Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez extends waiver of lay berth fees for another 30 days in support of PortMiami's

From wikipedia:

Lay Berth (Layberth)
A berth used for idle (lay-up status) vessels.[3] Vessels being put on the hook can use these as intermediate points between operational use and mothballing at an off shore mooring. These berths will feature very little land side access or equipment except what is needed to secure the vessel.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I suppose I can guess....but what is a lay berth fee ?  Is it some kind of per-person fee for being in port ?

I assumed it was just the fee that they would charge to just tie up at a dock without all the hustle and bustle of any kind of dock operations..an alternative option to anchoring offshore.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, AshleyDillo said:

I assumed it was just the fee that they would charge to just tie up at a dock without all the hustle and bustle of any kind of dock operations..an alternative option to anchoring offshore.

The lay berth fee is a tax by the City of Miami. It's not the fee for the longshoremen to take a rope and put it around a cleat and later remove it, that's different.

Apparently even though you spent $247M on a new terminal and a 200' longer private dock, you owe the city additional money just for having ropes attached.