Royal Caribbean Announces Major Crew Repatriation Plan

It's hard to imagine they're still trying to repatriate crew (some into late May and early June), yet actually truly believe they will be sailing on June 12. ?

http://crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-announces-major-crew-repatriation-plan?fbclid=IwAR25gXTFuJyoh7pIf0tTCQjuBdyYpqC_4lxzw8gJOeExrFAxJEeFHCEM8kg

14 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It's hard to imagine they're still trying to repatriate crew (some into late May and early June), yet actually truly believe they will be sailing on June 12. ?

http://crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-announces-major-crew-repatriation-plan?fbclid=IwAR25gXTFuJyoh7pIf0tTCQjuBdyYpqC_4lxzw8gJOeExrFAxJEeFHCEM8kg

This makes me think that there are troubled waters ahead for RCCL.

33 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Carnival is in the same process.  I just feel like they are really planning on not having passengers for a while yet (which is really not surprising, they just aren't ready to actually say it.)

There’s a lot to sort out with crew,  illnesses, vacations and the unexpected suspension of sailings. There may be crew members who are apprehensive to resume for their health also.  It’s not just RCCL calling the shots.  The CDC called the No Sail Order and It probably will take a bit more time before cruise lines are cleared to sail.  ?

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Notice they don't say Symphony, Navigator, Mariner, or Indy will be taking crew home.. My theory and others believe that those are the ships that will sail first.. Which makes sense because all leave from Florida... My prediction is Royal will be able to have some ships sail starting July 24 the day the CDC no sail order is lifted.. Navigator and Mariner can leave first on the 24.. Symphony can leave on the 25th and so can Indy... I am sure Harmony would also be in the mix and leave on the 26.. Just a prediction but that's what I think.. 

9 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Seems a strange decision to send 3 ships to the UK, none of which are due to be home ported in the UK, and to send Anthem, which is due to be in Southampton to India, can't see many sailings happening this summer

My wonder isn’t that cruising will start sometime this summer or early fall, it’s more the thinking of which countries will let you in for travel purposes and will employers require a 14 day quarantine upon your return. I think there is  going to be some major changes to itineraries as this starts back up depending on which countries will accept guests. I think Coco Caye is going to get a lot of guests and visits but it can only handle so many ships per day. 

Think of the mainstays of ports visited - Western  Cruises - Cozumel, Mexico, Falmouth Jamaica, Labadee Haiti, and Easterns of St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Kitts...All different countries with their own Government to work with. They need the travel money so it will be interesting to see the balance between their people and travel money. 

Yeah, that doesn't look good. Royal is obviously not planning on cruising anytime soon based on that.

I  agree with @AGSLC5…..seems like the most logical and economically viable option for Royal to try and start up again once they are allowed....I am still having doubts its going to be June though...

14 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Yeah, that doesn't look good. Royal is obviously not planning on cruising anytime soon based on that.

I  agree with @AGSLC5…..seems like the most logical and economically viable option for Royal to try and start up again once they are allowed....I am still having doubts its going to be June though...

I don't think June.. I think July 24 which is when the CDC order is over.. 

"European, Canadian and all other nationalities will be transferred to Freedom, Empress and Majesty. All three ships will cross the Atlantic Ocean and sail to Southampton where charter flights will be organized for crew repatriation."

So that make sense , all the Canadian crew will sail to Southampton (14 days sail)  to take a flight back to Canada ?

Yeah....I didn't mean to say you thought June...I was saying I dont think Royal will be sailing June 12 like they say now..AND I agree with your start up thought process

Even July could be a stretch though.....it will take awhile to get things going....its not just about the ships sailing..its about flights and hotels and places to eat.....but sailings out of Florida of mostly Florida residents would be a good place to start for sure....

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

"European, Canadian and all other nationalities will be transferred to Freedom, Empress and Majesty. All three ships will cross the Atlantic Ocean and sail to Southampton where charter flights will be organized for crew repatriation."

So that make sense , all the Canadian crew will sail to Southampton (14 days sail)  to take a flight back to Canada ?

Defn weird..but who knows what's going on behind the scene's...border to Canada is closed....and not sure about flights here to they may have no option but to take advantage of whatever Royal as been able to work out...even if it doesn't make much sense.

35 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I noticed the same thing.  Seems they are making it a longer trip than necessary.  The unstated, but implied here, is that they are not allowing any disembarkations in the US and no flights on US domestic airlines.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I noticed the same thing.  Seems they are making it a longer trip than necessary.  The unstated, but implied here, is that they are not allowing any disembarkations in the US and no flights on US domestic airlines.

That's what I was wondering.  When will round-trip cruises out of the US allow passengers to disembark without the need for quarantine.  That could make all the difference for the US cruise industry.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It might make sense but it contradicts all the one that will fly from Miami ...

"Liberty of the Seas will stay near Maiam, from here Filipino crew will be repatriated by charter flights statring May 18"

"Enchantment will sail to Miami for a charter flights on May 15, returning the crew to Jakarta and Denpasar."

It seems that we are missing something here but the main point is still the same , no cruise soon ? 

Canadians have to go to the UK to get flights home.  As per the rules of the CDC Royal would have to arrange private planes to get the Canadian crew home.  It was cheaper to sail them to the UK and put them on a direct flight to Canada. No crew arriving in the US can use commercial flights to make their way home.  That is why all the cruise lines are using ships to take then crews to countries where the governments are letting the cruise lines use commercial flights.

From CDC:

1. The cruise ship operator must transport those disembarking directly to non-commercial transportation, which includes industry-chartered private transport, industry-chartered private flights, or personal vehicles (no rental cars, taxis, or ride-share services). Cruise line operators must further guarantee noncommercial transportation to their respective homes or new duty stations consistent with all applicable laws and guidance. Those include, but are not limited to, national, federal, state, and local public-health guidance as well as state and local stay-at-home orders.

the crew going home will be the ones who are out of contract and have been stuck on ship since cruises were cancelled and ports wouldn't let them in.

RC are now following what other cruiselines have already done, that being use their own ships to either get crew home or to a location where they can use charter flights to fly them home.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:21 PM, princevaliantus said:

I hope not!!! But I have young man why is still on ship waiting to go home the end of this month and rest of the crew . Logically if they are all going home how they will operate cruising in June? I think the earliest they will resume cruising is late August or September?

1 hour ago, Cile said:

I hope not!!! But I have young man why is still on ship waiting to go home the end of this month and rest of the crew . Logically if they are all going home how they will operate cruising in June? I think the earliest they will resume cruising is late August or September?

I agree considering now that NCL might be going belly up. NCL had a mad rush of people calling to cancel their cruises right after they annonced they might be filing bankruptcy.  What do you think is going to happen if you do something like that???? DUH!!!

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:06 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Its an incredible logistical undertaking.   I'm amazed at how complex cruise lines HR departments must be.

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

And then it turns out the problem all along was mostly that their own countries kept turning them away.

Makes you wonder, under the new circumstances, if the lines might not elect to hire folks from countries that cannot/will not repatriate their own citizens?   Its a risk they have no power to mitigate.

1 minute ago, cruisellama said:

Makes you wonder, under the new circumstances, if the lines might not elect to hire folks from countries that cannot/will not repatriate their own citizens?   Its a risk they have no power to mitigate.

I'm not sure the cruise lines have the luxury to look past where more than half of the crew source from.  Hopefully these countries learned a lesson.