Anthem Of The Seas To Galveston, Tx...???

There was an unconfirmed rumor but nothing official.  Like all the "which ships will head where" speculation prior to virus the rumors are even more speculative with the virus.

In a recent UK based report there was a suggestion that Anthem would still operate from the UK once cruising returns to normal.  She has to get her technical maintenance complete in a dry dock soon so that suggestion appears somewhat more plausible at this point.  The marine maintenance cannot be deferred, she requires it to be certified to sail.

Until you see Royal announce it, it's just another rumor or possibility subject to change.  

I hope Enchantment of the Seas is a ship that starts up in Galveston when cruising begins.  I don't see any problems with RCCL using a couple chips at Galveston as Carnival is planning on staring with three ships from the same port (I do understand that they use different piers which could affect this....)

@Texas cruiser  I thought Adventure was going to Galveston.

@jaredhamburg  I would be shocked if they send Enchantment.  If they do I think it would be for a short time.  Enchantment is take over for Lady G out of Baltimore.  Lady G was suppose to do her last sailing in spring of 2021.  If the sale has been delayed due to CoVid, than maybe.  Yet, I still  don't see Enchantment going.

Sorry if I said something vague.  EOS is in Galveston until being moved to Baltimore.  I just want it to be one of the first ones to go so my 9/25/2020 cruise out of Galveston actually happens.  Fingers crossed.  I am sure you're right and that planned ship movements between ports will be way different.

@Pima1988

"Anthem of the seas" was in the latest Power Point presentation from the latest Galveston wharf meeting...Makes lots of sense to have a newer ship out of Galveston as Royal will most likely follow the same coarse of action as Carnival.....Miami, PC and Galveston.

I can't see Royal sailing out of any other port in the US...especially NY.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, twangster said:

There was an unconfirmed rumor but nothing official.  Like all the "which ships will head where" speculation prior to virus the rumors are even more speculative with the virus.

In a recent UK based report there was a suggestion that Anthem would still operate from the UK once cruising returns to normal.  She has to get her technical maintenance complete in a dry dock soon so that suggestion appears somewhat more plausible at this point.  The marine maintenance cannot be deferred, she requires it to be certified to sail.

Until you see Royal announce it, it's just another rumor or possibility subject to change.  

I would assume the term "normal" to imply when the ships are all back sailing.....If RCCL take the same approach as Carnival they will be running a very limited fleet.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, Pima1988 said:

@Texas cruiser  I thought Adventure was going to Galveston.

@jaredhamburg  I would be shocked if they send Enchantment.  If they do I think it would be for a short time.  Enchantment is take over for Lady G out of Baltimore.  Lady G was suppose to do her last sailing in spring of 2021.  If the sale has been delayed due to CoVid, than maybe.  Yet, I still  don't see Enchantment going.

Adventure is not set to arrive until much later this year.

37 minutes ago, Texas cruiser said:

"Anthem of the seas" was in the latest Power Point presentation from the latest Galveston wharf meeting...Makes lots of sense to have a newer ship out of Galveston as Royal will most likely follow the same coarse of action as Carnival.....Miami, PC and Galveston.

Starting when?  This fall?

1 hour ago, Texas cruiser said:

If this does end up being the case and Anthem sails out of Galveston for, say, Thanksgiving, RCCL better make my compensation spectacular if they expect my reservation to stay intact. They'd better offer to pay for my airfare, hotel, and transportation to the port at a bare minimum. A move like this would cost them a lot of money -- and I'm not sure it's money they could easily make back on last-minute bookings, especially of 8 possible cruises that would be affected through the end of year alone.

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

If this does end up being the case and Anthem sails out of Galveston for, say, Thanksgiving, RCCL better make my compensation spectacular if they expect my reservation to stay intact. They'd better offer to pay for my airfare, hotel, and transportation to the port at a bare minimum. A move like this would cost them a lot of money -- and I'm not sure it's money they could easily make back on last-minute bookings, especially of 8 possible cruises that would be affected through the end of year alone.

Is your Thanksgiving Cruise on Anthem this year or in 2021?

Since Allure wasn’t due to move to Galveston until November 2021, I’m not expecting any announcements until the current crisis is over.  

42 minutes ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

Is your Thanksgiving Cruise on Anthem this year or in 2021?

Since Allure wasn’t due to move to Galveston until November 2021, I’m not expecting any announcements until the current crisis is over.  

2020. Personally, I'm thinking it would be a logistical and financial nightmare for RCCL or any other cruise line to move ships ahead of schedule.

1 minute ago, Chadster said:

2020. Personally, I'm thinking it would be a logistical and nightmare for RCCL or any other cruise line to move ships ahead of schedule.

Why....when every cruise line is already losing a lot more money, including in this case, Royal...compared to moving this one particular ship, let say base on the scenario that concerns you, during the time frame of "TG 2020", a little more than six months away. If Royal decide to move Anthem to Galveston, wouldn't that be consider a Royal Cancellation/Suspension from the original Itinerary; and, subject to the new Cruise with Confidence Lift & Shift policy, that obviously, put in place for this very reason, for Royal's plan ship movements, because of the potential limited sailing openings starting sometime after August...similar to what Carnival & I'm sure others are considering? Just asking.... 

25 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Why....when every cruise line is already losing a lot more money, including in this case, Royal...compared to moving this one particular ship, let say base on the scenario that concerns you, during the time frame of "TG 2020", a little more than six months away. If Royal decide to move Anthem to Galveston, wouldn't that be consider a Royal Cancellation/Suspension from the original Itinerary; and, subject to the new Cruise with Confidence Lift & Shift policy, that obviously, put in place for this very reason, for Royal's plan ship movements, because of the potential limited sailing openings starting sometime after August...similar to what Carnival & I'm sure others are considering? Just asking.... 

Wonder how they handle it if they do change the port?  Give you FCC?  Refund?  Let you do Lift and Shift?  But ours for example is 8 night Perfect Day Bahamas.  Doubt they would have that itinerary sailing from Galveston.  And as other poster mentioned flights, we were thinking of driving (partly due to passports expiring soon...but we do have nexus so could drive....assuming borders are open), but now we would have no choice but to fly). Then again, if New Jersey isn't opening up by the fall, then can see Anthem being a good candidate.

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Sure, it might work for some people, but I personally would have to cancel this cruise and get lost in the black hole of refunds or FCCs again, because I've already got a cruise booked for the same time next year. Plus, to me, moving departure and arrival to a different port on another coast of the country would be far more than a simple "itinerary change". I know in the case of a Mediterranean cruise that was originally supposed to depart from Italy got moved to Greece, and RCCL offered compensation in case the passenger incurred airline change fees. Of course, with a lot of airlines not currently charging change fees, I'd hope Royal would at least reimburse a passenger whose airfare is higher for the difference in airfare paid.

So, yeah, maybe I was a little hasty in saying "they should pay for airfare and hotel", but still -- it would, in my eyes, require more than their response to a normal itinerary change.

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Wonder how they handle it if they do change the port?  Give you FCC?  Refund?  Let you do Lift and Shift?  But ours for example is 8 night Perfect Day Bahamas.  Doubt they would have that itinerary sailing from Galveston.  And as other poster mentioned flights, we were thinking of driving (partly due to passports expiring soon...but we do have nexus so could drive....assuming borders are open), but now we would have no choice but to fly). Then again, if New Jersey isn't opening up by the fall, then can see Anthem being a good candidate.

The Anthem possible home port move to Galveston has been speculated ever since Galveston Steve link us to the article....so if true, and Royal already moving in that direction, according to the article....Royal obviously have been planning, fluidly,  what dates Anthem will sail out of Galveston; so, if it was to happen during TG holiday & therefore, I imagine it would probably be offered pretty soon, as well as, other potential sailings & ship movement, to compensate when cruises begin to open for sailing, on a limited basis.

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

Sure, it might work for some people, but I personally would have to cancel this cruise and get lost in the black hole of refunds or FCCs again, because I've already got a cruise booked for the same time next year. Plus, to me, moving departure and arrival to a different port on another coast of the country would be far more than a simple "itinerary change". I know in the case of a Mediterranean cruise that was originally supposed to depart from Italy got moved to Greece, and RCCL offered compensation in case the passenger incurred airline change fees. Of course, with a lot of airlines not currently charging change fees, I'd hope Royal would at least reimburse a passenger whose airfare is higher for the difference in airfare paid.

So, yeah, maybe I was a little hasty in saying "they should pay for airfare and hotel", but still -- it would, in my eyes, require more than their response to a normal itinerary change.

I was speaking specifically on why you feel it would cost Royal vs the current amount of revenue being loss now

16 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I was speaking specifically on why you feel it would cost Royal vs the current amount of revenue being loss now

Because I would think that their costs related to the berthing port would change, especially when it'd be a change that wasn't originally slated for 2020. Plus, wouldn't Royal then have to shift another ship to Cape Liberty to make up for the loss of Anthem, since Anthem has cruises from Port Liberty scheduled through at least March 2022?

Because I would think that their costs related to the berthing port would change, especially when it'd be a change that wasn't originally slated for 2020. Plus, wouldn't Royal then have to shift another ship to Cape Liberty to make up for the loss of Anthem, since Anthem has cruises from Port Liberty scheduled through at least March 2022?

No not exactly, because it more & more likely, their may be limited sailings, from specific ports...reasons why Galveston is apparently a favorable choice, in the 1st wave of opening. Any port in the NE area, more specifically, out of the Port Liberty is probable low on the scale of opening, given the state of the virus in that area, "stay in place" policy, & restriction that are in place currently….regardless on some possible level of improvement there. Hard to look that far off to 2022...one has to just look at the near future, suggesting to simply for now, the end of the year. So I fail to comprehend why such a move with Anthem is more costly when Royal at some point is going to have to determine which ships will sail during the 1st wave...they all will not be in service right out the gate...that's for certain. I suspect Anthem won't be the only ship to move, if the industry open up under limited sailings. The way things were, port operations, scheduling, etc, before lockdown, has all been thrown out the window and contingency by all parties involve I'm sure, being discussed & planned w/o penalty, because of the unique situation.

I definitely see the logic in temporarily relocating ships from the Northeast, or any closed ports for that matter, down to FL and TX while the northern ports are closed. Anthem would be a great choice.

Anthem isn't scheduled to return to Cape Liberty for over 6 months from now anyway until the 11/13/20 sailing. Only 6 cruises (all 8-night and one 12-night itineraries) are scheduled for them out of NY/NJ this NOV/DEC. 

However, at least for next year in the Summer/Fall of 2021, Cape Liberty is hopefully going to be busy with Oasis, Anthem, Freedom & Empress all heavily scheduled to sail out of NY/NJ (unless they prematurely start cancelling cruises for next summer and fall). This year is obviously a crap shoot and I'm still not confident our re-booked Oasis sailing (10/4) will ever take place this year! Maybe a Lift & Shift is in the future for us. Bottom line, as mentioned above, we won’t know until it’s officially announced.

So based on the presentation (which I assume is just possible option) and speculation....are we guessing that Anthem will be at Galveston this fall and return to New Jersey next fall?  So torn of what to do....whether to try and Lift and SIft to next year (which may not even work for us), or keep our Dec booking out of New Jersey.  If they move it to Galveston this Dec, we may not be able to even get there with our current passport situation.  I suppose if they move it for next year too, we'd look at the option of flying to Galveston (although not ideal port for us). Or if we keep it, would they compensate? Dec 2021 is $$$$ so we wouldn't book it flat out.

3 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

So based on the presentation (which I assume is just possible option) and speculation....are we guessing that Anthem will be at Galveston this fall and return to New Jersey next fall?  So torn of what to do....whether to try and Lift and SIft to next year (which may not even work for us), or keep our Dec booking out of New Jersey.  If they move it to Galveston this Dec, we may not be able to even get there with our current passport situation.  I suppose if they move it for next year too, we'd look at the option of flying to Galveston (although not ideal port for us). Or if we keep it, would they compensate? Dec 2021 is $$$$ so we wouldn't book it flat out.

If Anthem moves to Galveston I believe she will stay until Allure arrives. It's marketing 101....You need to draw excitement and people back to cruising and Galveston is probably going to be one of the first ports to open not to mention its importance to RCCL. With 25+ million people within driving distance of the port and people scared to fly it makes perfect sense.  Also, as I have said time and time again just because terminal 3 has been delayed doesn't mean Allure is not coming. Terminal 2 can already house an Oasis Class Ship. Don't be surprised to see some major ship deployments shake ups due to the virus. Ships that were supposed to be here now there...just my opinion thou.

If I remember, the Anthem still has to do its maintence this spring, It has to be dry docked for inspection 2xs every 5 yra, This is year 5 and  I think it was supposed to be done April 25, don know if it can sail without the dry dock. We have a Nov 29th 8 day Perfect day cruise.

Any update on new ship placement with the delay of Terminal 3?  Allure was to home port in Galveston late 2021, but how can that happen with the Terminal 3 delay?  Have reservations on an Allure cruise in Mar 2022, but that wouldn't hold together either.    Also rumor that Athem could come to Galveston and use Terminal 2 with some modifications.  

Okay I just did a fake booking for Galveston through out the entire yr of 2021.  No Anthem, but Adventure and Allure when it comes to ships that start with the letter A.

I just can't see that Anthem will sail out of TX. in 2021.

If you pick Anthem as your ship it is not in TX., at least not for Summer 2021 since it appears on fake booking for her out of Liberty.  

Granted it is a fake booking, but that is a lot of fixing for customers if they book and RCL moves her to TX.  It is not like Moving her  from Miami to FLL.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, twangster said:

I am so in love with the Anthem, I really hope they bring it to Galveston.  They might as well.  NJ isn't going to do anything with it before the turn of the year.  

Crossing my fingers and toes!  

Just called the Port Authority in NY/NJ.  CDC No Sail in effect till 7/24, and can be lifted at anytime, as we all seem to have figured out. Very nice woman looked at all the sailings for the Anthem listed for 2020/2021,  Anthem is still listed for all it´s original sailings,  no changes of ships through 2021. Though that doesn´t mean a lot, as RCCI can change anytime. The port is open now, for all cargo, No cruise ships of anything over 250 passengers. She told me they have guide lines for all persons on ships now, she thought the guide lines were very similar to what they were in 2015 , Ebola. Basiclly , health screening questions, thought they probably added temperature checks. 

I personally don't see any cruising out of West coast and Northern East coast until Fall at the earliest. I think royal will take the same approach as Carnival with one exception.... I see massive ship deployment shake-ups very possible as the president of RCCL said they will be taking baby steps to restart the company. That is why I see Anthem moving to Galveston asap....If your Royal you need those newer ships sailing ASAP! This one may be a stretch, but another option RCCL could be considering is to bring Oasis to Galveston at limited capacity which will most likely be mandated by the CDC anyway. This would give the port time to ease into the increased capacity and deal with traffic issues. This would be based on if terminal 2 can take an Oasis class ship...which based on the concept art it can. 

I agree Chadster.

@Texas cruiser  Anthem is Quantum class not Oasis.

RCL is booking Anthem through 2021 out of Bayonne.  If you do a fake booking you will see they are pretty full right now for a Dec 2021 sailing.

Will it eventually go to Galveston? Maybe, probably, but I doubt it will happen before 2022.

As far as the North East I see it happening at the get go, but with limited ships.

Anthem, Adventure, Oasis and LadyG can all sail out and hit Coco Cay, Labadee, Miami, FLL, etc. for southern routes.  Texas is limited.  

OBTW, remember RCL, unlike NCL sails out of NJ, not NY!

I"m in the industry...so I know what ships are what class. Most likely what I think may happen is all Oasis class ship will move to Florida for the foreseeable future. What I am saying regarding Galveston is that terminal 2 in Galveston can already house an Oasis Class ship in theory based unless the concept art for the terminal 2 revamp is wrong....If royal decided to bring an Oasis class to Galveston this would be a good time, because the CDC most likely limit the number of passengers which would help the port ease into passenger increase. I think it is very possible for ships not to sail full until 2021.

16 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

I agree Chadster.

@Texas cruiser  Anthem is Quantum class not Oasis.

RCL is booking Anthem through 2021 out of Bayonne.  If you do a fake booking you will see they are pretty full right now for a Dec 2021 sailing.

Will it eventually go to Galveston? Maybe, probably, but I doubt it will happen before 2022.

As far as the North East I see it happening at the get go, but with limited ships.

Anthem, Adventure, Oasis and LadyG can all sail out and hit Coco Cay, Labadee, Miami, FLL, etc. for southern routes.  Texas is limited.  

OBTW, remember RCL, unlike NCL sails out of NJ, not NY!

Things will look as normal on the website and the call centers until final decisions are made....Plus not saying this will happen...just saying don't be surprised if it does. 

The Norht East opening at roll out....Yeah Good Luck With That....It will be one of the last ports to open. I am hearing chatter that it could be January 2021 before sailing resume there. Why would RCCL risk contaminating some of their newest ships in the fleet....That makes no sense at all. You have to look at from a marketing stand point. Image if Anthem or Oasis were to be come infected and constantly on the evening nation news.... It would be a PR nightmare! You don't want to take a chance on tarnishing the best ship classes in the fleet. Not to mention the extreme cost to disinfect ships of those sizes....

1 minute ago, Pima1988 said:

@Texas cruiser  Anthem is not an Oasis class, it is a Quantum class.  

Reread my post....Where did I say that Anthem is an Oasis class ship class?

17 hours ago, Chadster said:

So in your scenario, which ships will be moved and prepped to sail from Cape Liberty if they move Anthem? This is the part of the whole theoretical exercise I don't get.

One of the smaller class ships at first..... Adventure Of The Seas. What's not to get....Ships move all the time. 

1 minute ago, Texas cruiser said:

Why would RCCL risk contaminating some of their newest ships in the fleet....That makes no sense at all. You have to look at from a marketing stand point. Image if Anthem or Oasis were to be come infected and constantly on the evening nation news.... It would be a PR nightmare! You don't want to take a chance on tarnishing the best ship classes in the fleet. Not to mention the extreme cost to disinfect ships of those sizes..

I am guessing you missed what the CEO, Michael Bayley stated yesterday.

To summarize.  Best ships, best itineraries, and best destinations. 

• He went onto say he thinks Coco Cay will be one of the 1st to roll out.  NJ can and does sail there all of the time.  I have done it multiple times, albeit, you are probably looking at a 5 night sail compared to the 3 -4 night out of Miami.
  •  He also stated that he believed it would be the Oasis class will be rolled out 1st since from a density aspect, due to more balconies, more dining options, more pools, plus the neighborhoods (Central Park and Boardwalk) it is more feasible.  Want to guess the port Oasis is located for this season?  Not TX.  Not FL.  NJ?  Ding Ding Ding!.  

12 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

I am guessing you missed what the CEO, Michael Bayley stated yesterday.

To summarize.  Best ships, best itineraries, and best destinations. 

• He went onto say he thinks Coco Cay will be one of the 1st to roll out.  NJ can and does sail there all of the time.  I have done it multiple times, albeit, you are probably looking at a 5 night sail compared to the 3 -4 night out of Miami.
  •  He also stated that he believed it would be the Oasis class will be rolled out 1st since from a density aspect, due to more balconies, more dining options, more pools, plus the neighborhoods (Central Park and Boardwalk) it is more feasible.  Want to guess the port Oasis is located for this season?  Not TX.  Not FL.  NJ?  Ding Ding Ding!.  

Also...you do realize when he says Oasis Class....He means the fleet not the ship (Oasis/Allure/Harmony/Symphony)....That is why I see RCCL moving the entire Oasis Class fleet at least in the short term to Florida....FYI. I saw it and last I checked NJ and NY area are little down the list of cruise ports in the US...1 2 and 3 being Florida and which port is 4th...oh that right...it's Galveston, TX. Which is why Carnival is opening in those states first...