Out of pocket snacks on UDP

mrp4352

Hi all!

I've tried to confirm this, but I"m not asking search the right way...  If I purchase the unlimited dining package for my anthem cruise, does the $35 a la carte credit cover things like the upcharge desserts at La Patisserie?

Thanks!!

mp

36 minutes ago, mrp4352 said:

Hi all!

I've tried to confirm this, but I"m not asking search the right way...  If I purchase the unlimited dining package for my anthem cruise, does the $35 a la carte credit cover things like the upcharge desserts at La Patisserie?

Thanks!!

mp

Unfortunately, no.  The only way to get "free" desserts at La Patisserie is to be in Star Class.  The UDP also does not cover upcharge items in the specialty restaurants such as Maine lobster or aged steaks.  It covers just the standard menus in the specialty restaurants.

Thanks! I thought that might be the case, but couldn't find anything that said so clearly.  hmmm.. back to the pros/cons list for us. That was the point that bumped us over from the 3-night package to the unlimited financially. 

I appreciate the info!

7 minutes ago, mrp4352 said:

Thanks! I thought that might be the case, but couldn't find anything that said so clearly.  hmmm.. back to the pros/cons list for us. That was the point that bumped us over from the 3-night package to the unlimited financially. 

I appreciate the info!

You're welcome.  Sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for.  

Remember that you also get specialty lunches whenever the restaurant(s) are open, which includes at least 1 restaurant on embarkation day (most ships).

2 minutes ago, mrp4352 said:

Ours isn't quite that low - we're on the Anthem Oct '21 and got it for $199 - but when you figure it's an 8-night cruise it's less than $25/day!

That's actually still a very good price.  Last year the Anthem 8 day was $229 on both of the cruises we were on.

Just a little bit of secret intel on the lunches.  While usually the specialty restaurants are closed while in port, SOMEtimes, they will be open.  For instance, when we were at Coco Cay last year, we happened to pass by Izumi and it was open !  Nothing in the Compass about it being open, but there it was.  Sometimes they will just open for lunch.  Not all the time and there's no way to predict.  You just have to pass by and see. The same thing happened when we were on NAV last year.

A real nice benefit to us on the Anthem, since it was the last cruise before the shutdown, was that the specialty restaurants were not crowded at all for lunch.  And as always, less congested than My Time dining during the evenings.  So, this helps going forward into the world of the new normal to feel a bit safer.

But, I must say - as much as we loved everything about the UDP, we feel that the 3N-DP is better for us.  The UDP is just way to much food and we just can't say no.  We went every time it was open except for one night where we dined at the Solarium Bistro.  We like going to SB for dinner at least once per cruise.  Also Ceil and our friends like trying all of the restaurants on board, and I can't help but recalculating the UDP cost per usage to see if I am getting my moneys worth.

4 minutes ago, YOLO said:

But, I must say - as much as we loved everything about the UDP, we feel that the 3N-DP is better for us.  The UDP is just way to much food and we just can't say no.  

We talked about this and I have been threatened with bodily harm if my Mom doesn't get to eat in the buffet (in whatever form it's taking in the new world) at least 3 times.: ? I like the Solarium Bistro, too - so we'll make sure we enjoy that a meal or two.  However, we weren't thrilled with the MDR, so having this plan will be a great option for us!

Our UDP pricing for New Years' sailing is $154 for seven nights on Adventure OS. Since it has just three specialty along with a presumable surcharge for NYE at a specialty restaurant, we are going to go a la carte. That is, two nights at Izumi (make free rezi and pay a la carte) and then the NYE at Giovanni's. The $79 three night specialty doesn't even make sense for this sailing.

• 2 weeks later...