Please help us decide. Switch or Stay? Odyssey related

My wife and I and our 2 children are booked for April 9th 2021 on Odyssey.  I know we're about 11 months out but with the news that new ships (Odyssey and Wonder) will be delayed, I'm worried.

So I'm looking for advice and opinions.  Keep the Odyssey booking and keep our fingers crossed that the delay doesn't affect our cruise?

Or, book a different cruise?

We really want to go back to Southern Caribbean and that's why we picked Odyssey, new ship with an 8 day Southern Itinerary sailing from Florida.  I also saw that Brilliance has an 8 day Southern sailing from Florida in that same time frame.

As a side note.  Our sailing booked on Odyssey is the last sailing in the Caribbean before it heads to its home port in Rome in May.  Not sure if this will play a factor in Royal Caribbeans plans for this ship.  

Thank you.

@Huntr104 To put this into context we are to be on the Odyssey Thanksgiving week 2020 and I was fraught with the same decision, to stay put or not. Worried yes, but no. I decided I really would like to sail on the new ship this Thanksgiving but if she is delayed I am comfortable planning another trip last minute.  Honestly I am putting it out of my mind and allowing the "universe" to decide. 

I personally would keep the sailing as it is in 2021 UNLESS you would be devastated not sailing that week. There seems always to be some type of availability so why change now, at least wait until the date is much closer, then jump on another ship if you feel strongly she won't sail. 

I have never sailed the Brilliance so I can't offer an opinion there but like you stated the Odyssey is slated to home port in Rome, that is a lot of extra monies just to get to embarkation, We are excited about sailing her from the States instead of flying over to Rome, unless we wait for her to return and mama does not like to wait! 

In my humble opinion I would keep the booking, but that's me, who knows what surprises will reveal themselves in the future. Good luck, stay healthy & safe! 

confused dog GIF

We are booked on Odyssey's inaugural and after the news this week, I have a bad feeling as well.  That led me to do some looking (as I really do want to sail Odyssey sooner rather than later), and I ended up booking the 8 night on Odyssey 03/12/2021.  Now, I did say to a friend yesterday that might be cancelled too depending on how long Odyssey gets delayed for but that is way too far off to predict right now. 

Fortunately for us, we are able to put down the deposit and hold it for now and as @Neesa said, let it play out.  So at the moment, I am holding two bookings for that week in March.  Allure (which I was originally booked for that week but now disappointed that she won't be amped) and Odyssey (in case that inaugural doesn't go through as planned).  I am hoping that by December (final payment time) we will have a more clear picture of what this will look like.  

At the same time, I also grabbed the 8 night on Brilliance that you are talking about, but for July.  I too have been wanting to head back the the Southern Caribbean and the July itinerary on Brilliance has St. Lucia as a port of call.  This is also my Plan B in case I decide not to go the Norway GC.  I have always been a book cruises way in advance person, but this is getting crazy.  I am starting to lose track of all the Plan A, B, C, Ds that I am juggling at the moment lol.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are booked on Odyssey's inaugural and after the news this week, I have a bad feeling as well.  That led me to do some looking (as I really do want to sail Odyssey sooner rather than later), and I ended up booking the 8 night on Odyssey 03/12/2021.  Now, I did say to a friend yesterday that might be cancelled too depending on how long Odyssey gets delayed for but that is way too far off to predict right now. 

Fortunately for us, we are able to put down the deposit and hold it for now and as @Neesa said, let it play out.  So at the moment, I am holding two bookings for that week in March.  Allure (which I was originally booked for that week but now disappointed that she won't be amped) and Odyssey (in case that inaugural doesn't go through as planned).  I am hoping that by December (final payment time) we will have a more clear picture of what this will look like.  

At the same time, I also grabbed the 8 night on Brilliance that you are talking about, but for July.  I too have been wanting to head back the the Southern Caribbean and the July itinerary on Brilliance has St. Lucia as a port of call.  This is also my Plan B in case I decide not to go the Norway GC.  I have always been a book cruises way in advance person, but this is getting crazy.  I am starting to lose track of all the Plan A, B, C, Ds that I am juggling at the moment lol.

Shoulda gone for 3/28 on Odyssey. That Aruba, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary is about as perfect as an itinerary for my wife. 

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Can't.  Kids are not out that week.

Eh, just tell the teachers they’ve learned to work from anywhere. We’ll save them some pool chairs while they get their homework done. 
Also, any school system that begrudges a vacation after things get back to normal needs a reality check, so many kids have had their lives put on hold while still forming personalities. We all became who we are from bouncing things off of groups in school. 

On 5/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I love to plan way ahead too and that's why I think I'm getting nervous.  I'd love to be able to book Brilliance in May of 2021 but there's no possible way I could do 2 cruises that close together.  Do you see any way that I could book Brilliance to lock up a spot and then as we get closer cancel one ?  I'm stumped.  Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Huntr104 said:

Do you see any way that I could book Brilliance to lock up a spot and then as we get closer cancel one ?  I'm stumped. 

I think that with Cruise with Confidence, you have the flexibility to book it and cancel later and get your whole deposit back as FCC.  As long as you don't mind putting down the deposit and you could use the FCC down the road, I don't see any harm in that.  That is what I plan on doing.

31 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think that with Cruise with Confidence, you have the flexibility to book it and cancel later and get your whole deposit back as FCC.  As long as you don't mind putting down the deposit and you could use the FCC down the road, I don't see any harm in that.  That is what I plan on doing.

Thank you.  That's definitely an option!

So disappointed…..was a great deal....first balcony cruise...scored some "free" dinners....first time on this class of ship..first time sailing on a brand new ship like that...

We are not able to rebook anything else for 2020 due to vacation schedules......and we cant book 2021 vacation till December of this year....so puts us in a real tough and disappointing spot...looks like we lose out on it all....and probably the flights too as we wont have new flights to book before then...

2020 sucks and not sure 2021 will be much better when it comes to vacation and travels...

43 minutes ago, Jeff90 said:

We just booked Odyssey for February 2021. Praying no delay to screws things up. We shall see. 

Should be fine...as of last month, she was on schedule....so booking a cruise 3 months after she was supposed to debut should be ok..

However, booking the cruise after her inaugural...not so much...:92_thumbsdown:

On 5/11/2020 at 5:45 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are booked on 3/21/2021 on the odyssey as well, and am concerned about it being affected if there was a delay, in ship delivery. Can you have 2 cruises booked at the same time for the same time frame? We have already scouted some cruises that go the same week. I have a refundable fare booked right now for the 3/12/21 sailing. 

49 minutes ago, cman2020 said:

We are booked on 3/21/2021 on the odyssey as well, and am concerned about it being affected if there was a delay, in ship delivery. Can you have 2 cruises booked at the same time for the same time frame? We have already scouted some cruises that go the same week. I have a refundable fare booked right now for the 3/12/21 sailing. 

Yes! I have 3 (double bookings) of those going on right now! Lol. 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes! I have 3 (double bookings) of those going on right now! Lol. 

Haha, that’s awesome. Guess I could book another one with a refundable Deposit, and then Cancel 1, when we know more what’s going on? Would that work ?

8 hours ago, cman2020 said:

Haha, that’s awesome. Guess I could book another one with a refundable Deposit, and then Cancel 1, when we know more what’s going on? Would that work ?

I think so.  As long as cash flow (because your deposit will be tied up) is not an issue, you will get it back. 

I have 3 right now double booked:  March 2021 (I have Allure and Odyssey booked), July 2021 (Anthem and Brilliance), and August 2021 (Symphony and Liberty).  Starting to lose track lol.

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think so.  As long as cash flow (because your deposit will be tied up) is not an issue, you will get it back. 

I have 3 right now double booked:  March 2021 (I have Allure and Odyssey booked), July 2021 (Anthem and Brilliance), and August 2021 (Symphony and Liberty).  Starting to lose track lol.

Curious, did you use a travel agent, or go, directly through RC. I’m booked via Costco on the first one. 

Just now, cman2020 said:

Curious, did you use a travel agent, or go, directly through RC. I’m booked via Costco on the first one. 

Always TA the last few years.  Thank goodness for her!  I'm losing track and she is right on top of it lol.  And correction, I actually have 4 double bookings.  I forgot that I have Odyssey/Navigator booked for November right now.  Navigator is supposed to be my Plan B if the inaugural falls through.  See what I mean about losing track lol.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Always TA the last few years.  Thank goodness for her!  I'm losing track and she is right on top of it lol.  And correction, I actually have 4 double bookings.  I forgot that I have Odyssey/Navigator booked for November right now.  Navigator is supposed to be my Plan B if the inaugural falls through.  See what I mean about losing track lol.

This is great and so tempted to do the same. Like you, we have various scenarios/plans for cruises (well I have, DH just goes with the flow).  Everything is so unknown now, it's good to have backup plans.

Sorry as this is a bit off topic from the OP's post...but if you double booked these through your TA, then obviously this is OK to do.  I always wondered if you were allowed to do this (or if the system even lets you if dates overlap), but I guess for Royal, it just means more deposits for them.

4 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

then obviously this is OK to do.  I always wondered if you were allowed to do this, but I guess for Royal, it just means more deposits for them.

Well they did tell her, "You know she is double booked right?" ? 

But yes, as long as you don't mind your deposit money being tied up, then it's fine.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Well they did tell her, "You know she is double booked right?" ? 

But yes, as long as you don't mind your deposit money being tied up, then it's fine.

Lol...so Royal noticed.  That's great.  Definitely helps having alternatives (and price lock in now).  Thanks for sharing so we know this can be done.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:42 PM, Andrew72681 said:

Shoulda gone for 3/28 on Odyssey. That Aruba, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary is about as perfect as an itinerary for my wife. 

I agree, we're booked on the Odyssey on 3/28 also.:27_sunglasses:

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are looking at Navigator for November as well if Odyssey is delayed AND we can still get out of the province/country by then. I haven't booked it yet as I dont want to lose any deposits and I am hoping if Royal cancels the Odyssey I will get my non-refundable back on that or something will be offered?!

Some great pricing on Navigator right now for the 9-13th cruise we are considering as Plan B.

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That sailing is my Plan B that I currently have a refundable deposit on.  I have yet to try Navigator so we figured we might as well if we can get out of Canada by November...

We have till July 28th before final payment due on Odyssey so hopefully we will have a better idea by then.

Was supposed to be on Navigator in April, so it would be nice to see her re-vamp if the other doesn't work out. Perhaps more of our fellow cruisers that booked Odyssey will end up on Navigator as well if that happens!

2 hours ago, rjac said:

I agree, we're booked on the Odyssey on 3/28 also.:27_sunglasses:

Cool, maybe we’ll get lucky and if the inaugural gets moved some of those others move and we can have an unofficial group cruise. 
I’m watching pricing on the 3/28 very closely, it’s more expensive than symphony.