Windjammer love it or hate it?

2 hours ago, Scrumps said:

What we enjoy most is the CHOICE..  some nights we eat in the MDR, some, depending on activities and excursions, we eat in WJ. That the choice is now being removed is disappointing. We know it is a breeding ground for germs, but that can be controlled. Make it mandatory to wash hands, not a suggestion. Have hand sanitizer around the area. Change out the serving utensils often. 

We are always careful when we go to WJ. We know it's likely we will pick up something from the area.. so we hold plates with one hand, server with another. When we get to our table, wipe it down and sanitize our hands. Not perfect, but we have never had an issue.

I really do not see WJ being any worse than the elevator, boardwalk, cafe's, the theater etc in regards to covid.  The main way that covid is being past is in droplets, not surfaces.

I wash my hands every time I go to the bathroom, but you'd be shocked at the amount of people who don't, especially the pool bathrooms. Nasty people are gonna be nasty, so for every positive action you take, there are several people negating your efforts.

Never had a chance to try the Windjammer.  I was looking forward to comparing it to the Garden Cafe on NCL.  We are not buffet lovers, but for fun I was going to try it out.  We would go to main dining or another food option for breakfast and dinner.  The buffet was a quick snack/lunch while at the pool.  I read the WJ has really good Indian food.  I hope there is still a WJ to go to.  I am alright with ordering from a server, iPad, or paper and pencil.  I am interested to see what they do with the space.

42 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

#what-a-waste-of-perfectly-good-pork

Next you'll tell me you order your filet mignon "very well done" then send it back to be "cooked just a little bit more."

Nope. Filet is medium rare only. But filet is also super-lean and not an exercise in working the jaw muscles to death at that cook.

Same with hamburgers; medium-rare, thanks. My wife and MIL, on the other hand, are lifetime members of the “hockey puck” club. ?

49 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Nope. Filet is medium rare only. But filet is also super-lean and not an exercise in working the jaw muscles to death at that cook.

Same with hamburgers; medium-rare, thanks. My wife and MIL, on the other hand, are lifetime members of the “hockey puck” club. ?

Agreed on all of this AND crispy bacon.. if I am served/only offered glistening, flimsy bacon, I would rather have none at all.

cook those bad boys LOW N' SLOW 

Last cruise we barely at at the wind jammer . My husband's not a breakfast guy I tried going for breakfast alone one morning couldn't even find a seat to put my bag down. Asked at several full tables and all seats were taken. Ended up going to the cafe promenade instead.

On nav last year we lived at el loco fresh.

15 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Okay, maybe we CAN be friends. Medium rare is the way to go for these items. I suppose you would use overcooked bacon on your medium rare bacon cheeseburger, but I'll have to let that slide.

We'll have to agree to disagree on pork products (medium is the way to go - for anything from pork loin to bacon).

13 hours ago, Kcusack89 said:

Last cruise we barely at at the wind jammer . My husband's not a breakfast guy I tried going for breakfast alone one morning couldn't even find a seat to put my bag down. Asked at several full tables and all seats were taken. Ended up going to the cafe promenade instead.

On nav last year we lived at el loco fresh.

I NEVER have difficulty finding a seat in WJ for breakfast.

Of course, by the end of the cruise if there are already ten people in the WJ before I arrive the washy-washy folks say they were worried because I'm late!

We've always liked the Windjammer as a quick dining option with decent buffet food and an absolute ton of variety. We only went there a couple of times for breakfast on our last cruise, but will certainly miss the convenience if they turn it into another table service or reservation only option. We always liked having it as an option in a pinch!

Needless to say, the buffet in the Solarium Bistro will have to follow the same rules. We went there for breakfast a number of times on our last cruise. 

21 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Me too.  I blame it on my son as I as pregnant with him when I joined the club.  Ya know that burger that's been on the grill since the party started?  Yeah, yeah that charcoal briquette.  That's mine!!!  Hubby knows if it doesn't crunch, it isn't ready!!  Only burgers though, medium for my steaks and chewy but not raw bacon.  Some of the stuff I've seen at WJ breakfast looks like its never actually been on the grill!!!!

I certainly love it and don't think I will be cruising again until they bring the buffet back. It would also be the time when it's safer to travel and these restrictions are lifted.

Cruising is all about the freedom and relaxation of a vacation, which other dining options don't provide. I tried specialty/main dining once but didn't feel like it. I like to feel free and relaxed with what I wear and how I eat all my meals.

And by the way, I don't like those who fill mountains of food in their plates and throw half of it. I actually do the opposite, I fill many smaller plates and I keep moving around between my table and the buffet to stay active while eating. I would rather waste water and dish washing than wasting food.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

#what-a-waste-of-perfectly-good-pork

Next you'll tell me you order your filet mignon "very well done" then send it back to be "cooked just a little bit more."

As a fellow North Carolinian, you should agree that there are parts of pork just seem better crispy....bacon, pork rinds. Dip pork rinds in pimento cheese and you have a good snack!

not a WJ fan ... too many people.

I dont eat a lot for brekkie, as I feel weighted down.  I don't like navigating the crowds, & waiting in line for maybe just 1 or 2 items.  I can grab those easier in the diamond lounge and its quieter, too.  we've been doing similar at Cafe promenade & I love those early mornings when you seem to have the whole ship to yourself.  I dont like to spoil that quiet with a noisy WJ. 

for lunch, its usually Cafe promenade or another small eatery like solarium bistro or something by the pool that's informal. I do like popping into the WJ for a burger though, if you can dodge the crowds.  for dinner, it's MDR every time.  i like the formality and flow of the MDR, and we usually don't have a problem coordinating other evening activities despite the 90 minutes or so you need to allocate for the MDR.

that said, WJ is definitely an institution, and hopefully it remains in some form or fashion.  part of what makes cruising great is that there is something for everyone, and WJ is a big part of that.  

crispy bacon for this guy ?

4 hours ago, KBugNC said:

As a fellow North Carolinian, you should agree that there are parts of pork just seem better crispy....bacon, pork rinds. Dip pork rinds in pimento cheese and you have a good snack!

Pimento cheese is an aberration that should be banished along with "barbecue sauce" based on vinegar or mustard.

No, I'm not a native of the Tar Heel State - and I find much of the "cuisine" to be curious at best.

Well, maybe not so fast... RC will be changing the Windjammer, but possibly not as dramatic as we all are assuming!

Maybe limited seating and crew members to serve you?

We'll see!

Fain indicated that “some of the press” were suggesting the buffet would “go from one thing that we’ve had for decades and suddenly morph into something very different.”

Continuing the discussion about buffets, the exec said that when it came to venues where “everybody reaches in and everybody touches the same tongs,” that was something “you’re not going to see on land or sea.”

However, he added, “it doesn’t mean that you don’t have a buffet. You might have it where all of that is served to you by other people.  And there [are] other possibilities. But the point is that it will evolve.”

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-changes-its-no-buffets-stance/

On 5/22/2020 at 4:40 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

Pimento cheese is an aberration that should be banished along with "barbecue sauce" based on vinegar or mustard.

No, I'm not a native of the Tar Heel State - and I find much of the "cuisine" to be curious at best.

Ha! Not a native....that explains it. ? I agree about the mustard sauce....yuck.

5 hours ago, themastodon said:

Love the desert area ?

I have to admit on the days when all of the different cakes are displayed, they simply look fantastic. I always take pictures and/or film them. But is it me, or has anyone else noticed that those awesome looking cakes look better then they taste.

19 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

I have to admit on the days when all of the different cakes are displayed, they simply look fantastic. I always take pictures and/or film them. But is it me, or has anyone else noticed that those awesome looking cakes look better then they taste.

100%. Generally, no flavor at all.  Huge disappointment 

19 hours ago, USFFrank said:

I tend to agree, and at times I’m not sure what some of the items are, but they sure look tasty.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:08 PM, USFFrank said:

Our sail away cake on Mariner in February was DELISH!!!  More than my share was probably consumed.?