Next round of cancellations, when?

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Bad cookies, no bueno

Also getting the usual 3rd party cruise promotions emails with airlines for some upcoming cruises.   Noticing a number of 2, 3, and 4 day cruises on the advertised RCL and Celebrity offerings. What's odd is Celebrity doesn't have many short cruises yet a number of S and M class ships are being promoted with the short itinerary.   Shorter itineraries is one of the risk mitigation tools being investigated.  Wonder if this is signaling one of the health panel recommendations.  Some start as early as mid-Nov 20.  (Matt blogged the guidelines are not expected to be published until the end of Sept.)

I really hope cruising comes back soon! However, at this point, I'm beginning to get frustrated with the cruise lines, especially after RC delayed the results of the healthy sail panel. Myself and my fiancee are dealing with PTO expiring, and her boss has a two month maternity leave as well during which we can't take any vacation. We have cruises booked in both November and December with both Carnival and RC, and the not knowing is getting incredibly stressful. We'd love to do a land-based vacation, but our cruises aren't cancelled, and we have amassed so much FCC from earlier in the year that we can't afford to take the FCC (and Carnival offers nothing like it). 

I'm just frustrated that the cruise lines have no plan whatsoever, and especially with my admittedly unique situation, I'm essentially left twiddling my thumbs and waiting to see if I'll be able to use my vacation time in ANY way, much less a cruise (the preferred method). 

6 minutes ago, nate91 said:

I really hope cruising comes back soon! However, at this point, I'm beginning to get frustrated with the cruise lines, especially after RC delayed the results of the healthy sail panel. Myself and my fiancee are dealing with PTO expiring, and her boss has a two month maternity leave as well during which we can't take any vacation. We have cruises booked in both November and December with both Carnival and RC, and the not knowing is getting incredibly stressful. We'd love to do a land-based vacation, but our cruises aren't cancelled, and we have amassed so much FCC from earlier in the year that we can't afford to take the FCC (and Carnival offers nothing like it). 

I'm just frustrated that the cruise lines have no plan whatsoever, and especially with my admittedly unique situation, I'm essentially left twiddling my thumbs and waiting to see if I'll be able to use my vacation time in ANY way, much less a cruise (the preferred method). 

Frustration is understandable, but in this instance I believe it may be mis directed. The cruise lines have absolutely nothing to say or do about the resumption of cruises from North America. Until the CDC concludes its “public input” gathering later this month no one knows what is expected and what the rule book looks like from a regulatory perspective. One thing is for sure, 2020 will see no further embarkation from North American ports for any of the Major operators. 

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

Frustration is understandable, but in this instance I believe it may be mis directed. The cruise lines have absolutely nothing to say or do about the resumption of cruises from North America. Until the CDC concludes its “public input” gathering later this month no one knows what is expected and what the rule book looks like from a regulatory perspective. One thing is for sure, 2020 will see no further embarkation from North American ports for any of the Major operators. 

I probably should have clarified further. I'm not frustrated at the cruise lines for not sailing (I'm frustrated at the CDC for that). They obviously want to start sailing and bringing in money ASAP. I'm frustrated at them for not cancelling cruises that we all know aren't going to happen (the rest of 2020). I think they know enough to know that won't happen. I get not wanting to release even more refunds, but it's beginning to tarnish my view of RCL a bit, especially as many other operators have already cancelled all of 2020. 

When a hurricane spins up during cruise season a lot of people just want to cancel based on an emotional reaction.  Instead Royal stays the course and waits until closer to determine what cruises can operate normally or near normally and don't NEED to be canceled.  That frustrates some people who watch the Weather channel hour after hour and get freaked out.  Meanwhile the smart business play is to only cancel cruises that truly need to be cancelled.  

I've sailed on a cruise that left the day after a Hurricane swept up the FL East coast.  We flew past the Hurricane on the flight down being one of the first planes to land after they reopened the airport.  It was a smooth flight and a great cruise with awesome weather.  Some people were frustrated when they didn't cancel the cruise but the truth is they didn't have to.  By waiting it became clear they didn't need to cancel the cruise.  

That's not a perfect analogy to this pandemic but if they cancel too far out they might be cancelling cruises that can operate.  This week we learned of a new 5 minute test that could be a game changer.  We may be on the verge of getting a vaccine coming to market.  The smart business play is to wait and not cancel cruises that might be able to operate despite the speculation of the public. 

As far as the delay of the Healthy Sail Panel I think that is also smart.  If they announce findings now while the CDC public opinion period is open it will induce thousands of submissions with opinions on the panel's findings from an arguably non-scientific public dwelling over every detail.  All the arguments for both sides of the mask debate will be submitted in the thousands resulting in delays to the CDC progress as they pour through the responses.  That's just one example.  Enter the great "I should be able to serve myself in the buffet" debate or "I should be able to check in whenever I want to" debate or "I must be able to book my own private excursions" debate and so on and so on.  By waiting until after the public response period is closed they save the CDC from facing an onslaught of new opinions being submitted which will just slow down the CDC.   

14 hours ago, nate91 said:

Prefer just pulling the "bandaid" off quickly.   I think there are internal plans, but keeping cash flow on life support is a high priority.   To my surprise, still seeing Nov, Dec cruises being marketed - meaning, "please send deposits, you'll eventually get to use them".

On 9/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, whoa said:

We're set to sail on Harmony, November 1st. I have a sense that RCL wants to use that date going forward as an experiment and phase-in period with reduced passenger capacity as well as an opportunity to institute new health protocols.

The idea of possibly cruising again is exciting and yet scary at the same time given that we would be their "guinea pigs".

I'm on the same one... I recently booked another cruise later in 2021 not related. As I had done  with other booking I made chit chat with the agent (RCL) about upcoming ones most likely cancelling. In the past they were pretty much in agreement  that they would cancel. This date though the agent was adamant that she didn't think this one would cancel.  The way I look at it is sooner or later the extensions will quit and sailing will begin again. No reason for this not to be that one...

What I am bothered about is the cruise planner on line and n the App is showing only 2 days?????? I don't like glitches...