POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Matt

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

7 minutes ago, gtgtgt said:

It still all depends on the on-board experience.  I won't go if we have to wear a mask ?.

Heck I would wear my SCBA, nah, it's to heavy and it would only last 40 minutes.  I would bring my own, but it would be a nice gesture if Royal provided in the stateroom on the first day one for each day per person.  They get skanky past one day.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

We finally have a drive-through testing facility in the general neighborhood, but here in VA they will not test you unless you "qualify", which, I assume, means that you are symptomatic.  BS

The antibody test will be different, since it's for post exposure.  I'm waiting for them to be sure they have accurate ones available.  

But what if my mask doesn't match my formal night suit?    I won't have to wear it, right?  How about an ascot?

But seriously - I'm 58.  Not old by most standards, but my dad died at 64, and Lord knows my health ain't great,

especially having to miss racquetball for all these weeks.  My eyes seem like they're getting worse by the day.

I didn't start cruising until 2015, so I have a LOT of catching up to do.  So, my wife and I agree - we're going.

199 days until my virginal sailing on Harmony to the western Caribbean.  Oh, we're definitely going.

image.jpeg.858f3265dbe556895a988703e8c0a05c.jpeg

2 hours ago, PRC said:

Not concerned about a vaccine, my deciding factor will be what the "new" onboard experience is.

Based on the atmosphere at the opened restaurants here in Texas, i cant imagine the policing of very public place on a cruise ship.  

The line for a drink would be from pool bar back to windjammer with appropriate distancing.

I work in a supermarket.  Our state made masks mandatory only a week or so....and few people wear them correctly anyway.  In addition, most customers have no idea what six feet actually is.  I've had crowds of people right next to me since this whole thing started.

It's kinda funny...for all the posturing I've seen on various social media sites and the mainstream media, people seem to forget about everything when they come grocery shopping. 

Flying to the port and cruising doesn't worry me at all.  We plan on flying November 8 and cruising November 9

+ 1 for needing the borders to open up

Another factor....are they still going to quarantine the whole ship if someone gets it....and then not let us back to port?  Or is there a way they will just quarantine the person/family?  That in itself is a big item that will decide.

I tried to Lift & Slide today....to no avail even with my TA working like crazy to get it done. I to have no problem sailing again as soon as we can but clearly my 28 June 2020 sailing is a no go, but I saw an availability on 26 July 2020 so I thought hummmm, maybe I can slide it over and it's a win win, I sail they keep the monies. BIG NOPE! Royal is already holding over $2,000.00 in cruise planner refunds that I have zero idea when they are to be put back on my credit card, if you remember from a previous post they mistakenly said something was processed when it wasn't, still waiting. Now even with all of this going on and my willingness to slide over my monies to a cheaper in cost sailing they want me to....wait for it, CANCEL and then re-book thus now essentially having 20,000.00 of my money because I would be waiting for the $9,000.00 refund (June sailing) as well as my cruise planner still. No Thanks, what a shame penny wise and dollar foolish, shame on you Royal, please get it together, you are making it so hard to stay Loyal to Royal. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

I miss being on the water so much.......

ocean GIF

As much as I love travel and live by the "you only have one life rule...I voted no. I am pretty shocked that No is rated so low. I was pretty gung-ho in the beginning but too much has happened. I am pretty sure I had COVID-19 in Feb, I took an antibody test. The current antibody test are not exactly reliable and it has not been proven without a shadow of doubt that you cannot get it multiple times. I get the flu vaccine and yet I have had the flu...we have had a century of immunity built up from the flu. We have yet to stop the initial outbreak of COVID-19. I am not saying no out of fearmongering but personal perception. I have lost 2 godchildren (6 and 8), 2 long time friends (35,41) and have know countless others who lost parents and grandparents.

The ones I know took every precaution, yet over half died as a result of asymptomatic family members. My mother works in a large supermarket, she constantly has to tell people to move 6 ft away. That is my major issue, that everyone is not doing their part. If you believe this is some conspiracy or that a 2% or less mortally rate means: you don't have to wear a mask, socially distance, or wash your hand before touching things, then you are the problem. I don't get it, who wants to be sick if you don't have to be? Since so many people fail to grasp what they do affects others, I am going to need a vaccine. A vaccine will ease their burden of stupidity, so someone can disregarding my personal space by taking a selfie, but I can have piece of mind.

I have always been a germaphobe and this has made it worst, all I do is watch people spread germs innocuously. I have been on enough cruises to know that more than 80% of people only wash their hand when forced to by cruise attendants. They kiss their kids who run, jump, play and touch on everything. They sometime handle cute baby sloths and ugly, filthy monkeys; then touch x, y, and z before washing their hands. On CCL's Liberty I watched a kid touch 4 hotdogs, trying to decide which one is better. RCCI does a much better job but I still worry because a lot of people are a$$holes.

I think with the new protocols that will be in place, I would cruise in a heartbeat! Now, if I started to hear news of ships with infected passengers, etc., I might take a pass at that time, but I believe all the cruise lines will do everything in their power to insure safety of their crew and passengers and measures to be taken if someone did get sick with the virus. If they say it's okay, then, I'M ALL IN!  I just love cruising too much to sit out any longer than I have to! 

Generally speaking I’m ready to cruise but having done a lot of Caribbean cruising over the past 2 years I was moving towards more unique, exotic or distant cruises. 

I am eager to get back on those exotic cruises but I suspect those won’t be offered in the initial opening of cruising.  Three and four night Bahamas for someone who has to fly to cruise just doesn’t work given the need to fly in a germ can to get there.  If I lived in Florida my outlook would be different.  

So it isn’t the ship that’s going to hinder my return to cruising but the plane ride to make the ship.  For the right cruise I’d suck it up and fly but not for a short cruise even to PDCC.  

I voted "unsure". I think it depends on a whole lot of other factors in addition to the availability of a vaccine, particularly the atmosphere and restrictions on board and in ports. In fact that's mostly why we L&S-ed our September Allure cruise (apart from not believing it will not get cancelled anyway). 

I hope that by time our new cruise on Harmony comes around (500 days! It seems sooooo far away!) we will be on board and enjoying it.

53 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Why ?  What was the problem that they wouldn’t let you L&S ?

@WAAAYTOOO the problem they said was it was after final payment, they would not budge, I can't give them more money not knowing when my refund would be returned so now I will wait for my 125% FCC and apply to my really well priced previously scheduled, so actually they lost big time. Just a shame. I'm sad, ?

Oh and I wanted to lift and slide to next month, I could only lift and shift to next year, not interested already have scheduled sailings then. 

Yes to cruising, but this is dependent on ?? reopening borders, airlines restartIng international flights, and government easing public health requirements for 14 day quarantine when returning from travel. And who knows what our schools policy will be ?‍♀️.  But on the bright side, Some businesses including hair salons reopened today in our province and I got my hair done!! Who knew you could get so excited over a cut and highlight. ?  

50 minutes ago, Jax said:

Yes to cruising, but this is dependent on ?? reopening borders, airlines restartIng international flights, and government easing public health requirements for 14 day quarantine when returning from travel. And who knows what our schools policy will be ?‍♀️.  But on the bright side, Some businesses including hair salons reopened today in our province and I got my hair done!! Who knew you could get so excited over a cut and highlight. ?  

I'm ready to pay someone in a back alley to do my roots...

I have two cruises booked later this year that I would like to go on. I have the Brilliance GC and Explorer over Thanksgiving booked. I am willing and wanting to go on these cruises with the assumption that things will continue to improve between now and then. The one thing that may keep me from going on a cruise is work and/or CDC guidelines that would require a quarantine post cruise since I am a healthcare worker I can’t just work from home following the cruise. I plan on keeping my bookings and cancelling last minute with the cruise with confidence program if it becomes necessary. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Generally speaking I’m ready to cruise but having done a lot of Caribbean cruising over the past 2 years I was moving towards more unique, exotic or distant cruises. 

I am eager to get back on those exotic cruises but I suspect those won’t be offered in the initial opening of cruising.  Three and four night Bahamas for someone who has to fly to cruise just doesn’t work given the need to fly in a germ can to get there.  If I lived in Florida my outlook would be different.  

So it isn’t the ship that’s going to hinder my return to cruising but the plane ride to make the ship.  For the right cruise I’d suck it up and fly but not for a short cruise even to PDCC.  

Full agreement here; for me, I can't see flying for anything less than a 7-day cruise, and even then, the airfare (and hotel) would have to be a really good price to make me consider it. I responded yes to the poll, but it's more a "yes, but..."

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I'm similar to @SpeedNoodles, in that I think both my younger daughter and I got it back in late January, when it first started showing up in the New York / NJ area. If that's correct and I can get an antibody test that proves it, you'll have to beat me off with a baseball bat to stop me setting foot on the gangway.

The CityMD urgent care center in Teterboro offers the antibody test. My wife and I got tested last week. 

Antibody test is fairly easy to get. I unfortunately tested negative for that. I'm around the virus pretty frequently, but less people coming in for the regular test and less showing up positive the past 2 weeks so that's a good thing.

God willing ill be cruising in September. If masks are required, hopefully they are only required for shows.

This is a site for huge fans of cruising and specifically RC, of course there doesn’t need to be a vaccine for people to want to cruise.

And honestly the biggest deterrent for me is that it wouldn’t be the full vacation experience because there would likely be many restrictions for me to be paying full price. Racking up that vacation time for when I can cruise worry free. 

27 minutes ago, J-Fitz said:

This is a site for huge fans of cruising and specifically RC, of course there doesn’t need to be a vaccine for people to want to cruise.

And honestly the biggest deterrent for me is that it wouldn’t be the full vacation experience because there would likely be many restrictions for me to be paying full price. Racking up that vacation time for when I can cruise worry free. 

I have tried to imagine a cruise that had real social distancing. The ship would have to be about 25% capacity.

In my limited geographical experience, social distancing is a joke.  25% capacity or 100% capacity doesn’t matter. 

People will stay the proper distance apart until they want something or feel they have the “right” to do something.  

We experience this everyday in supermarkets where capacity is limited based on square footage.   

We cruise for the adventure and opportunity to meet new people. For me, the benefits don't outweigh the risks. I don't know why, but I routinely get sick when I go on vacation lol... I couldn't imagine adding a pandemic into the mix ? They would probably have to medivac me on a helicopter! We cruise in less than a year from now, so I'm team vaccine.  

@RCIfan1912 I'm a firm believer that masks currently being worn do nothing for you, as they are not the proper masks required. The general population doesn't understand the transmittal process, much less what it requires for a true decontamination. Think of it this way...you wear a mask, but no gloves and go into a store, pick up an item then decide you don't want it, like many before you have. You place it back on the shelf continue with your shopping.   Later on after you get back home and unload the items that you purchased from your bags, placing thing where they needed to be.  Did you decontaminate the items before you put them away?  Who all touched those items before you did? Did they have the virus? Did you touch your face or any part of your body, without thinking about it?  Did the store decontaminate the items before they put them on the shelfs? What about the people loading and unloading?

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 7.40.23 AM.png