POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Matt

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

This comes out as selfish I realize, but I need a few cases of "you first". I need people to sail and see they're okay...admittedly I don't know exactly what that means but I need for some time to go by to cruise. I don't think I need a vaccine to cruise though.

I don't know how life will look on a cruise. I have issues when strangers stand too close to me to begin with. I ride mass transit (not for last two months) and already know when I get back the train will feel weird and unsafe. I already can see the fights breaking out because someone coughed or sat too close.

If I need to wear a mask, sure. I don't care. I just want things somewhat back to normal or the new normal.

8 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@RCIfan1912 I'm a firm believer that masks currently being worn do nothing for you, as they are not the proper masks required. The general population doesn't understand the transmittal process, much less what it requires for a true decontamination. Think of it this way...you wear a mask, but no gloves and go into a store, pick up an item then decide you don't want it, like many before you have. You place it back on the shelf continue with your shopping.   Later on after you get back home and unload the items that you purchased from your bags, placing thing where they needed to be.  Did you decontaminate the items before you put them away?  Who all touched those items before you did? Did they have the virus? Did you touch your face or any part of your body, without thinking about it?  Did the store decontaminate the items before they put them on the shelfs? What about the people loading and unloading?

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 7.40.23 AM.png

It is required by the Governor here in NJ and most states. It is also store policy. If you go into a store you should wear one or be thrown out. I wear a bandanna, its not the end of the world. Its just an added extra precaution. To say its "taking away your constitutional right" is certifiable. Its just protection. 

From the news items out there, it seems that there might not ever be a vaccine (search 'can you get COVID-19 a second time'). I read two articles last weekend that outlined some medical community fears that this might end up having the same treatable characteristics as the common cold...and/or we're just zig-zagging our way to eventual herd immunity.

Either way...cruise on.

And if I may politely add, that tweet from the Surgeon General is from Feb 20, a lifetime ago in regards to the pandemic, at a time when healthcare workers desperately needed masks.   I’m also guessing those who were hoarding masks ( and toilet paper) are the same who are now against using them.  My take is this (and it applies to WDW too!),  if masks are required to partake in my 2 favorite vacations then I must wear a mask.  For me the question is not whether it really helps or if it is enforceable once there but that these companies are feeling their way through this.  If they are erring on the side of caution, why are we making it more difficult?  What gives us the right to tell them which rules we will or won’t follow?  To me the choice is simple.  If masks are required you either go AND WEAR ONE or put off the trip.

Ok, off my soapbox and praying for my Feb cruise????

6 hours ago, J-Fitz said:

This is a site for huge fans of cruising and specifically RC, of course there doesn’t need to be a vaccine for people to want to cruise.

You're right we're biased, but I am genuinely curious what percentage of "super fans" are willing to go. It's not going to be 100%, so what percentage will it be? It's almost like grading on a curve in that it will be interesting to see how skewed or not are the results.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

You're right we're biased, but I am genuinely curious what percentage of "super fans" are willing to go. It's not going to be 100%, so what percentage will it be? It's almost like grading on a curve in that it will be interesting to see how skewed or not are the results.

I find your survey very interesting.. I have already said I am going as soon as they let us BUT I have no kids and no grandparents.. I have my dad but I don't live with him.. I am very curious to know what is your vote Matt? No judgment I just really want to know how you feel? I know you have more of a risk with having a family but as our "Leader" how do you feel about it? again not trying to judge you if your scared I just really am curious how you feel. 

I gave a bit of a glib, silly answer yesterday after I made my vote. In all seriousness, yes, I would go if RCCL is allowed to sail. Sailing means that they've submitted a plan to the CDC -- or at the very least, have a very strong one internally. None of the cruise lines are going to sail before they're certain they're doing all they can. They are under such a microscope now, I can't even imagine. They've become one of this pandemic's whipping boys. Nobody wants to get back to doing what they do -- and doing it right -- more than the cruise lines. Of this, I have no doubt. And I'd like to think that cruisers who decide to cruise (who, let's face it, are not as likely to be brand-new to cruising) will do what they need to do in order to get to enjoy their vacation. On 2 of my 3 upcoming cruises, I have a balcony. I'm hoping to upgrade the third (on which I at least have an ocean view) to that option, too, so if we're required to isolate at certain times, then it won't be so bad.

I need this vacation. Yes, I know there are alternatives to cruising, but honestly, nothing for me packs a value quite like cruising. I don't drive...I travel solo. And bam -- I get outstanding culinary choices, changes in scenery every day, and a chance to meet new folks and unwind. All while letting someone else do the driving...er...sailing. But truthfully, I need this. I know there may be a potential risk to my physical health, but real talk here...my mental health is already taking a beating. My life's been turned upside down and inside out in the last 8 months by medical things, and I've seen much-needed breaks and breathers evaporate, first because of pain and infection, and now because of this virus threat.

I am fully prepared to accept any requirement to self-isolate for 14 days after a cruise as mandated by my state. I live a thousand miles away from my family -- I've always kinda done my own thing and been in my own place in the world. So it's reassuring to know I wouldn't run the risk of infecting them if I were to get sick. I have friends I've talked to about this eventuality, and they are more than willing to pick up groceries or other things for me if it comes to this, and I'd be able to continue to work from home without any real interruption to my schedule. I can also safely isolate from my roommate without much trouble, made even easier when my roommate's schedule goes back to normal, too, and they're able to go to their office.

I just want to feel normal again -- even in a new normal. I wanna be able to put the world on hold for 7-8 days and just explore and recharge. I promised myself 2020 would be the year I'd be better to myself and start seeing the world. And if there's any way possible at all, I wanna keep that promise, even if I have to do it with a mask at times.

I voted yes, although I did lift and shift my September cruise to next year.  I did this for several reasons; not sure it will actually go or go to the scheduled ports (it's a NE/Canada cruise) and it's a first cruise for my son and dil.  The dil has a fear of flying and ships and we picked this one because it's very port intensive, and while we would be happy sailing in circles i know they wouldn't enjoy it.  Now I have three cruises scheduled for next year and the wife says "we have to wait till March to cruise, i won't make it that long". LOL  Told her if they start cruising this fall maybe we can sneak in a last minute sailing if the price is right.

We both are immune compromised and will take the vaccine as soon as it's available.  I'm a cancer survivor and when I was first diagnosed my oncologist said the question everyone has is "Will i die from this cancer, he said maybe but you could also get hit by a bus when you leave here".  My take on this is live your life don't worry what may happen tomorrow. 

I have had extensive training on the use of masks both for chemical warfare, painting and toxic chemicals. The CDC, Surgeon General and others have lied to us about the use of masks, there are many types of mask and they all work to a certain degree or no one would be wearing them.  Some masks are better than others, the SN95 masks filters 95% of particles larger than 0.3 microns other masks including the homemade ones are not as effective with surgical masks better than cloth ones.  The other lie is they don't protect you from getting covid-19 but prevent you from transmitting it to others, to believe that you have to believe that the filter only filters one way.  Any mask is better than no mask if you are in contact with someone that has it, the problem is they haven't told us how easy it is to catch it.  There have been some saying that you won't catch it just walking by someone unless they cough or sneeze.  I wear my mask when I have to go out to the store or dr and will continue until the positive test results drop to zero or close to zero.  Avoid touching your face and wash your hands frequently.

3 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

It is required by the Governor here in NJ and most states. It is also store policy.

There will never be 100% compliance.  It's like seat belts.  To this day people still get ticketed for not wearing one even though there is proven data it may save your life in a MVA.  People are still driving under the influence.  There are a lot of things that are out of our control.  Only thing we can focus on it how we feel will keep ourselves and families safe. 

With that being said, it's been a while since my Leafs are still in the season in the month of May.  

If you are looking for an overwhelming Yes response than this is the place you will find it.

But in reality people are going to transition back to normal at all kinds of different rates and as they see comfortable. There is no switch that gets flicked back normal. It will takes years to get back to 2019.

That being said, people are not looking for a vacation. They have been on a vacation for a month and a half and as much as they would like to get out of their house, getting away from it all is not on their radar.

I voted No. Cruises for me involve airplanes, airports, hotels, and ground transportation. I need to feel comfortable and safe with all of those things before I make the decision whether being safe on a cruise ship is even possible.

I personally hate wearing mask, I find myself touching my face to adjust said mask 23x more than I would not wearing one. However, as a decent human being, I would wear one if required to do simple activities. People like @Matt who live in Florida or who can drive to ports, will have an easier time saying yes. Far harder for me in Chicago to be comfortable as it not just a cruise I am worried about. I have a bunch of other variables to consider such as a full flight and people who are anti-whatever. 

I hate to say this but I fear we have become too impatient, just look at the refund thread?, people want things to go back to normal fast. It has literally been 2 months and look at how the world has devolved and evolved. If anything we used to do opened up, there would be lines.....correction there are line...look at Universal and Disney. Some people are like "nobody wants to cruise or go on vacation, we been on vacation." But that is just not true. A lot of people still worked through this, their minds have told them they need a break. I am sure contrarians will book their first cruise just to prove a point.

21 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I personally hate wearing mask, I find myself touching my face to adjust said mask 23x more than I would not wearing one. 

I did this with my first mask, which didn't fit very well.  My new one fits so well that I forget it's on and never have to adjust it (granted I only wear it when at Costco - I rarely ever go anywhere else.)  We don't wear them at work, even though I wish we did. While the dispatchers can social distance from each other, I have to get right up next to them when they have a problem on their computer, usually within 2 feet. It makes me uncomfortable.  My dispatchers are young and will likely be the first ones driving across the border to drink at bars in Wisconsin since they're open now.  I wear my mask to hopefully protect others from me, should I be positive and asymptomatic.  

@JohnK6404  and @SpeedNoodles I have tried 3 kinds and the one I tied myslef worked the best. I just cannot wear it more than an hour or two. I would forget for 20 or 30 mins but then my hair would tickle the strap or I would feel claustrophobic. My brother wears glasses and the fog thing is his only issue...he is also an engineer so he has worn mask at job sites.

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@JohnK6404  and @SpeedNoodles I have tried 3 kinds and the one I tied myslef worked the best. I just cannot wear it more than an hour or two. 

This is true.  I really don't know what it's like to wear it very long.  I'm at Costco for about 20 minutes, so that's my limit of having worn one, lol.

44 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I hate to say this but I fear we have become too impatient, just look at the refund thread?, people want things to go back to normal fast.

Sadly, it was exactly the same during the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. Exact same attempts to get people to isolate, calls to reopen that were far too soon, people out protesting the shut-downs, and graphs showing how those towns that opened back up too fast suffered far worse in disease and death than those that held steady. My friends on FB have posted the photos of the old newspaper clippings, the graphs from the scientific journals, etc. for about a month now.

@JLMoran And that lasted 2 years because they refused to listen. My neighbors keep saying we have way more technology than 100 years ago, so we should be able to snap back fast. I keep reminding him that technology is not science but said technology should make it easier for us to comply.

Also depending on the material of the mask, it could make your breath substantially worse. It is basically collecting bacteria and germs, holding them inside so you can breath over and over again. ?

On 5/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, JLMoran said:

I'm similar to @SpeedNoodles, in that I think both my younger daughter and I got it back in late January, when it first started showing up in the New York / NJ area. If that's correct and I can get an antibody test that proves it, you'll have to beat me off with a baseball bat to stop me setting foot on the gangway.

Hypothetical, and strictly out of curiosity, if you and your younger daughter indeed test positive for antibodies, but others in your family group do not, would you still cruise as a family without the vaccine?

3 minutes ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

Hypothetical, and strictly out of curiosity, if you and your younger daughter indeed test positive for antibodies, but others in your family group do not, would you still cruise as a family without the vaccine?

Heh, you just called out the unspoken qualifier from Matt's poll question. He asked if I was comfortable; he didn't say anything about whether the whole family unit was! ?

If my daughter and I did test positive for antibodies, you can bet I'd have my wife tested as well since she was home with us the whole time we were sick, and I can't see how she wouldn't have caught whatever it was from us. The only wildcard is my older daughter, who was away at college for that whole time. But her campus was also dealing with a nasty bug, including at least one classmate who was tested for Covid-19 but came back negative, so who knows there. If either my wife or my older daughter came back negative for antibodies, and we still didn't have a vaccine, then I'd leave it up to them how they felt about doing the trip.

That said, my wife is talking about maybe going up to Niagara falls (NY side) during the summer if things open up enough to make interstate travel possible again. So clearly she's not over-worried as long as we're following precautions of social distancing, wearing our masks in public, avoiding restaurants that didn't seat us outdoors, etc.

57 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

And that lasted 2 years because they refused to listen. My neighbors keep saying we have way more technology than 100 years ago, so we should be able to snap back fast. I keep reminding him that technology is not science but said technology should make it easier for us to comply.

And science / technology is not at a level where we can beat spontaneous evolution / mutation. What made Spanish Flu so incredibly deadly was the mutation that happened over the summer; the death toll in the initial outbreak was bad, but not horrifying. The horrifying part came when fall rolled around and the new strain began killing 10x more than the initial strain did.

So far at least, Covid-19 is proving to be far more stable in the key parts of its genetics than Spanish Flu ever was. So with luck we won't have to face the hell of an even deadlier strain than what we've got now. Because this is already quite enough for me, thank you very much.

12 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

I think the next question is CAN you still go on a cruise if your work requires a 10 day isolation.   I've heard of people restricting travel because of quarantine restrictions in place by their employers.  

Larry

i'm retired and self employed.  I will quarantine myself upon return. ?

13 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

I think the next question is CAN you still go on a cruise if your work requires a 10 day isolation.   I've heard of people restricting travel because of quarantine restrictions in place by their employers.  

Larry

We booked our right before christmas holidays for that reason. We will be off for 2 weeks after we return so that work doesnt make an issue

20 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

I've heard of people restricting travel because of quarantine restrictions in place by their employers.  

That opens up another conversation.  How much information about your vacation does an employer have the right to know?  There are many who refuses to wear a mask.  I am certain most will not disclose their actual travel plans to their employers.    

The odds of a single contact involving the virus are small, assuming independent events and random exposure.  However, the probability of being exposed to the virus after several hundred contacts approaches certainty.  Just do the math, and you will see.  So we will all be exposed at some point.  I won't cruise until my wife and I feel it is safe -- that we can mitigate the risk, or have access to effective treatment, or have access to a vaccine.  This is still a virus the kills healthy people without underlying conditions.  

But  we face parallel risks at home  -- going for groceries, gas, etc.  Again, we will all be exposed within a year unless we are recluses.  At some point we will make a personal decision to balance the risks at home and travel.  

We are scheduled to cruise in early 2022, and I believe that will be a good time.

22 hours ago, mworkman said:

@RCIfan1912 I'm a firm believer that masks currently being worn do nothing for you, as they are not the proper masks required. The general population doesn't understand the transmittal process, much less what it requires for a true decontamination. Think of it this way...you wear a mask, but no gloves and go into a store, pick up an item then decide you don't want it, like many before you have. You place it back on the shelf continue with your shopping.   Later on after you get back home and unload the items that you purchased from your bags, placing thing where they needed to be.  Did you decontaminate the items before you put them away?  Who all touched those items before you did? Did they have the virus? Did you touch your face or any part of your body, without thinking about it?  Did the store decontaminate the items before they put them on the shelfs? What about the people loading and unloading?

Good points, the gloves are needed with the masks, and other cleaning procedures are also needed.  The purpose of the mask is to prevent you from infecting others.  The  masks do  mitigate the distribution of droplets that contain germs.  If everyone wears masks and gloves,  there are simply fewer particles anywhere.  That is the real point.  We could shut this down if we all cooperated.

I know it is frustrating, but we must all be smart about this.

1 minute ago, Albondigas said:

Good points, the gloves are needed with the masks, and other cleaning procedures are also needed.  The purpose of the mask is to prevent you from infecting others.  The  masks do  mitigate the distribution of droplets that contain germs.  If everyone wears masks and gloves,  there are simply fewer particles anywhere.  That is the real point.  We could shut this down if we all cooperated.

I know it is frustrating, but we must all be smart about this.

I'm not getting into this again. It's whatever. 

Back to cruises, hopefully cruises can start by August without crazy restrictions. Sounds like the buffet is ending at least for a while. We only eat at the buffet usually for breakfast, sometimes, maybe once or twice on a cruise for lunch or snack. It's nice to have though if you need a quick bite though especially if you are running out for an excursion or between excursions in port. 

4 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

It would be nice if they have an expanded room service breakfast menu at no additional cost if the buffet is shut down.

Well that is the million dollar question. It's it "shut down" or just buffet served by servers? I can't imagine it's completely "shut down". If it's shut down it can't be wasted space and everyone that would have eaten there will cram into the MDR and that certainly wouldn't be shy kind of distancing. It will be interesting to see the solutions the cruise lines come up with. I agree with one thing most people say, you cannot social distance nor would you want to on a cruise. 

Maybe our cruise on Oasis Sept 6th will be one of the first and we can see first hand. I'll be a ginny pig if only for curiosity sake. I just don't want to be quarantined for 14 days after the cruise. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

If it's shut down it can't be wasted space and everyone that would have eaten there will cram into the MDR and that certainly wouldn't be shy kind of distancing

They could use the Windjammer and Star Lounge space as a satellite MDR.   Not ideal but would satisfy proper distancing protocols.