Lift and Shift on reservations just made

Just curious, has anyone made a reservation in the past week for June or July of 2020 sailing and then successfully executed a Lift and Shift to June or July of 2021?  I'm noticing the rates for the 2020 are cheaper than the 2021 same cruise.  Are there any restrictions on doing this?  I don't see any, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it and been successful?  I doubt the L&S was intended to used this way..

I would not do it if the full cruise fare needed to be paid with “new” money this year, for a cruise booked for next year.

It’s not a risk that I would take with my money right now, as it would be a totally different gamble than just shifting over deposit money or an already fully paid cruise that I know that I could not do this year.

I have been actively considering doing this as we want to do our first Alaska Cruise next summer.  Bottom line....I have yet to find a cruise where L&S would make more than a couple hundred dollars difference.  I have found prices to be almost exactly the same on Alaska cruises in 2020 and 2021.  That little bit of a difference is not worth paying in full now (it’s within final payment date) and waiting another year (as suggested by @GrandmaAirplane).  If I could find a cruise we wanted to do next year, that is substantially cheaper this year, I would definitely do it.  But so far, no such luck.  

@WAAAYTOOO is living that suite life I see ?

I booked our first Alaska cruise about a month ago because the balcony rates were less than half the rates for 2021 (when we were originally planning for our first Alaska cruise).  In fact the price was so good we booked our kids as well with connecting balcony rooms and the all-in total was still more than $600 less than just myself and my wife for next year.  So basically, even after airfare for kids, we got 2 connecting rooms this year for the price of one next year.  I wouldn't hesitate to book Alaska for this year and then turn around and lift and shift to next year if you can be without those funds for a year as the prices (except suites ?) are such a phenomenal deal right now.

Lately I've been thinking I'll lift and shift to next year as well to avoid to suspense of a Royal cancellation and not being able to lift and shift the tremendous deal....

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm still lookin' and hopin; !!

Our friend at MEI (Michelle) took care of me today. A L&S for our scheduled Alaska trip this upcoming August for the same cruise and cabin next August. I canceled our airplane tickets and have e tickets/credit which I can use once the airlines post their August 2021 itineraries. THANKS MICHELLE!:27_sunglasses:

4 minutes ago, rjac said:

Our friend at MEI (Michelle) took care of me today. A L&S for our scheduled Alaska trip this upcoming August for the same cruise and cabin next August. I canceled our airplane tickets and have e tickets/credit which I can use once the airlines post their August 2021 itineraries. THANKS MICHELLE!:27_sunglasses:

Robert, was there a big savings ?  Which itinerary did you choose ?

29 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Robert, was there a big savings ?  Which itinerary did you choose ?

Don't know about the savings yet. Michelle L&S'd us into the same cabin that we had booked for this August Alaska cruise tour. She said  it will take Royal few weeks for them to match the Cruise/Tour pricing to what  I have. So, will have to wait and see. The important thing is she was successful. We are on the 10 night Family Tundra Express  Cruisetour 9B (Pre Cruise).

Come and join us! :27_sunglasses:

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That little bit of a difference is not worth paying in full now (it’s within final payment date)

Hi Raye! Do you know if I booked an April 2021 cruise now and knew I wanted to L&S to 2022, does the final payment on the booking still go by the original due date (which would make sense?) or does it shift to the payment due date for the new cruise?

I really really need to get the ABCs on my vacation list but the 2022 Freedom prices are $1,200+ than the same cabin category in 2021! ?

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

Hi Raye! Do you know if I booked an April 2021 cruise now and knew I wanted to L&S to 2022, does the final payment on the booking still go by the original due date (which would make sense?) or does it shift to the payment due date for the new cruise?

I really really need to get the ABCs on my vacation list but the 2022 Freedom prices are $1,200+ than the same cabin category in 2021! ?

Full payment is not due until 90 days before your new date that you lifted and shifted. We L&S Oct 2020 to Oct 2021 and my new confirmation list payment due on July 12 2021

8 hours ago, rjac said:

Radiance OTS. Never been on her, but, this trip isn't do much about the ship as it is the destinations. The Twangster has been on this trip and had great things to see about it. That's the beauty of this message board! :27_sunglasses:

Having sailed a scenic itinerary on a Radiance class ship (round-trip Boston - Quebec), and Alaska on a Vision and Ovation, I'd pick a Radiance class for Alaska for our next trip up.  You have scenery from any bar/restaurant/any public place. Ovation is so inward-focused - there are few, if any, windows in most bars and restaurants. That was a disappointment for us. 

We did the North Bound on the Radiance and 3 day inland post cruise in July 2018 and LOVED every minute.  We loved the Radiance.  It's not a big ship but we loved the entire ship and all the windows.  We also had AT&T signal the entire time. As a matter of fact, we had better AT&T cell reception on the ship that we have at our own house!