POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Matt

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

If we end up having antibodies to it, and they determine that antibodies actually prevent a person from being reinfected with Covid19 for a reasonable amount of time, then yes, we likely will prior to a vaccine.  We're still hoping we caught it on Symphony last Feb and just were asymptomatic (hey, it could happen!!!!).  But since we both have chronic conditions that they say make us higher risk, it's puts all of  our sailings in jeopardy (dangit).  If it was just me, I'd do it.  But my husband has several high-risk conditions and is a HUGE germophobe (y'all can't begin to imagine what I've been going through over the last 8 weeks).  He also hasn't seen any media for 8 weeks, so he doesn't really know what's going on out there except that he's one of the people they suggest not risk exposure.  

• Matt pinned this topic

I'm similar to @SpeedNoodles, in that I think both my younger daughter and I got it back in late January, when it first started showing up in the New York / NJ area. If that's correct and I can get an antibody test that proves it, you'll have to beat me off with a baseball bat to stop me setting foot on the gangway.

There are so many variables at this point I have to say I'm not sure.  We have a cruise booked for next January and I honestly think its a 50/50 or less chance things will be in a position that I would take that cruise without the vaccine.  Cases were low in my area when we went to the stay-at-home order so I'm very confident it's not something we've been exposed to.  Certainly the number of infections at that time and the cruise lines response on how they are handling the situation will weigh heavily on the final decision.  Let's all root for that vaccine!  :)

My family and I absolutely will be cruising at first chance. As serious as all this has been, I don't want the fear of "what if" to overrule the possibility of adventure for me. Just as with any disease or pandemic, it very well could hit me or my family at any moment, but the opportunity for memories and living life to its fullest outweighs that fear of there not being a vaccine yet. #StillGoing 

In the process of booking a cruise for February for Hubby, daughter (35) and son (30).  This is replacing (sort of) a cruise we were supposed to take 10 years ago that was cancelled due to to family issues.  We are all finally in a place where we can take that family vacation together again.  I hope we can go, not sure I want to wait another 10 years!!!

8 minutes ago, CruzOnBye said:

My family and I absolutely will be cruising at first chance. As serious as all this has been, I don't want the fear of "what if" to overrule the possibility of adventure for me. Just as with any disease or pandemic, it very well could hit me or my family at any moment, but the opportunity for memories and living life to its fullest outweighs that fear of there not being a vaccine yet. #StillGoing 

Said so Well!   

Here’s how I look at it, it is a virus somewhat like the flu and we all know there isn’t a complete cure for that.  So there will be a vaccine developed and it won’t cure all, because it will be for a current strain that hasn’t mutated and will still require some form of treatment. With that being said, I say...let the cruising begin!

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Just need the border to open up and I am there...that's the real issue here in Canada!!..we are banned from even driving to a neighboring province so not sure when i'll be able to get away again.

This is exactly where my thinking is at.  I'm fine with going, we need to be cautious but cannot live our lives in fear.  And it just make spending more time in my cabin the cool thing to do.  We normally hang out in there a lot anyway.  We cruise for relaxation, we don't need to do much.  I need the borders to open though.

With all the media raving about staying at home, a lot of folks are quaking in their house slippers and afraid to go out into the world. Wonder what the world would be like if our forefathers had that attitude? There would be no USA, no internet and no life. I am cautious but will not let fear cause me to not enjoy the life I have been given. At my age I want all the enjoyment in life I can get. And that includes cruising!

16 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

With all the media raving about staying at home, a lot of folks are quaking in their house slippers and afraid to go out into the world. Wonder what the world would be like if our forefathers had that attitude? There would be no USA, no internet and no life. I am cautious but will not let fear cause me to not enjoy the life I have been given. At my age I want all the enjoyment in life I can get. And that includes cruising!

Unfortunately, many of our news outlets are driving this madness!  

10 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Unfortunately, many of our news outlets are driving this madness!  

I agree, and it is baffling and disappointing that this all seems to have become more than it needs to be. Logic and Reason appears to have been taken over by Sensationalism and leverage. Once we strayed from presenting and analyzing  the REAL facts and instead began focusing, once again, on celebrity opinions on social media, it seems that this exercise has run its course and the media and the politicians should all get back to work and allow everyone else to do the same. In particular, the cruise industry. 

2 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I agree, and it is baffling and disappointing that this all seems to have become more than it needs to be. Logic and Reason appears to have been taken over by Sensationalism and leverage. Once we strayed from presenting and analyzing  the REAL facts and instead began focusing, once again, on celebrity opinions on social media, it seems that this exercise has run its course and the media and the politicians should all get back to work and allow everyone else to do the same. In particular, the cruise industry. 

Amen to That!

I swear to all that's holy (and even all that's unholy, if the other side helps me out here!), I will cruise by the end of 2020; hopefully, it's with the group on Brilliance in October so I can celebrate my birthday in style a week late. If not, one of the holidays. 

Failing that, you'll find me with little plastic boats in a wading pool, or I'll get one of my friends to tape a cardboard cutout of Oasis to the side of their car and drive back and forth on my street for a little while each day over the course of a week while I sit in the passenger seat and drink or eat a steak.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

100% 

For me it's not the cruises that's the issue it's the flights ? not the new regulations that airlines are introducing but the simple fact god knows when International flights will start again so i can get to cruise 

I'm with you. I have an Anthem sailing to Canaries booked for October but am not super excited about the other itineraries out of Southampton as I have seen most of Northern Europe already. Itineraries from the U.S. are another story however, and I can't wait to be able to fly across the pond again to take advantage of them (keeping my fingers crossed for our February Coco Cay sailing, also on Anthem, but holding off from booking our flights with Virgin as, despite my hopes for everyone working there - they are headquartered here in my home town - I am yet to be 100% convinced that they will still be operating by then). This said, as mentioned by several others, the on board experience will also be a key factor in the reality ultimately living up to the dream.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

100% 

For me it's not the cruises that's the issue it's the flights ? not the new regulations that airlines are introducing but the simple fact god knows when International flights will start again so i can get to cruise 

I'm with you. I have an Anthem sailing to Canaries booked for October but am not super excited about the other itineraries out of Southampton as I have seen most of Northern Europe already. Itineraries from the U.S. are another story however, and I can't wait to be able to fly across the pond again to take advantage of them (keeping my fingers crossed for our February Coco Cay sailing, also on Anthem, but holding off from booking our flights with Virgin as, despite my hopes for everyone working there - they are headquartered here in my home town - I am yet to be 100% convinced that they will still be operating by then). This said, as mentioned by several others, the on board experience will also be a key factor in the reality ultimately living up to the dream.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We're still hoping we caught it on Symphony last Feb and just were asymptomatic (hey, it could happen!!!!)

You make me smile. 

I work retail.  In late Feb., I had the worse flu ever.  1st time I actually called out of work.  My boss's wife and kids were sick, but not him. I swear he was asymptomatic and gave it to me.

~~ His wife's niece moved from Korea via San Fran in early Feb. 1 week later his wife and kids went down for the count. 10 days later I went down. 

I have not gotten tested, but my son that works in the medical testing world has said,  to me he believes I had it.  Everything lines up with symptoms and timing.