Hunger strike

Royal Caribbean crew go on hunger strike until company proves it is sending them home

BY TAYLOR DOLVEN

MAY 08, 2020 07:28 PM, UPDATED 6 HOURS 37 MINUTES AGO 

Crew members on Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas ship look out at the Oasis of the Seas ship as crew members transfer between the ships at the company’s private islands in the Bahamas on May 8, 2020.ROYAL CARIBBEAN CREW

Fifteen crew members on Royal Caribbean’s Navigator of the Seas cruise ship say they are on a hunger strike until the company agrees to send them home.

After nearly two months stranded at sea since the industry halted operations amid the COVID-19 pandemic on March 13, the crew members, who have not eaten since Thursday afternoon, told the Miami Herald they are desperate. The group of 15 from Romania does not want their names used for fear of retaliation from the company, which they say has threatened to punish workers if they talk to journalists.

“My mental health is degrading,” one said. “We do not have any more hope.”

A spokesperson for the company, Jonathon Fishman, said the company had fixed the situation. “The situation was resolved this morning after an amicable discussion between our captain and our crew members,” he said via email on Friday.

Local news has never been more important

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242595896.html#storylink=cpy

How stupid!  It's not like RCL can pull into a port and drop them off and say..go catch your flight.  It's hard enough for them getting clearance to a port for general supplies,  much less that country allowing you to disembark for the airport...that isn't currently flying international.  I'm sure there doing the best the can with the current situation that's at hand.  

Are they still under contract? if so, not much can be done.  If not, good luck as i stated above with transportation situation. They should be somewhat grateful that they have food, water and shelter.

24 hours is not a hunger strike. It’s intermittent fasting. People do it all the time. And the story is a farce, mentioning the crew members nationality but “they don’t want to be named” they went on a “hunger strike” corporate and the captain clearly know who they are. 
And who ever went on a “silent” hunger strike, aren’t those usually used to bring publicity to an issue?

It’s easy to call people stupid when you aren’t the ones stranded on a floating ship for 50 days.  We have Americans in the street protesting because they have been at their houses too long. 

I just hope they find a resolution soon that brings them home safely. 

@J-Fitz You make it sound like there being beaten and forced to live in harsh conditions..There are people wishing they were on a ship...getting paid doing nothing...You do realize there are people that aren't getting paid and wondering who's going to pay there rent and where there next meal is coming from?  Small business owners that have gone out of business due to the current situation and you're worried about them.. Seriously?  You can say what you want about me, but in reality if i have food, water and a shelter..I'm good, everything else is just gravy on top!

tenor.gif

Wow the ignorance in these comments is just staggering.  Rccl was the last cruise line to sign the CDC letter, because they didn't want to cover the expenses of private charters or be held financially/legally responsible for getting the crews home.  You probably think they are just floating about like it's some vacation also.  News flash, none of the venues on  the ships are open.  They can't even use the running track for excersize.  Most have been in isolation since early april and haven't been paid since late march, contract or not.  Must be nice to sit at home and think you know what's going on. 

5 minutes ago, Becand said:

Wow the ignorance in these comments is just staggering.  Rccl was the last cruise line to sign the CDC letter, because they didn't want to cover the expenses of private charters or be held financially/legally responsible for getting the crews home.  You probably think they are just floating about like it's some vacation also.  News flash, none of the venues on  the ships are open.  They can't even use the running track for excersize.  Most have been in isolation since early april and haven't been paid since late march, contract or not.  Must be nice to sit at home and think you know what's going on. 

Beat's being in Iraq or Afghanistan! Prove me wrong.

33 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@J-Fitz You make it sound like there being beaten and forced to live in harsh conditions..There are people wishing they were on a ship...getting paid doing nothing...You do realize there are people that aren't getting paid and wondering who's going to pay there rent and where there next meal is coming from?  Small business owners that have gone out of business due to the current situation and you're worried about them.. Seriously?  You can say what you want about me, but in reality if i have food, water and a shelter..I'm good, everything else is just gravy on top!

tenor.gif

People are always so quick to say others have no right to complain because someone has it harder or worse than them. 

Why is hardship a contest? People struggling with their current situation aren’t invalidated because someone else is having a harder time. If anything both need to be addressed. 

It’s as if I can feel empathy for people stranded on a ship and those who lost their jobs at the same time. Crazy concept. 

2 minutes ago, J-Fitz said:

People are always so quick to say others have no right to complain because someone has it harder or worse than them. 

Why is hardship a contest? People struggling with their current situation aren’t invalidated because someone else is having a harder time. If anything both need to be addressed. 

It’s as if I can feel empathy for people stranded on a ship and those who lost their jobs at the same time. Crazy concept. 

Because you see this as hardship where it isn't.  Its a small discomfort for a short period in their life and i feel empathy for those that are truly struggling to provide ends meat for their families.

49 minutes ago, J-Fitz said:

It’s not a hardship, they are housed, and fed, I empathize with being away from home, but a hunger strike is just ridiculous 

1 hour ago, Becand said:

And you do know 100% what is going on? Judging by this post I doubt it 

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

It’s not a hardship, they are housed, and fed, I empathize with being away from home, but a hunger strike is just ridiculous 

We shall just agree to disagree I suppose. I am not one to judge what some feels as they go through something. 

The threshold of being okay isn’t if you are fed and have shelter. 

23 minutes ago, J-Fitz said:

We shall just agree to disagree I suppose. I am not one to judge what some feels as they go through something. 

The threshold of being okay isn’t if you are fed and have shelter. 

I wasn’t judging what someone was going through, questioning the motive is an entirely different issue. However, most of the crew members are still under contract and getting paid at the rates they agreed to prior to the stop sail order. Also, as a publicly traded company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, and pointing out that the CDC put an uneven burden on the industry with charter flights was what they should have done. No other industry was held to that. Should colleges have been forced to repatriate students? Should tech companies charter jets for their H1 visa workers? Possibly, but they weren’t.