Anthem Of The Seas To Galveston, Tx...???

1 minute ago, Texas cruiser said:

Reread my post....Where did I say that Anthem is an Oasis class ship class?

I don't want to fight.  My intention was not to offend.  This thread is about ANTHEM moving, which is a Quantum class.  You keep bringing up Oasis class.  Nowhere in the rumor mill is there any word that Symphony, Harmony or Oasis is moving to TX.  Thus, to me mentioning Oasis class is mute.

Granted if an Oasis class can fit, than I am sure a Quantum class. 

5 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

One of the smaller class ships at first..... Adventure Of The Seas. What's not to get....Ships move all the time.

HUH?  Adventure is already at Cape Liberty/Bayonne.  I sailed on her July 2019.  Actually, you are behind the 8 ball.  Adventure is on the books to go to TX next season.  Freedom will be replacing her out of Bayonne.  Liberty will now be in FL. 

Going back to @Chadster's  question who will replace Anthem at Bayonne?   I think due to CoVid it is up in the air.  I think this season was "suppose" to be a trial run for the Bayonne market regarding demand.  They would have had both Oasis and Anthem, plus Adventure, and I believe Empress.  This is on top of their Celebrity ships.  If they saw they could sail 100% occupancy on all 4, than it would make sense to have 4 different classes.  NCL sails out of NYC with similar itineraries.  It would be about gaining more market share.  

6 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

Also...you do realize when he says Oasis Class....He means the fleet not the ship (Oasis/Allure/Harmony/Symphony)..

Yes, I know it was the class. Hence, why I said Oasis is located in NJ.

7 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

.FYI. I saw it and last I checked NJ and NY area are little down the list of cruise ports in the US...1 2 and 3 being Florida and which port is 4th...oh that right...it's Galveston, TX. Which is why Carnival is opening in those states first

Please share the link.  I have no problem eating crow, just let me make some brown gravy so it is doable for me to eat.?

I agree that currently TX is doing so much better reopening than NJ/NY.  However, we are also putting the cart before the horse since before any ship leaves port they need the CDC to let them go.  NJ  is going to relent on reopening.  Why?  Because impo, they can't keep the tourism reason as a defense when many people in NJ work in NYC and they are will open the beaches for Memorial Day.  OH and add in those huge containers ships docked in NJ.  

Can I see TX also sailing early?  Yes, because they can hit Labadee.  However, NJ can hit Coco Cay.  

The thing is nobody knows where these ships will end when they come back from repatriating the crews.  Yet, what we do know is simple.  

•  Anthem and Oasis have sailings booked out of Cape Liberty for this summer.  If they turn and say you now have to fly to Miami or TX, many will cancel.  What will be their chances to rebook that ship with the same occupancy at a short notice?  SLIM.  
  •  I sail out of Miami or Bayonne.  Bayonne bc I can drive there.  My Oasis sailing out of NJ this yr was cancelled.  If they turned to me and said, Oasis was now going to sail out of Galveston, you can cancel with 125% booking or sail at 50% with OBC.  I would cancel and take the 125%.  My husband has no desire to do a Mexico cruise.  My Symphony cruise 5/2021 is going to both Labadee and Coco Cay. Getting to Galveston will require airports and extra travel.  I live in VA, it is a 4 hr at tops car ride.  The 50% off would be eaten up with airfare at such a short notice, plus a hotel since we never fly on the sail date.  
  •  I am betting Galveston is like NJ regarding passengers.  More passengers drive than fly to the port compared to Miami.  I will say the same is true for me if they told me my Oasis or Anthem sailing would be out of Miami.  Give me the 125%.  I am not going to drive 13 hrs. to a port.  Direct flights to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale will cost an arm and a leg at short notice.  

In the end I think RCL has and is doing market research while working hand in hand with reservations and ports.  Yes, Miami impo will be the 1st to roll out.  

2 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

I don't want to fight.  My intention was not to offend.  This thread is about ANTHEM moving, which is a Quantum class.  You keep bringing up Oasis class.  Nowhere in the rumor mill is there any word that Symphony, Harmony or Oasis is moving to TX.  Thus, to me mentioning Oasis class is mute.

Granted if an Oasis class can fit, than I am sure a Quantum class. 

HUH?  Adventure is already at Cape Liberty/Bayonne.  I sailed on her July 2019.  Actually, you are behind the 8 ball.  Adventure is on the books to go to TX next season.  Freedom will be replacing her out of Bayonne.  Liberty will now be in FL. 

Going back to @Chadster's  question who will replace Anthem at Bayonne?   I think due to CoVid it is up in the air.  I think this season was "suppose" to be a trial run for the Bayonne market regarding demand.  They would have had both Oasis and Anthem, plus Adventure, and I believe Empress.  This is on top of their Celebrity ships.  If they saw they could sail 100% occupancy on all 4, than it would make sense to have 4 different classes.  NCL sails out of NYC with similar itineraries.  It would be about gaining more market share.  

Not offended....Just don't get your argument. 

My point exactly about Adventure....It's already there and is an older class ship. Smaller and would not be the PR nightmare it would be if it was Anthem...

Liberty is moving to Florida now???  If all stays the same..Liberty is not set to head to leave Galveston until October 2021.

The highest density of Covid Cases in the US and you think RCCL will sail 4 ships out of Cape...really how does that make good financial sense? 

My thought process is based on actual evidence of things to possibly come...Anthem was in the latest Power Point from the port of Galveston and Allure is currently booking Galveston.

3 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

Yes, I know it was the class. Hence, why I said Oasis is located in NJ.

Please share the link.  I have no problem eating crow, just let me make some brown gravy so it is doable for me to eat.?

I agree that currently TX is doing so much better reopening than NJ/NY.  However, we are also putting the cart before the horse since before any ship leaves port they need the CDC to let them go.  NJ  is going to relent on reopening.  Why?  Because impo, they can't keep the tourism reason as a defense when many people in NJ work in NYC and they are will open the beaches for Memorial Day.  OH and add in those huge containers ships docked in NJ.  

Can I see TX also sailing early?  Yes, because they can hit Labadee.  However, NJ can hit Coco Cay.  

The thing is nobody knows where these ships will end when they come back from repatriating the crews.  Yet, what we do know is simple.  

•  Anthem and Oasis have sailings booked out of Cape Liberty for this summer.  If they turn and say you now have to fly to Miami or TX, many will cancel.  What will be their chances to rebook that ship with the same occupancy at a short notice?  SLIM.  
  •  I sail out of Miami or Bayonne.  Bayonne bc I can drive there.  My Oasis sailing out of NJ this yr was cancelled.  If they turned to me and said, Oasis was now going to sail out of Galveston, you can cancel with 125% booking or sail at 50% with OBC.  I would cancel and take the 125%.  My husband has no desire to do a Mexico cruise.  My Symphony cruise 5/2021 is going to both Labadee and Coco Cay. Getting to Galveston will require airports and extra travel.  I live in VA, it is a 4 hr at tops car ride.  The 50% off would be eaten up with airfare at such a short notice, plus a hotel since we never fly on the sail date.  
  •  I am betting Galveston is like NJ regarding passengers.  More passengers drive than fly to the port compared to Miami.  I will say the same is true for me if they told me my Oasis or Anthem sailing would be out of Miami.  Give me the 125%.  I am not going to drive 13 hrs. to a port.  Direct flights to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale will cost an arm and a leg at short notice.  

In the end I think RCL has and is doing market research while working hand in hand with reservations and ports.  Yes, Miami impo will be the 1st to roll out.  

You are missing a very important point. You have 25+ million people that are within driving distance to Galveston which is why it will be one of the first to open and why RCCL is building their own terminal.

It not about distance as it is itinerary options as to why more sailing go to COCO Cay from NJ/NY than Galveston. Royal has limited options out of the northern ports, so that is why more sailing go there than Galveston. 

I do think that royal is making a huge mistake not sailing more cruises from Galveston to COCO Cay and the Bahamas....I really think it has to do with not wanting to disrupt the Florida market as they get a lot of travelers from all over the US and especially the west coast. I think things will change once terminal 3 is completed. 

@Texas cruiser  My bad.  I think it is Indy that is in FL currently, but Liberty is leaving in 2021 and Adventure is to replace her..

17 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

My point exactly about Adventure....It's already there and is an older class ship.

I was also responding to the fact that Adventure is leaving for Galveston.  @Chadster asked you which ship do you think would replace Anthem?  Your response was Adventure.   Adventure that has been there for yrs. It is not a replacement per se.  Additionally, my response was seeing as Adventure is going to Galveston and replacing her with Freedom in 2021, your answer is not current with ship movements.  So if it was current for 2021 the response should have been Freedom since Adventure will be in TX. You can book a cruise on Freedom out of Bayonne in 2021, but no sailing on Adventure.  They maybe sister ships, but still, cruisers like to try different ships.

You can't have passengers booking a 2021 cruise with specific cabins selected and expecting to sail on Adventure out of Galveston and be told...nope, sorry we replaced it with....different class ship!  RCL will have to pay OBC, to soothe the savage beasts (passengers).  RCL won't have that money.

•   I have sailed with both sides of my family (mine on Anthem, Hubby's on Adventure).  My family was it has to be Anthem, Adventure is too small.  Husband's side was it has to be Adventure, Anthem is too big.  Point is people not only select ports, but if they have multiple ships they select a ship too.   
  •  What I read with you is a ship is a ship.  No way, no how can you say Anthem and Adventure are interchangeable.  

FWIW, I like Adventure more than Anthem.

27 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

The highest density of Covid Cases in the US and you think RCCL will sail 4 ships out of Cape...really how does that make good financial sense? 

You do realize the CDC is saying no sailing until end of July?    We are talking from this day to July 26th, 73 days.   73 days.  Look at the turn since mid March,  it has flattened. 

Will say it again NJ is opening their beaches in 2 weeks for Memorial Day.  Do you think that NYers will not be driving there?  We are talking maybe an hr car ride from Staten Island. 

As a Jersey girl. I have no fear getting on a ship, but flying, I am on the not this year!  Move my ship to a new port, I am cancelling my cruise.

1 hour ago, Texas cruiser said:

What I am saying regarding Galveston is that terminal 2 in Galveston can already house an Oasis Class ship in theory based unless the concept art for the terminal 2 revamp is wrong...

I was actually wondering if perhaps that presentation bullet point that we're all basing this rumor of Anthem on was a mistake and they meant to say Allure -- that they were going to look into whether Terminal 2 could accept her.  I had assumed that the port didn't have anything built that could accommodate an Oasis class ship, but I had read that even if they could physically fit at the dock, but it's more that the terminal wouldn't be able to handle the number of people.

You are missing a very important point. You have 25+ million people that are within driving distance to Galveston which is why it will be one of the first to open and why RCCL is building their own terminal.

It not about distance as it is itinerary options as to why more sailing go to COCO Cay from NJ/NY than Galveston. Royal has limited options out of the northern ports, so that is why more sailing go there than Galveston. 

I do think that royal is making a huge mistake not sailing more cruises from Galveston to COCO Cay and the Bahamas....I really think it has to do with not wanting to disrupt the Florida market as they get a lot of travelers from all over the US and especially the west coast. I think things will change once terminal 3 is completed. 

My last response.  I am chiming out after this.  I will read your response, but will not bite. We just need to agree to disagree.

1. 25+ Million.  

•  My amazing son has lived in TX as an AF pilot (2 different bases).  My amazing hubby served in the AF too.  We did x-country road trips and always drove through TX.  An entire day from entering and exiting TX.   I mean pure 8 - 10 hrs driving.
  •  Now let's do that same 8 hrs. for Bayonne.  You have NY/CT/NJ/DE/MD/PA and VA within 4 hrs at tops when we are talking. Manhattan, Long Island, Hartford, anywhere in NJ, Philly, anywhere in DE. Baltimore, DC, northern VA.  Heck if you live in VT, MASS., NH. RI, WV or NC you can make it there  in 8 hrs by car.  

You can take a direct flight from Raleigh NC or Boston to Newark, and be an uber car ride away.  Can you say that about Galveston?   Please remember I may book a balcony and do the UDP and DBP plus excursions, but I do have a limited budget.  You move my sailing to a new port, I have to add in that cost.

2. Please show me the link that RCL sails more out of Galveston.

•  NJ and Baltimore BOTH sail to NE.  Said it before, will say it again.  Not every cruiser wants a beach experience...shocking bc I can't fathom it.  Many want the east coast version of wilderness.  They want to get out of the heat.  Galveston, nor Miami can do that.  Now add on the fact they cancelled all AK cruises, the only comparable cruise would be NE and that means Bayonne.
  •  Granted come late October they only sail southbound, but for this debate we are talking AUG when they start rolling out.  They  can sail both north and southbound out of NJ.
  •  Plus, ships like Adventure move from Liberty to FLL end of Oct.  That is their schedule.  They do the repositioning cruises up to Canada and down to FL.

3.  RCL making a mistake not sailing to Coco Cay/Bahamas out of Galveston.

•  That to me makes huge sense.  Galveston can hit their private island, Labadee. Mexico and even Jamaica.  It means less ships at Coco Cay.  Passengers are already fearful that it will be too crowded.
  •  How many days would that cruise take?  
  •  Bahamas?  You ain't missing a thing.  RCL knows from their own research, hence the twisting of the arm with the Bahamian govt to get them to build a new terminal.
  •  Bermuda. I do have pity.

4. Yes, they get west coasters out of FL., but this is what I will say from someone that rotates annually (Miami/Bayonne). 

• I have always found there are a ton more Europeans on our Miami sailings.  I think it is because for them they see it as a bucket list trip, and hit Disney and Orlando at the same time.  Which means west coasters are not a factor.
  •  Our NJ sailings seemed to have more west coasters bc they, like Europeans wanted to see NYC.  

I recall sitting at the 1st night on all of those cruises and each time NJ sailings had way more US citizens compared to international, yet out of Miami it was the opposite.

I get your defense of Galveston.  However, this is not personal.  It is business.  If you go through faking bookings through the summer of 2021, there is no Oasis or Quantum class on the books.  Bringing us back to the OP and the question of ANTHEM out of Galveston.

Again, I am willing to eat crow, heck I will color in my coloring book while I eat it, but I really would love to see the links or sources that you keep mentioning in your posts.

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

My last response.  I am chiming out after this.  I will read your response, but will not bite. We just need to agree to disagree.

1. 25+ Million.  

•  My amazing son has lived in TX as an AF pilot (2 different bases).  My amazing hubby served in the AF too.  We did x-country road trips and always drove through TX.  An entire day from entering and exiting TX.   I mean pure 8 - 10 hrs driving.
  •  Now let's do that same 8 hrs. for Bayonne.  You have NY/CT/NJ/DE/MD/PA and VA within 4 hrs at tops when we are talking. Manhattan, Long Island, Hartford, anywhere in NJ, Philly, anywhere in DE. Baltimore, DC, northern VA.  Heck if you live in VT, MASS., NH. RI, WV or NC you can make it there  in 8 hrs by car.  

You can take a direct flight from Raleigh NC or Boston to Newark, and be an uber car ride away.  Can you say that about Galveston?   Please remember I may book a balcony and do the UDP and DBP plus excursions, but I do have a limited budget.  You move my sailing to a new port, I have to add in that cost.

2. Please show me the link that RCL sails more out of Galveston.

•  NJ and Baltimore BOTH sail to NE.  Said it before, will say it again.  Not every cruiser wants a beach experience...shocking bc I can't fathom it.  Many want the east coast version of wilderness.  They want to get out of the heat.  Galveston, nor Miami can do that.  Now add on the fact they cancelled all AK cruises, the only comparable cruise would be NE and that means Bayonne.
  •  Granted come late October they only sail southbound, but for this debate we are talking AUG when they start rolling out.  They  can sail both north and southbound out of NJ.
  •  Plus, ships like Adventure move from Liberty to FLL end of Oct.  That is their schedule.  They do the repositioning cruises up to Canada and down to FL.

3.  RCL making a mistake not sailing to Coco Cay/Bahamas out of Galveston.

•  That to me makes huge sense.  Galveston can hit their private island, Labadee. Mexico and even Jamaica.  It means less ships at Coco Cay.  Passengers are already fearful that it will be too crowded.
  •  How many days would that cruise take?  
  •  Bahamas?  You ain't missing a thing.  RCL knows from their own research, hence the twisting of the arm with the Bahamian govt to get them to build a new terminal.
  •  Bermuda. I do have pity.

4. Yes, they get west coasters out of FL., but this is what I will say from someone that rotates annually (Miami/Bayonne). 

• I have always found there are a ton more Europeans on our Miami sailings.  I think it is because for them they see it as a bucket list trip, and hit Disney and Orlando at the same time.  Which means west coasters are not a factor.
  •  Our NJ sailings seemed to have more west coasters bc they, like Europeans wanted to see NYC.  

I recall sitting at the 1st night on all of those cruises and each time NJ sailings had way more US citizens compared to international, yet out of Miami it was the opposite.

I get your defense of Galveston.  However, this is not personal.  It is business.  If you go through faking bookings through the summer of 2021, there is no Oasis or Quantum class on the books.  Bringing us back to the OP and the question of ANTHEM out of Galveston.

I respect your families service to our country.

Galveston is the 4th largest cruise depart port in the country is a "FACT." https://blog.cruise.me/top-10-busiest-us-cruise-ports-86558be3f44

As for everything else we will agree to disagree and hope things get back to some sort of normal asap.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

I was actually wondering if perhaps that presentation bullet point that we're all basing this rumor of Anthem on was a mistake and they meant to say Allure -- that they were going to look into whether Terminal 2 could accept her.  I had assumed that the port didn't have anything built that could accommodate an Oasis class ship, but I had read that even if they could physically fit at the dock, but it's more that the terminal wouldn't be able to handle the number of people.

It can happen...I think the city and the port are concerned about traffic flow around the port.

As for everything else we will agree to disagree and hope things get back to some sort of normal asap.

Agreed.

Now back on point.  Anthem is not on the books for 2020 or 2021.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I was actually wondering if perhaps that presentation bullet point that we're all basing this rumor of Anthem on was a mistake and they meant to say Allure -- that they were going to look into whether Terminal 2 could accept her.

Kind of laughing here. We can all recall the IT oops $18 pp/pd DBP.  I would hope and think that RCL would believe in the saying:

Spit on me 1x shame on you, 2x shame on me.  

I seriously can't see them not checking, double checking, triple checking from the RCL side!

The way I read what Matt posted is that RCL did not say it would send Anthem, but the PORT of GALVESTON stated that the Head Engineer worked with RCL on the POSSIBILITIES of Anthem coming to Galveston.  Key here this is the Port of Galveston saying it. not RCL.  They cannot control what the Port of Galveston says publicly.

•  The port is saying that they talked to RCL about the possibility of receiving Anthem at Terminal 2.
  •  RCL booking wise does not show Anthem through spring 2021 in Texas. Nor any announcement of her going there.  
  • Look deeper into what Galveston was saying.  It is incredibly vague.  The head engineer stated nothing more than worked with RCL about possibilities.  Galveston did not say they talked to RCL and they agreed that they will be sending a Quantum or Oasis class to Galveston. 

It just said, this is a re-cap for April, and people jumped on it that it was a done deal.

FWIW, I am not a huge Anthem fan.  Her moving to TX is no sweat off of my back, sailed her 2x.  It might be an amazing ROI for their company bc I bet many will flock in that area to be able to sail out of TX on a Quantum ship.  If I am correct they have not had a Quantum ship yet.  New product, and the ship is still considered new.  RCL will be fine as long as they keep an Oasis class in NJ.  

2 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

Agreed.

Now back on point.  Anthem is not on the books for 2020 or 2021.

Kind of laughing here. We can all recall the IT oops $18 pp/pd DBP.  I would hope and think that RCL would believe in the saying:

Spit on me 1x shame on you, 2x shame on me.  

I seriously can't see them not checking, double checking, triple checking from the RCL side!

The way I read what Matt posted is that RCL did not say it would send Anthem, but the PORT of GALVESTON stated that the Head Engineer worked with RCL on the POSSIBILITIES of Anthem coming to Galveston.  Key here this is the Port of Galveston saying it. not RCL.  They cannot control what the Port of Galveston says publicly.

•  The port is saying that they talked to RCL about the possibility of receiving Anthem at Terminal 2.
  •  RCL booking wise does not show Anthem through spring 2021 in Texas. Nor any announcement of her going there.  
  • Look deeper into what Galveston was saying.  It is incredibly vague.  The head engineer stated nothing more than worked with RCL about possibilities.  Galveston did not say they talked to RCL and they agreed that they will be sending a Quantum or Oasis class to Galveston. 

It just said, this is a re-cap for April, and people jumped on it that it was a done deal.

FWIW, I am not a huge Anthem fan.  Her moving to TX is no sweat off of my back, sailed her 2x.  It might be an amazing ROI for their company bc I bet many will flock in that area to be able to sail out of TX on a Quantum ship.  If I am correct they have not had a Quantum ship yet.  New product, and the ship is still considered new.  RCL will be fine as long as they keep an Oasis class in NJ.  

RCL will never mention anything publicly until all is agreed too and no it was not a mistake. I have been hearing lots of chatter throughout the industry about this. Here is the article she is referring too: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/04/27/port-of-galveston-meeting-week-discuss-delay-new-port-construction-and-anthem-of-the-seas

I imagine that Royal wanted to validate if a Quantum class ship could make port into Galveston as it is today, pre-expansion.  These types of inquiries are routine and involve engineering analysis of the port, water depths, turning radius, predominant winds, pier mooring points, etc.  

For example when Victoria B.C. could not expand the designated pier for Quantum class when the custom steel they had ordered fell off a cargo ship coming from China they needed to determine if it was possible to use an existing pier as it was built at the time.  They went to the port, met with port officials and they did a technical analysis before determining they could in fact still safely bring Quantum class into the port and use the one pier that could accommodate her.   

While Allure may be out of the question (that analysis was done long ago) it's possible Royal was simply validating IF a Quantum class ship could use Galveston as it stands today.  This analysis would let Royal know if it was even an option to consider as the situation unfolds.  What if NYC area ports remain closed but Texas ports opened for cruising?  Could they consider moving Anthem to Texas in that scenario?  Without the study they wouldn't know. 

So Royal does the study and someone from the port announces that Royal is looking to move Anthem to Texas while in reality they just wanted to know if it was even possible.  

10 hours ago, twangster said:

I imagine that Royal wanted to validate if a Quantum class ship could make port into Galveston as it is today, pre-expansion.  These types of inquiries are routine and involve engineering analysis of the port, water depths, turning radius, predominant winds, pier mooring points, etc.  

For example when Victoria B.C. could not expand the designated pier for Quantum class when the custom steel they had ordered fell off a cargo ship coming from China they needed to determine if it was possible to use an existing pier as it was built at the time.  They went to the port, met with port officials and they did a technical analysis before determining they could in fact still safely bring Quantum class into the port and use the one pier that could accommodate her.   

While Allure may be out of the question (that analysis was done long ago) it's possible Royal was simply validating IF a Quantum class ship could use Galveston as it stands today.  This analysis would let Royal know if it was even an option to consider as the situation unfolds.  What if NYC area ports remain closed but Texas ports opened for cruising?  Could they consider moving Anthem to Texas in that scenario?  Without the study they wouldn't know. 

So Royal does the study and someone from the port announces that Royal is looking to move Anthem to Texas while in reality they just wanted to know if it was even possible.  

I agree 100% with most everything you said, and I always enjoy reading your comments as it obvious you know what your talking about. 

10 minutes ago, carolchacha said:

Earlier this year I heard Allure of the Seas  was coming to Galveston Texas in 2021.

She was, but that was only because of the new Royal Caribbean terminal that was going to be built.  That's been delayed, so now Allure likely can't come (the current terminal isn't capable of accommodating an Oasis class ship).