Celebrity Solstice or Eclipse???

rjac

Thinking about a Hawaiian cruise next year. Royal has two ships (Radiance and Serenade) that cruise the islands, We have been on both of those ships and they are too small for our liking. So, we are thinking about Celebrity. Would appreciate some feedback, pro/con from some folks who have been on both of the Celebrity cruise ships above. Thanks! :27_sunglasses: 

We've only sailed on Summit, so no help on either of those two ships.  Celebrity does not have big ships like Royal does, with Edge & Apex being their largest.  I don't remember exactly which Royal class they relate to size wise, but they are not big.   2,900 passengers, I believe for the Edge.

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

Edge & Apex being their largest.  I don't remember exactly which Royal class they relate to size wise, but they are not big.   2,900 passengers, I believe for the Edge.

Capacity- and size-wise, Edge-class is closest to Voyager class, sitting in between Celebrity's Solstice class ships and Voyager class; the Millennium class ships are nearly identical to Radiance class in both size and capacity. But the Edge ship designs incorporate a lot of elements from the Quantum class ships, especially the Eden area whose design with a 270-degree theater in the round and vaulted open space is clearly influenced by the Two70 space on Q class. If you want something approaching a Q class experience on a  Voyager class size ship, the Edge or Apex will be great.

Haven't sailed on Solstice or Eclipse, so can't speak to those. But @monorailmedic has sailed on at least one of them, and fairly recently if I remember right. Hopefully he can give some input.

• 1 month later...

Three  major classes in service from small to large:  Millennium (Millennium, Infinity, Summit, Constellation),  Solstice (Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, SIllouette, Reflection)and Edge (Edge, Apex).  Then there are 3 smaller explorer class ships that sail the Galapagos. 

Passenger loadings about 2,200 for M, 2,800 for S, and about 3,000 for E-class.  So not close to the Oasis or Quantum class.  Celebrity is lower key, demographic is a little older.  Service has an uptick in elegance as there are less passengers and a slightly better guest/crew ratio.   The S-class ships have a lawn area on the top deck.  M-class have 3 elevator areas so less congestion moving through decks.  Edge is a game changer. It really focuses on diversity of dining opportunities, theater and art.   MDR is split into 4 different venues with their own specialties, plus a number of specialty restaurants that are over the top.   Branded with the Magic Carpet, which is a moveable deck extension that serves as a bar and restaurant depending upon the weather.  Its pretty cool, but you find out not very practical because of the wind restrictions for its use.   It is nice sitting out there on the evenings when its in bar mode.

After sailing a number of lines, we've settled on RCL family.   Tend to sail Celebrity because of how they package "perks" like drink packages, internet, gratuities, OBC etc.  If you book an entry suite with Celebrity you get all the perks.  On RCL you have to go up to Star level on Oasis to get everything.  Celebrity doesn't have toys, but is fine for families.  Think RCL does a better job for all ages.