CWC and trip insurance

If you are (or will be once booked) eligible for the Cruise With Confidence program, is trip insurance necessary?  Does CWC allow cancellation for ANY reason?  And I understand it’s a FCC not a refund but if I’m ok with that do I really need trip insurance? Flight would be on points so no penalty there.

CWC is an FCC program available until April 2022, so no refunds. Trip insurance can result in actual money back under a cancel for any reason policy. Whether you feel comfortable enough to cruise without insurance is up to you. I have travel insurance with my Chase Reserve card, since medical and death are the only reason I won't make a vacation. I never get travel insurance. I just try to get a Refundable deposit when available.

If you're only purchasing trip insurance to insure against losing money if you choose to cancel and you're ok with a FCC if you do decide to cancel, then I would say no need for the insurance.  In fact the cancellation coverage on insurance policies is a lot less liberal than people think. 

However you really want to insure yourself against something that could financially devastate you, and that would be if there was a medical incident that happened during your trip while you had no other medical coverage.  Trip insurance also may cover you getting to the cruise if something happens to the flight you are originally scheduled on.  

The one time we've made an insurance claim in the past was when we were coming back from a cruise that left from NJ.  We were scheduled to be flying back home to Florida when a hurricane was about to which affected our flight home.  Trip insurance covered all the costs associated with our impacted flight home.  

23 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I buy trip insurance mostly for medical and evacuation coverage, so I'd say yes.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

This. I buy travel insurance for what may happen on the cruise

+100 on this. Even in good times, the cruise lines were generally good about either refunding or giving FCC when things like hurricanes interrupted or canceled a cruise. The insurance is for the things that can happen after I've stepped on board that the cruise line won't help me with.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:46 PM, Pooch said:

If you are (or will be once booked) eligible for the Cruise With Confidence program, is trip insurance necessary?  Does CWC allow cancellation for ANY reason?  And I understand it’s a FCC not a refund but if I’m ok with that do I really need trip insurance? Flight would be on points so no penalty there.

Our only insurance claims have been for lost or delayed luggage.  If Royal loses your suitcase (as happened to us), and you don't have their trip insurance, they cap the loss at $300.  At least they did in 2015.  Now as mentioned, some credit cards offer limited protection, such as luggage loss.  So in addition to the medical evaluation concerns addressed in other responses, think of what coverage you need for luggage loss or delay.