Freestyle Machines post Covid

14 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@WAAAYTOOO I am all for contact-less grocery shopping where I can go online and a real camera/droid picks my fresh fruits and veggies....plus other items. Then they all get scanned and I pick up my items in a designated area. I don't want to risk the loss of immunity by developing immunity to certain cleaning products and procedures.

As far as freestyle goes they could put a reader on the machine to scan SeaPass cards. You can use a wipe after making your selections and get dispensed a recyclable paper cup. Doesn't cost as much as a machine to disinfect a reusable mug.

But we’re back to juggling environmental vs. viral problems. The reusable cups were there to cut down on waste (even though no one takes them home afterwards and the carbon footprint of that one plastic cup provably equals 500 paper ones) it’s now how the environmental media would see it. It would be seen as creating more waste by using tens of thousands of paper cups. 
One would think simple costs issues would make sense, but having sat in on meetings like that before, everything PR related gets looked at. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

But we’re back to juggling environmental vs. viral problems. The reusable cups were there to cut down on waste (even though no one takes them home afterwards and the carbon footprint of that one plastic cup provably equals 500 paper ones) it’s now how the environmental media would see it. It would be seen as creating more waste by using tens of thousands of paper cups. 
One would think simple costs issues would make sense, but having sat in on meetings like that before, everything PR related gets looked at. 

I say we go back to glass bottles and brown paper bags...bottles could be cleaned and reused, paper bags could be recycled...plus..you could get a nickel for each coke bottle back then ?

54 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Andrew72681 That's why I said recyclable cups, like those disgusting paper straws. These cups are already made of older material and will be turned again into something new.

They can be made from recycled materials but paper cups can’t be recycled 95 percent of the time. Just like with a pizza box once it had food  leech into the paper or cardboard it’s not recyclable. 
Also, most paper cups are coated with plastic to keep them from falling apart. 

@Andrew72681 Ahh that makes since as the recyclable ones we use in office has the plastic coating. We had some locally sourced ones that were design as a transfer, they basically started to disintegrate after a minute. They were a hair or two thicker than coffee filters.  So I guess back to the drawing board.

Book Club Cat GIF

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Andrew72681 Ahh that makes since as the recyclable ones we use in office has the plastic coating. We had some locally sourced ones that were design as a transfer, they basically started to disintegrate after a minute. They were a hair or two thicker than coffee filters.  So I guess back to the drawing board.

Book Club Cat GIF

Yeah. Mixed media recycling is nearly impossible. I used to represent a company that made toothbrushes that you would mail back and they’d separate the by long from the wood or hard plastic. Also, if you ever get a chance check out the Adam Ruins Everything episode on recycling. A lot of what we recycle never actually gets recycled as it ends up more expensive than virgin material. 

@Andrew72681 That makes sense, we purchased the flimsy cups from a local business who were trying to turn everything into something else. She was using those little paper containers they put pills in the hospital in to build the cups. My boss brought a package out of pity; we eventually went the reusable cup route. She turned to Etsy because a lot of her creations were improbable. I also used to be really heavy on recycling until my garbage man said 90% of the time its all dumped together....now I just put them all in one bag and garbage in another.

So I was talking to my brother about this and he told me about a job he did last year for a bar/restaurant/nightclub. He built a giant plexiglass shelf that soda nozzles could slide through, there were a bunch of holes with beverage descriptors. There was an attendant who would press your selection(s) and the nozzle would slide forward and give you whatever you chose. It is less expensive than buying the cartridges Freestyle requires and way more COVOD-19 friendly. They could keep the reusable cups they offer as well, as it continues to save time, money, supplies, and water.

5 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Yea and we could go back to the old Tupperware cups of yesteryears ?  Who remembers these?

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 6.59.45 PM.png

These are the exemplar reusable cup.  I think I started using one around age 2 (with the equally iconic Tupperware "sippy cup top") and continued to use it pretty much until High School. (The Tupperware, not the sippy cup!  ?)