Help: Don't Know What To Do???

Hello all,

I have a cruise aboard the Oasis on November 8, 2020. At this point, my cruise has been paid in full over 6+ months ago. While that is paid off, I never booked my flights to Ft. Lauderdale or my hotel (as I like to arrive a day before sailing) My dilemma now is whether or not I should book a hotel room and start to look for flights? I'm a Delta flier 99% of the time. The other 1% is when I fly Southwest to FLL for cruising. I'd hate to book my flights only for my cruise to be cancelled and then deal with having to cancel a flight and figure out when to re-schedule with Southwest as I hardly fly anywhere unless it's for a cruise.

I really hate the uncertainty of things right now and hate to tie up more future money not knowing what may happen. I guess I could always purchase some type of insurance, but that means spending even more money. I guess I am just reaching out to you all to see what you would do in my situation?

Thanks all!

I'd definitely wait. 

At least until a point when RC actually starts cruising as planned.  Even if it's late July,  that still gives you a few months to get air fare.  

I would not start to worry until about 90 days out from your cruise.  So if they aren't sailing by that point, then you have some serious thinking to do.  

I agree with @vanelli56...you will know in plenty of time about the resumption of cruising in order to book flights and hotel...one thing you will see is that while flights are cheap now, they will probably be cheap for a while as the public gets used to traveling again.

I would seriously consider purchasing travel insurance as you get closer, and maybe wait until there is more certainty about the cruise happening. It's always nice to have all the details wrapped up, and all you have to do is show up, but waiting seems like the best option right now.

It might also make sense to look at the difference in fares between reusable and refundable for the flights you are considering.

37 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Many airlines havr very generous cancellation and/or rebooking policies right now.  I think Delta does, so look into that. 

I agree.  We had purchased airline tickets (American Airlines) for our now-cancelled trip to New Orleans and were able to switch those over for a trip to Miami in December at no cost (except for a small charge for increase airfare.....but no change fee).

If the OP does not have any plans to fly later, then I agree; the best plan is to wait.  If, however, there is a trip to which the cancelled flight could be moved, I feel it's pretty safe to go ahead and book.  

PS.  I have not found the flights to be particularly "cheap" right now.  I keep hearing about deals, but I haven't run into any, personally.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

PS.  I have not found the flights to be particularly "cheap" right now.  I keep hearing about deals, but I haven't run into any, personally.

I was flabergasted two days ago as my wife and I were discussing travel to Hilton Head from Nashville in July which has traditionally been in the $500-$600 range. The lowest coach fare right now is $153 round trip, so if this conference we have planned happens, you can bet that we are flying directly to the island instead of flying to Savannah or driving.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Regardless of what you decide wrt booking flights, you need to get the hotel reservation made now. November in South Florida fills up fast.

But try to get a rate with free cancellation! Allows you to cancel without penalty should your cruise be cancelled, and you can cancel/rebook if you see the rates go down in the interim.

5 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

I have a cruise aboard the Oasis on November 8, 2020. At this point, my cruise has been paid in full over 6+ months ago. While that is paid off, I never booked my flights to Ft. Lauderdale or my hotel (as I like to arrive a day before sailing) My dilemma now is whether or not I should book a hotel room and start to look for flights? I'm a Delta flier 99% of the time. The other 1% is when I fly Southwest to FLL for cruising. I'd hate to book my flights only for my cruise to be cancelled and then deal with having to cancel a flight and figure out when to re-schedule with Southwest as I hardly fly anywhere unless it's for a cruise.

I really hate the uncertainty of things right now and hate to tie up more future money not knowing what may happen. I guess I could always purchase some type of insurance, but that means spending even more money. I guess I am just reaching out to you all to see what you would do in my situation?

Thanks all!

I’m on that same cruise with you on 11/8. Even if you wanted to book a flight on southwest you couldn’t at this point. Their November and beyond schedule doesn’t open till 5/28. You could also book fully refundable flights on either airline. 
The hotel is also an easy cancelation as you’ll know about any cancelation more than a day or two out. 

I am also a frequent Delta Flyer and it always seems that their prices defy the odds. Time after time I've waited to book flights thinking I'm booking too far out only to have those original prices be the lowest I ever saw. I'd say if you are comfortable with the price and you could travel elsewhere (& pay change fees if applicable then) then I would say book when you want. I feel that as more of the country opens up and more travel is at least possible or more than a major unknown that flights are going to start increasing in price back to more normal prices or more fees are going to get tacked on them to raise the price.

We had to move our may cruise to end of October. We had an air BNB booked and were able to cancel it. The air BNB host actually reached out to me and said I'll put the dates on hold call me in August and if you still want the dates in October we will make it happen. He even took 100 off the price if we booked through him privately without all the air BNB fees (yes there's a contract it's through vrbo which he says is cheaper then Airbnb). Our flights were transferrable too . We got $77 roundtrip tickets from Philly to fort Lauderdale . It's an insane deal. Never that cheap. I even have $80 voucher from our may flights. I figured if we don't go and I can't get the $77 ticket back then I'm okay. Just gotta use my $80 voucher before next march

So I'd say if the price is right get the flights. November is a hot month for hotels too again if the price is right and you can take the hit if you don't go I'd go for it. I beleive Airbnb has a 48 cancel window but I could be wrong with that

1 hour ago, teddy said:

We're leaving on Navigator from Miami on November 9th.  We decided to say the hell with it and booked our flights/hotel room a couple weeks ago.

I found the cheapest flights I have ever seen from Maine to Miami and didn't want to wait.  $117 pp round trip.

If I could find that type of price, I would book! I'm going from Washington, D.C. to FLL and the cheapest I have found so far is around $325 pp. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems pretty high to me. Waiting for Southwest to open up their flights for November and see where they are at with prices.

24 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

If I could find that type of price, I would book! I'm going from Washington, D.C. to FLL and the cheapest I have found so far is around $325 pp. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems pretty high to me. Waiting for Southwest to open up their flights for November and see where they are at with prices.

Kinda far but I got $77 from Philly to fort Lauderdale for October!

1 hour ago, CJS2766 said:

I'll never understand how pricing for flights works.  Just when I think I have it figured out, I'm wrong.

The same round trip flight we booked on 4/26 for $117 each is now $147 each.  It's still a good price, but I don't understand why the price changes like that.

Good luck finding cheap flights to Fort Lauderdale!! ?