POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Matt

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

9 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

They could use the Windjammer and Star Lounge space as a satellite MDR.   Not ideal but would satisfy proper distancing protocols.  

Yeah that would stink to be honest. I have to say, and I don't want to but I could see Royal looking at this elimination of the buffet as a cost savings thing too. I mean the buffet has got to be a money eater as well. It costs a lot of money to keep up with and maintain a buffet, especially of the size on cruise ships. 

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I mean the buffet has got to be a money eater as well. It costs a lot of money to keep up with and maintain a buffet, especially of the size on cruise ships. 

I don't see the buffet being eliminated.  It really caters to families really well.  Families and new cruisers are Royal's cash cow.  I do think we will see more health and food handling measures being implemented at the buffet.  Honestly, some of those measures were a long time coming.  

Just now, Rose City Cruiser said:

I don't see the buffet being eliminated.  It really caters to families really well.  Families and new cruisers are Royal's cash cow.  I do think we will see more health and food handling measures being implemented at the buffet.  Honestly, some of those measures were a long time coming.  

Now that I agree with. I get sick at some of things I see inconsiderate people doing in there. Servers are just fine to me. Keeps unwashed pigs from touching everything. If it's servers at each station I'm good. 

We will cruise again when it can be 100% guaranteed that even with an active (or suspected) covid case onboard, we can get off the ship at the end of the planned cruise and be on our way without being held or quarantined, and our companies not ordering us to self isolate without pay for 2 weeks.

Until then, we plan US based vacations where we can drive to.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, monctonguy said:

Just need the border to open up and I am there...that's the real issue here in Canada!!..we are banned from even driving to a neighboring province so not sure when i'll be able to get away again.

Do you think the ports will open on July 1 like they originally stated? We're supposed to do a Gulf of Alaska from Seward at the beginning of September. I'm optimistically hopeful. 

Frankly I'm not worried about Covid-19, but what does worry me is the onboard experience. I won't go on a cruise if a face mask is required onboard, that doesn't sound like vacation. I also worry some fun activities will go away or be changed for the worse. There could be some changes that make cruises more enjoyable too. We shall see.

Definitely though I will not cruise if face masks are required, and I love cruises and RCL.

@mark.s COVID-19 does not have a 99% cure rate, it seems to maybe have a 95-98% survival rate. Cure implies you won't ever get it again, that's a reason why they rate cancer by survival rates. I also want to note that while this virus seems mild, there are plenty of "survivors" who now suffer from plenty of side affects. I personally will not be taking the vaccine either...only because I would need time to feel comfortable...and for them to work out the kinks.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, Gears said:

From the news items out there, it seems that there might not ever be a vaccine (search 'can you get COVID-19 a second time'). I read two articles last weekend that outlined some medical community fears that this might end up having the same treatable characteristics as the common cold...and/or we're just zig-zagging our way to eventual herd immunity.

Either way...cruise on.

This is the kind of thing that may end up causing us a problem...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/uss-theodore-roosevelt-sailors-coronavirus/index.html

Speaking as a healthcare professional, I will say that I think that cruising is safe if you do not have a pre-existing condition.  Most people that become acutely sick from COVID have some condition such as age, diabetes, hypertension, cardiac conditions, cancer, immunosuppression, COPD, that put them at a higher risk.  Most people with out any risk factors, may only develop a headache or loss of smell or very low grade fever and not even know that they are sick with COVID.  So, I believe as long as people are aware of their health conditions, it is up to each individual to decide if it is safe for them to go on a cruise.  We have re-booked for September.

1 hour ago, mook1525 said:

”Would you cruise if wearing mask is required in public area including pool deck?”

Because that is likely to happen in my opinion 

I dont see that happening.  I don't believe it is practical, possible or enforceable. I foresee some additional waiver of liability. Etc instead.

There is a cruise leaving Baltimore Dec 10th unfortunately none of the family would be able to go and I would have to go solo, given the price point that they are offering it is making it hard for me to resist.  I honestly would isolate myself and wash my hands more regularly and be very conscious of what I touch but I would gladly sail before there is a vaccine.  I am not downplaying the seriousness of the illness but I have seen patients that have some serious comorbidities such as being diabetic, having hypertension and weighing over 500 pounds and the only symptom that they had of being COVID positive was that they lost their sense of smell for two weeks.  To the opposite end of the spectrum where people are being intubated, and placed on the vent.  I understand the choice I am making and feel that if I am able to use the same common sense that I use when I go out anyway that I should be fine, wear a mask in certain places, washy-washy, sanitize like its going out of style and just relax and enjoy the cruise! 

51 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

There is a cruise leaving Baltimore Dec 10th unfortunately none of the family would be able to go and I would have to go solo, given the price point that they are offering it is making it hard for me to resist.  I honestly would isolate myself and wash my hands more regularly and be very conscious of what I touch but I would gladly sail before there is a vaccine.  I am not downplaying the seriousness of the illness but I have seen patients that have some serious comorbidities such as being diabetic, having hypertension and weighing over 500 pounds and the only symptom that they had of being COVID positive was that they lost their sense of smell for two weeks.  To the opposite end of the spectrum where people are being intubated, and placed on the vent.  I understand the choice I am making and feel that if I am able to use the same common sense that I use when I go out anyway that I should be fine, wear a mask in certain places, washy-washy, sanitize like its going out of style and just relax and enjoy the cruise! 

Exactly this. I'm going on the cruise that follows that one. Hopefully by that point, I'll have 2 other cruises under my belt and will be an old hand at whatever they're asking of us...but I'm definitely not cancelling.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@mark.s COVID-19 does not have a 99% cure rate, it seems to maybe have a 95-98% survival rate. Cure implies you won't ever get it again, that's a reason why they rate cancer by survival rates. I also want to note that while this virus seems mild, there are plenty of "survivors" who now suffer from plenty of side affects. I personally will not be taking the vaccine either...only because I would need time to feel comfortable...and for them to work out the kinks.

My problem is that we do not have good numbers for a survival rate as there was not widespread testing early enough.  Also, what is classified as a COVID-19 death is questionable at times.  What frustrates me is that I cannot make good decisions when all I have is junky, inconsistent information....

28 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

My problem is that we do not have good numbers for a survival rate as there was not widespread testing early enough.  Also, what is classified as a COVID-19 death is questionable at times.  What frustrates me is that I cannot make good decisions when all I have is junky, inconsistent information....

In 1954, Darrell Huff wrote "How to lie with Statistics", it remains readily available and I found it highly entertaining. It must be required reading for those in the media today. While we are being constantly fed dire predictions and frightening graphs, there are other recent studies that show the infection rate to be as much as 85 times higher than reported. This would mean that the survival rate would be approaching 99.9%. Of course, virtually no reporting exists for these studies ?

15 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

So that's a good thing or bad? I mean I could see that both ways. I'd rather have the antibodies and mostly likely not be able to get it again. That is an easy test right? Just prick your finger?

It was a blood draw, yes I can see your point good or bad.  I really thought I was asymptomatic.  

Even though I missed the deadline (already read the blog post ☺️) I'll add another vote for unsure. It's not that I wouldn't go, but as others expressed, what's the on-board experience going to be like ... and wearing a mask is a 99% deal breaker for me, at least for my September sailing. 

@jaredhamburg This is exactly why I am an advocate for time....we really don't know enough to say either way. We don't know if the antibodies will do any good, how many strains there are, etc. I just want to cruise when I can enjoy it, not in a mask and definetly not with the intense threat of an unknown virus and further quarantine restrictions.

46 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@jaredhamburg This is exactly why I am an advocate for time....we really don't know enough to say either way. We don't know if the antibodies will do any good, how many strains there are, etc. I just want to cruise when I can enjoy it, not in a mask and definetly not with the intense threat of an unknown virus and further quarantine restrictions.

I feel the same - how many times is the flu vaccine wrong- almost every single year!  It is still too early to know either way.  I guess we are all on the fence and don't know which side is safe to fall over on ?

20 minutes ago, Marlena said:

Will they sail with 10% of passengers? Cancel it all together?

I think they would go the route that airlines do when it comes to overall practice.  They know the exact percentage that they have to have on avg.  IE let's say 55%.  It is okay if 1 flight goes off with 25% as long as another goes off with 85% so between the two they maintain that 55%.  If the number drops below, than guess what?  They will re-deploy their planes to an area where they can maintain that avg.  

I can see them saying Aug. 8th on XYZ is 35%.  Aug 15th is 60%.   We need 40% to break even.  Cancel the 8th with hopes they will move to the 15th and sail at 60%

1 hour ago, RichardMexico said:

The best vaccine ever is:

1)Have a healthy life :

• Do sports
  • Eat healthy
  • Rest enough (8 hour sleep)
  • Do not stress/fear

2) Go and get the damn virus... drink a lot of water, rest well, dont panic and you will be ok

Tell that to the brother of my daughter's classmate -- 24 years old, EMT, healthy as an ox, and died from the virus less than a week after getting confirmed with having it.

Tell it to the thousands like him who are now gone and buried. Sorry, but I am not in the mood to hear any kind of statement like that. Here or anywhere else.

I just don't see how wearing a mask is a dealbreaker. You're choosing staying home over having a vacation merely because a piece of fabric may have to be lightly attached to your face? If you have a well fitting mask, it shouldn't fog your glasses (I wear glasses every time, sometimes 2 pair if it's sunny, NERD ALERT) and with a light enough fabric, breathing easily shouldn't be an issue. If it helps us all stay safer and greatly lessens spread via moisture, why not wear one? I do it to keep others around me safe, not because I like the way it looks or feels. 

Wearing a mask in a public venue on a vacation on a Royal ship  >  not wearing a mask sitting at home for sure! 

30 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Wearing a mask in a public venue on a vacation on a Royal ship  >  not wearing a mask sitting at home for sure! 

I have to agree, for me wearing a cloth mask and being able to walk around in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops and relax is absolutely NOTHING like wearing this all shift and being uncomfortable .  I would not wear it the entire time but mainly when I was in public places, which is why having a balcony would be important since I would be able to order breakfast or another meal through room service and sit out there and enjoy it and watch the waves roll by.   

7F618748-CC0B-460B-AC7D-963EAA295747.jpeg

53 minutes ago, DDaley said:

I just don't see how wearing a mask is a dealbreaker. You're choosing staying home over having a vacation merely because a piece of fabric may have to be lightly attached to your face? If you have a well fitting mask, it shouldn't fog your glasses (I wear glasses every time, sometimes 2 pair if it's sunny, NERD ALERT) and with a light enough fabric, breathing easily shouldn't be an issue. If it helps us all stay safer and greatly lessens spread via moisture, why not wear one? I do it to keep others around me safe, not because I like the way it looks or feels. 

You have some valid points but I am just saying I have seen many people say wearing a mask would be a deal breaker. 

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

I just don't see how wearing a mask is a dealbreaker.

My wife is a nurse and while she doesn't have to wear @bhageerah's respirator thing (+1 to you for still being okay wearing a mask & thank you!) she doesn't want to, and neither do I, not for our September cruise at least, not yet. 

However, we have a harsh reality to face (pun?), I just don't see how they aren't going to require masks for indoor areas, such as the promenade, arcades, etc. MGM resorts laid out their plan and on that list was masks. 

4 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

However, we have a harsh reality to face (pun?), I just don't see how they aren't going to require masks for indoor areas, such as the promenade, arcades, etc. MGM resorts laid out their plan and on that list was masks. 

+1 on this.  

Mask or no mask is not a deal breaker for me, but I don't see either how they can't require a mask for public areas.  Look at Disney Springs opening this week.  Mask is mandatory for anyone 3+.

So...just gonna say that the effective flu vaccine came out in the 40s, 20 years after the pandemic. No part of me advocates being sick, as I said in my first post for this I have personally lost 5 people closed to me, all healthy and including 2 children. That said when Universal and Disney opened, tons of people decided they don't need to wear mask. How about the people who are attacking others at restaurants or stores because they cannot get served without them? These place can refuse service, yet there is outrage. I would not cruise if mask are required because that is nothing but added stress on a vacation, those of us following the rules would be unintentionally focused on those who don't comply.

So... I don't wanna wear a mask. It's annoying. I wear one at work everyday. Not a big deal, but it's annoying. Also I don't want to get sick, because who wants to get sick. I'm also not gonna worry about it, if it happens it happens. Covid or Flu or the common cold, i'd prefer not to get sick. I still don't want to wear a mask. I also don't want to unknowingly get someone else sick. I will have some carefulness when I'm in public for me and others until this blows over. I'm also respectful of others when in crowded places on land or sea, and I'm also wondering what other disgusting people have been doing to not be respectful to others. Still not wearing a mask. If I'm spending $8000 to take my family on a cruise, I'm not wearing a freaking mask in the swimming pool. I'm not gonna battle my 4 year old son for a week to wear a mask at the swimming pool. That's insanity. Not vacation.

But I care about me and I care about you.