New cruiser, LOTS of questions

Yes, you can get Wi-Fi anywhere on board that class of ship. There is a cost associated.

You may call home. From a mobile? You'll need an international calling plan, and it won't work while you're at sea. There are phones in the room. The cost is outrageous to call home--but it's there if you need it.

Not ALL of the pools are open 24/7, but they usually keep a few open. For example, the children's area closes around 9 or 10pm. And the usually close 1-2 pools and 1-2 hot tubs at a time to drain and clean it. But if you want to go swimming at 3am, there WILL be a pool open for you. :-)

Welcome to the Loyal to Royal Family!

I checked with my cell phone company (Verizon) . . . . found that "texting" is the way to go . . . .it cost me 50 cents to send a text . . . and 10 cents to receive them.  I could check in at home and it didn't cost an arm or leg.  Remembering I was on vacation . . . who wants to be doing something you can do at home (like being on the internet!) . . . lolol

• 8 years later...

Hi, I am also new to cruising and the royal Caribbean website is a little vague in areas. The dress code for formal Dinning, I was wondering if it needs to be black tie or as long as its formal trousers formal jacket and shirt be ok? And what is the process for arriving to the cruise ship on the first day, are you required to stay on the boat or can you wonder the town that disembarking from? 

41 minutes ago, Andrew patching said:

Hi, I am also new to cruising and the royal Caribbean website is a little vague in areas. The dress code for formal Dinning, I was wondering if it needs to be black tie or as long as its formal trousers formal jacket and shirt be ok? And what is the process for arriving to the cruise ship on the first day, are you required to stay on the boat or can you wonder the town that disembarking from? 

No, it doesn't need to be black tie. You will see everything from black tie to jeans w/collared shirts (and sometimes t-shirts).

5 hours ago, Andrew patching said:

And what is the process for arriving to the cruise ship on the first day, are you required to stay on the boat or can you wonder the town that disembarking from? 

Welcome to the Boards! I believe you're required to stay on - I've never seen a security station set up for disembarkation on boarding day - and even if you weren't required to, I wouldn't recommend leaving the ship on embarkation day. 

For 1, there may not be things within a short distance of the ship depending on the port. Also, the 1st day of the cruise has a lot going on once you get on board, and depending on if you've booked or pre-purchased anything, you may have things you need to (should) do 1st (dining reservations, connecting to wifi, muster and most importantly, exploring the ship to get your bearings and begin to know what is where (because it CAN be confusing)). This says nothing about exploring your cabin, unpacking and getting settled, watching sail away, and then dinner. . 

On 8/7/2013 at 8:15 PM, Mom2three said:

Hi i am going on my first Royal caribbean cruise and have a few questions if y'all dont mind.  We're sailing on Oasis

Can I get internet in my room?

If I want to call home, can I do that?

Are the pools open 24 hours?

Thank you  🙂

If you are going to purchase the internet package it is best to do it via the cruise planner.  It costs more per day onboard. 
If you are purchasing for more than one person it’s cheaper to purchase a 2 device, 3 device or 4 device package as opposed to separate individual packages.  Any package can be shared, you are just limited to the number of devices that can be active simultaneously based on the # of device package you purchased.  So if you purchase 3 device package and there are 4 of you, when #4  signs in they’ll knock someone off. 

You can make calls using your internet package, be sure wifi calling is turned on.  Avoid phone charges by putting your phone in airplane mode. 

im not sure of pool hours. Most close, the solarium (adult only) may be open longer.  There’s a section called Cruise Compasses, see the top of the page,  you should be able to find Oasis compasses, listing everything happening each day  

my hint for Oasis, visit Central Park and order the roast beef sandwich at the Park Cafe.  Also, it’s the only place you can get a bag of chips, but you need to ask (at the roast beef station).  Oh, Port Side BBQ has good food, it’s extra $ but inexpensive.  Worth it!

44 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Almost 9 year old zombie thread!

Well to be fair to the person who revived this thread, I wish more people would simply search the forum for their questions, read the past thread, and then go ahead and revive the thread and ask their additional questions.  

Ever since I started the CHeck-In process thread and provided tons of detailed info about a month ago, SEVERAL new threads asking questions that are answered in my post popped up.  

So yeah, old thread but thank you @Andrew patchingfor continuing the thread instead of creating another one.

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Well to be fair to the person who revived this thread, I wish more people would simply search the forum for their questions, read the past thread, and then go ahead and revive the thread and ask their additional questions.  

Ever since I started the CHeck-In process thread and provided tons of detailed info about a month ago, SEVERAL new threads asking questions that are answered in my post popped up.  

So yeah, old thread but thank you @Andrew patchingfor continuing the thread instead of creating another one.

I have questions about tipping, so I am searching through old posts and like you say there are so many new threads that re-address information already out there...it just gets overwhelming trying to go through them, so I understand why a questioner would just start fresh.  My only concern about asking a new question on an old thread is if others will scroll down to see it (assuming they aren't using any "new today" filters or anything).     Anyhoo...back to my "research"...🤪

7 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

I have questions about tipping, so I am searching through old posts and like you say there are so many new threads that re-address information already out there...it just gets overwhelming trying to go through them, so I understand why a questioner would just start fresh.  My only concern about asking a new question on an old thread is if others will scroll down to see it (assuming they aren't using any "new today" filters or anything).     Anyhoo...back to my "research"...🤪

There is a tipping thread or two that are very recent. Use the filters to search. I have no problem with new threads. It’s just many questions are asked repeatedly within even hours of each other in completely new threads. Maybe the admins will think about sticky threads? I dunno if that’s the correct term. Pin the most comprehensive threads about certain topics.