STAR Class Cruise Cancellation Not So Special

I booked and paid for Royal Caribbean Star Class cabin accommodations and service, but unfortunately the cruise was cancelled due to the dreadful Corona Virus.  This would have been our 4th cruise over the past 5 years but our first with Royal Caribbean.  Needless to say, we were very excited about the cruise along with the included ‘A through Z perks’, not to mention the exceptional Star Class Cabin we would enjoy for a week.  

Among the options we were given as a result of the cruise cancellation, we simply chose the full refund (6 weeks ago) but we haven’t received our refund yet and no communications initiated by RCL at all, about the status of our pending refund (a simple e-Mail would have been nice).  Initially, Royal Caribbean posted internet notices, explaining refunds would take 30 days, but has since extended that time to 45 days.   I’m just disappointed that the ‘A through Z’ included perks and superior Star Class service I paid for, doesn’t include the letter “R” for refunds, because I expected my requested refund wouldn’t have left me at the back of the line as a Star Class passenger, which is where I still find myself while waiting for the refund from Royal Caribbean.  

On the positive side, Royal Caribbean representatives have all been nice and sympathetic during my telephone inquiries,  but has accomplished nothing so far.  Unfortunately, the only experience I will now have had with Royal Caribbean to measure their STAR Class service for future consideration, is the manner by which they have handled my refund.

We lost our Star class sailing too during the very first round of cancellations.  We were due to sail March 15th.  I just got my FCC/taxes/fees/cruise planner refund back last Monday 5/04.  Almost two months!  SC service does not apply when you're not on the ship lol

Well, thanks for sharing your experience “Lovetocruise2002”!

As for “SC service” not applying when you are not on the ship as you mentioned, I have clearly found that out -lol.  

However, I would think from a marketing standpoint, RCL would take better care to value Star Class customers, before, during and after a cruise!

It all just seems so counter productive for the sake of the cruise line, because most existing customers are the most likely to be potential future customers too.  When you consider the marketing costs to attract new customers, delaying refunds to existing customers accomplishes nothing but the risk of additional lost revenue in the future too.

I will hijack this thread just for a second to let those who care, know about some AWESOME prices that Michelle alerted me to.

Allure in October 2021.  I booked a B2B on 10-3 and 10-10.  The price for the Grand Panoramic Suite on 10-10 is less than $5K PP ($4931 PP).  The same suite on 10-3 is $5052 PP.  They are still available as of 5 minutes ago.  In fact, both the GPS and the OPS are still available on the 10-10 sailing.  I got Owner's Suites for $2755 and $2686 PP.

Who knows whether Allure will be amped by then, but I really don't care.  I like Allure just like she is without those ugly slides in the aft.

Good luck !!

On 5/13/2020 at 1:53 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I will hijack this thread just for a second to let those who care, know about some AWESOME prices that Michelle alerted me to.

Allure in October 2021.  I booked a B2B on 10-3 and 10-10.  The price for the Grand Panoramic Suite on 10-10 is less than $5K PP ($4931 PP).  The same suite on 10-3 is $5052 PP.  They are still available as of 5 minutes ago.  In fact, both the GPS and the OPS are still available on the 10-10 sailing.  I got Owner's Suites for $2755 and $2686 PP.

Who knows whether Allure will be amped by then, but I really don't care.  I like Allure just like she is without those ugly slides in the aft.

Good luck !!

Good info! There are also some good prices on Oasis for fall - we paid a good bit less than usual for the crown loft on Oasis for November (too many cruises reserved lately so I don’t want to mislead by not being accurate on the price - seems like low 4’s.

EDIT - I knew that I should not rely on my memory with 4 cruises in the hopper - I checked and the crown loft (sea view balcony) with taxes/fees was just under 3k each (2 of us booked). Pretty “suite” deal ? ?

Ok, I got a question.  Our first Star Class suite was cancelled on the SOTS in the 4 bedroom villa suite.  HOW DO YOU RECOVER FROM THE SADNESS??  I tried to find a new cruise to book, but I am still so sad. I am thankful the ability to cruise like that, and I am saddened for all of people who have suffered much more then I have with this. Just SAD

So it looks like they finally got around to raising the prices on almost ALL of the Cruise Planner items after I wrote my original hijack post.  Everything except the cost of the DBP on Symphony has gone up.  SOOOOOO glad I booked all (well, most) of my drink, dining and internet packages before the prices went up.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So it looks like they finally got around to raising the prices on almost ALL of the Cruise Planner items after I wrote my original hijack post.  Everything except the cost of the DBP on Symphony has gone up.  SOOOOOO glad I booked all (well, most) of my drink, dining and internet packages before the prices went up.

Damn, I checked yesterday and all the sale prices were still there so I left my cart. Today I get my 125% OBC in my inbox and the sale prices are gone! I seeee a correlation here...