2021 Travel LAX and Retun - Venice or Rome

hello 

does anyone have any insight on the best fairs to Rome in June 2021 Family of 5

return from Venice to Lax or take the train back to Rome and depart from there

Thoughts or suggestions all responses appreciated

Michael

The correct answer is that no one will have any idea.

It’s impossible to say who will fly, with what routes, and under what conditions in 2021.

No matter what any one of us has managed in the past when it comes to flights - it will not apply to future flights. I’ve read of industry people (like the CEO of Boeing) anticipate that we will not likely see a new normal for air travel until 2023.

Here are my best educated guesses for international air travel in 2021:

- Social distancing will still be an enforced norm in 2021 when traveling by air and transiting through airports.

- There will be fewer flights available in general, and even more ‘hub and spoke’ routings (both domestic and international.)

- Some airlines will not survive the downturn in air travel (that will be even more severe than post 9/11.)

- The price of flights will likely be higher that in the recent past. I anticipate that we shall see more taxes/surcharges and fees added to base fares.

- For international travel, be prepared to not only check on visa requirements, but also health requirements, which may be in place in order to enter countries to be visited.

- For several science-based reasons, combined with ‘grey market’ opportunism, I really don’t see “immunity passports” as a reliable option that would be widely adopted - so don’t pin hopes on these, even though the idea is being banted about.

If anyone else wants to try their best guesses, we could turn this into an interesting discussion, as several of us would like to return to Europe next year.

2 hours ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

If anyone else wants to try their best guesses, we could turn this into an interesting discussion, as several of us would like to return to Europe next year.

I have my hopes for Nov 2020.  However, I'm not so sure the Allure transAtlantic from Barcelona to Miami is likely to happen.  First, Spain has to open up.  Then I will need to get a flight to Barcelona and I can only imagine what that will be like.  Finally, the cruise must actually happen with a crew.   When I imagine all the cruising precautions in place, I will need to decide if I really want to go since the amplification isn't likely to happen.  All of this assumes I can disembark without too many hassles when we arrive in the United States and hopefully without a case of Covid-19.  For now, I won't even think about a flight from Miami to my home in the Midwest.  Maybe next year would be a better time or perhaps 2022.

7 hours ago, M First said:

hello 

Michael

I would check flying also from Milan as Venice to Milan train will take less time then the Venice to Rome train ... 
Anyway take into consideration that to get from the port to Vince train station with suitcase is not that easy , you will need to take people move train and than walk over a bridge to the train station.

another option will be to take a taxi to Mestre train station and take the train from there. 

15 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I have my hopes for Nov 2020.  However, I'm not so sure the Allure transAtlantic from Barcelona to Miami is likely to happen.  First, Spain has to open up.  Then I will need to get a flight to Barcelona and I can only imagine what that will be like.  Finally, the cruise must actually happen with a crew.   When I imagine all the cruising precautions in place, I will need to decide if I really want to go since the amplification isn't likely to happen.  For now, I won't even think about a flight from Miami to my home in the Midwest.  Maybe next year would be a better time or perhaps 2022.

You have a solid grasp of what the challenges to flying will be like in the coming months.

Unfortunately, the FCC system is going to place some people in the difficult position of trying to figure how the “how to get there” after the fact, having rebooked their cruises for 2021 or seeing really good prices for cruises in Europe for next year. 

13 hours ago, M First said:

hello 

Michael

As others have mentioned, it is far too early to tell what routes and fares will be next summer.
However, having flown from the west coast to Italy several times, I've noticed Venice tends to have higher fares than flying out of Milan or Rome, and always requires a layover. I believe there are direct flights from LAX to/from Milan and Rome (or at least prior to the pandemic).

Always better to fly into Rome than the less popular cities, imho, and in this instance Venice is indeed a less popular one.  LAX will probably have a direct flight to Rome and maybe a connecting flight back. However you don't have to fly in and fly out of the same hub, especially when it comes to international travel. Often times there may be a special fare price for a one way ticket, which means you could book a return flight from your final and different destination. You have to weigh not just the cost but cost of time. Train tickets plus the hours to travel for the 5 of you from Venice back to Rome may be more than just flying home from Rome.

Hello Everyone,

looking for advise for 2021 looking to spend one week in Roman, Florence, Venice then 7 night cruise on Rhapsody of the Sears , expected sale date is June 26, 2021 we want to fly into Rome and take the Train to Florence, then Venice and then get on the ship. Question do we fly back to LAX from Venice or do we take the train to Rome and then fly from Rome to LAX -

Thoughts please what will be a better and more cost effective choice for a family of 5

Thank you

Michael

Looking for advise for 2021 looking to spend one week in Roman, Florence, Venice then 7 night cruise on Rhapsody of the Sears , expected sale date is June 26, 2021 we want to fly into Rome and take the Train to Florence, then Venice and then get on the ship. Question do we fly back to LAX from Venice or do we take the train to Rome and then fly from Rome to LAX -

Thoughts please what will be a better and more cost effective choice for a family of 5

Thank you

Michael

Book a one way to Rome, do whatever you plan prior to the ship departing. If the Ship ends back up in Venice, fly back to Lax from there. Often one way fares are cheaper. While EU trains run pretty well, there is no reason to add in extra time and stress to a trip. The cost of time and money will probably be more than flying out of Venice home. No to mention anything can happen when you add to your transportation. Any sort of delay can cost more money.

FYI....This is the third time you have posted this topic. Please look through previous threads.

Is your goal to save money or is your goal convenience?

Do you have time limitations on your overall trip?

First of all, are you doing the pre-cruise tour independently, or are you on  a tour?

How old are the children and are they seasoned international travelers?

In any case, you have already stated that your preference is to fly to Rome and begin your tour there.  Truth be told, you could spend a week just in Rome/Florence and the surrounding area.

You will need to map out in detail and plan all your logistics to ensure that all connections are made and all itinerary items are covered.

Upon arrival you will lose a day (or more) recovering from jet lag, time changes, and getting situated.

Allow one full day of travel used to train to Venice and check-in to your hotel.

Another day of travel used is checking out of Venice hotel, getting to the pier, boarding the ship.

Last year I sailed out of Venice and I flew directly non-stop there from my home city, spent five days in advance, including a day tour to Verona. At cruise end we again flew right out of Venice. The cost may be a bit higher, but the airport is small and the convenience is unbeatable.

My brother took a different cruise out of Rome and flew there in advance to spend time touring.  He has a larger family and they drove ten hours to Canada (and back) to catch a cheaper international flight. 

Because prices and air travel schedules are up in the air, it will be a bit more difficult to calculate cost savings.

Have fun planning!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Our plan is to Fly from LAX to Rome on Friday night then spend two days in Rome, then Florence for two day next two days in Venice, Take the ship for 7 day Greece cruise and then return to Venice back to LAX on Saturday

Looking for best choices for Air and on a tight budget family of 5 with three 19 years. This will be our first international trip. I know we are planning over 400 days away bet I want to be prepared for everything - Ideas and suggestions are always appreciated.

Thank you

Michael

If you are looking for bargains and nobody has mentioned it yet you can set up a Google Flights tracker based on the dates you want to travel. I did that for our Nasvhlle to Rome flights last Septermber and for months the fare never varied within a small range. Then one Saturday I remembered to check my tracker and it said if I booked an American Airlines flight through British Airways as a codeshare I could get 2 round trip tickets for what the price had been for 1 ticket for months. The info was so detailed it even said this price was only good to book by phone but the price included the $50 booking by phone fee BA would charge. I grabbed my phone and booked it ASAP! Oh, and on that same google flight tracker the two tickets I bought for about $1200 total would have been $2700 had I booked the same flights direct with American Airlines that day.