Coco Cay - Thrill Cabana or Beach Club (non-Cabana)

jaredhamburg

Hello, everyone!  I would like some advice on this.  I and my family (wife, 9 yo daughter, 5 yo son and I) are going to CoCo Cay in late September. 

I am debating between a Thrill WaterPark cabana or going to the Beach Club (non-cabana). 

My daughter is scared of long slides, so would only do the smaller slides.  My son can only do the smaller slides and play areas as well.

I do not know how busy Thrill gets as Harmony of the Seas should be there (a large ship) an hour before our smaller ship (Enchantment of the Seas).  Will it be a mad house you think?

If so, I am thinking some beach time and sand toys could be fun at the (I am guessing) less crowded beach club.  Our main goal of this vacation is relax and not fight off crowds with a stick.

For our booking, it looks like the Cabana would be about $600, and the Beach Club would be $250.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

I would say neither would be ideal in your situation but I'd side with the beach club.

The thrill park cabana's main draw is the water park tickets, but the actual water park seems a bit too extreme for how you described your kids. You also aren't going to very close to the beach here and the main kids areas are outside of the waterpark

Beach club does not have a lot of offerings for the little ones in terms of activities, and the food is  more upscale (they still have offerings for kids but the food is one of those things you are paying for). It will be a quiet spot and has access to the beach, so if you really value a more peaceful spot this would be it.  My 9 year old wasn't thrilled with this area as it felt like a more geared towards adults.

As for crowds, i didnt leave the beach club much on my only visit to Cococay but i have heard multiple other posters say that there are plenty of spots around the island so you wont be fighting for loungers if you decide to just do a no cost beach / kids area /pool day. I'd look into the breezy bay area, not close to the main kids play area but they have a small activities section that would have some fun stuff for kids.

1 hour ago, bossdog421 said:

I would say neither would be ideal in your situation but I'd side with the beach club.

The thrill park cabana's main draw is the water park tickets, but the actual water park seems a bit too extreme for how you described your kids. You also aren't going to very close to the beach here and the main kids areas are outside of the waterpark

Beach club does not have a lot of offerings for the little ones in terms of activities, and the food is  more upscale (they still have offerings for kids but the food is one of those things you are paying for). It will be a quiet spot and has access to the beach, so if you really value a more peaceful spot this would be it.  My 9 year old wasn't thrilled with this area as it felt like a more geared towards adults.

As for crowds, i didnt leave the beach club much on my only visit to Cococay but i have heard multiple other posters say that there are plenty of spots around the island so you wont be fighting for loungers if you decide to just do a no cost beach / kids area /pool day. I'd look into the breezy bay area, not close to the main kids play area but they have a small activities section that would have some fun stuff for kids.

Thank you for the information!  I think we may favor just be wandering gypsies if it is not too full....but I am curious.  How did you like the Beach Club overall?

J

1 hour ago, jaredhamburg said:

Thank you for the information!  I think we may favor just be wandering gypsies if it is not too full....but I am curious.  How did you like the Beach Club overall?

J

I was in an overwater cabana. The entire beach club area was great, had a nice upscale feeling to the whole area. It was private and quiet. My only complaint is that I was there Feb 1st (it was only open for a day or so) and you could tell some of the finishing touches werent done. Like i said in my other post  it wasn't super fun for my daughter, though i think she would have had a better time if it were warmer. It was super windy and cold making the water too rough and chilly. Some friends we were sailing with said the water was warm and didnt even notice the wind on the other side of the island.

I walked through some of the other areas on my way out, each area had its own feel from upscale, to theme park, to island fun. I'll be there again in September (hopefully!!) and I'm looking forward to my daughter enjoying herself more in the kids area and pools.

If you havent seen it through searching i did a post with a ton of pics.

Page 5 from my live blog had a few other pics too- *shameless plug to the blog *

14 hours ago, bossdog421 said:

I was in an overwater cabana. The entire beach club area was great, had a nice upscale feeling to the whole area. It was private and quiet. My only complaint is that I was there Feb 1st (it was only open for a day or so) and you could tell some of the finishing touches werent done. Like i said in my other post  it wasn't super fun for my daughter, though i think she would have had a better time if it were warmer. It was super windy and cold making the water too rough and chilly. Some friends we were sailing with said the water was warm and didnt even notice the wind on the other side of the island.

I walked through some of the other areas on my way out, each area had its own feel from upscale, to theme park, to island fun. I'll be there again in September (hopefully!!) and I'm looking forward to my daughter enjoying herself more in the kids area and pools.

If you havent seen it through searching i did a post with a ton of pics.

Page 5 from my live blog had a few other pics too- *shameless plug to the blog *

Thank you for the information.  I booked a reservation at the beach club (no cabana) and will keep that until we make a final decision.  It was on sale at a decent discount for our sailing.  I will probably end up not keeping it, as my kids will probably be like your daughter.  But.....I like the security of an item I can cancel.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Did you happen to see little ones (under 4) at any of the cabanas?  I'm getting the run around with answers about this.  Even with what I thought was clear information from Royal's own FAQ.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:10 PM, bossdog421 said:

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Hoski said:

I would skip both and enjoy the sand toys you take and the free lounge chairs.  If your kids were a little older I'd say go for the water park because the wave pool is fun for all.

Thanks.  I have reserved the Coco Cay Beach Club but will probably cancel when I get closer to the cruise.  The Chill Island area looks pretty nice.  If cruises start on 8/1, I just want to hear how things are operating on the island if possible.  It would be nice to use that money for some keepsakes.