Nassau Conch Fritters

Bean79

I have been wanting to try the Conch Fritters in Nassau. I'm looking for everyone's favorite places within walking distance of the ship. I have searched this board and found a few ideas, like the Bearded Clam, Athena Café, and the Pirate Republic Brewery. Where is your favorite spot? I typically have been staying on board during this port so this would give me an excuse to venture out.

My cousin and I went in January and ended up at "Frozen Paradise" according to his facebook check in. We went looking for conch fritters specifically, didn't think to look in advance since we didn't have internet on our phones once we left the ship and just kinda ran into that little hole in the wall and they were amazing. The people in front of us walked in, were rude when they saw the decor and lack of party and walked out so we felt bad and a little obligated to stay and I am SO glad we did. The conch fritters were excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I was in Nassau (Feb 2019) Royal left a letter in our cabins warning people about eating Conch Fritters  on the island.  I can't remember what the exact issue was, but I've avoided them ever since,  even though I'd love to try them. It would help if I could remember WHY we got the warning. We didn't get one in Dec 2019.

17 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The first time I was in Nassau (Feb 2019) Royal left a letter in our cabins warning people about eating Conch Fritters  on the island.  I can't remember what the exact issue was, but I've avoided them ever since,  even though I'd love to try them. It would help if I could remember WHY we got the warning. We didn't get one in Dec 2019.

Personally, I wouldn’t eat conch fritters or anything for that matter from that island. It was probably a contamination issue with the lack of food service safety oversight. If your gonna eat conch fritters, eat conch fritters in the conch republic. Key West has the best! Just about every restaurant on the island serves them as an appetizer. I think Hogs Breath Saloon has the tastiest.  

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Speedy, @SpeedNoodles, they carry Vibrio. See below. We, too, avoid eating it as we didn't want to get sick. If you do eat it, make sure the conch is cooked WELL. The salad, like a ceviche, could get you sick.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruisers-beware-dont-eat-the-conch-in-nassau/

Ah. I’m an avid ceviche / sushi consumer.  

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, DandA said:

Okay got a question for those that have had conch fritters.  I had them at the British Colonial Hilton in August, they were mostly breading with a small piece of chewy/rubbery conch in them.  Are they all like that?

The majority of them are, but the best ones are nicely dices (and not rubbery).

• 4 weeks later...