Cruise with Confidence - Ethics question

I'm booked on a cruise that may or may not end up happening because it is so close to the 'restart' date.  We are supposed to depart Cape Liberty in late June.  For purposes of this discussion lets assume the cruise is happening.  

We booked a Central Park Balcony for ~2700 and an ocean view balcony for ~3000.  Currently on the website the two rooms are going for ~1500 / ~1600.

Given that we are past final payment date can I have my agent just cancel and rebook?  I know the cruise with confidence program will allow me to cancel but it seems shady to cancel only to rebook the same sailing at a lower rate knowing I could not do that in a business as usual situation.

Larry

3 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

I'm booked on a cruise that may or may not end up happening because it is so close to the 'restart' date.  We are supposed to depart Cape Liberty in late June.  For purposes of this discussion lets assume the cruise is happening.  

We booked a Central Park Balcony for ~2700 and an ocean view balcony for ~3000.  Currently on the website the two rooms are going for ~1500 / ~1600.

Given that we are past final payment date can I have my agent just cancel and rebook?  I know the cruise with confidence program will allow me to cancel but it seems shady to cancel only to rebook the same sailing at a lower rate knowing I could not do that in a business as usual situation.

Larry

I don't think there is anything wrong with having your agent ask the question.  But I don't know that Royal would allow re-booking after you have exercised your option to cancel.  Again, asking a question is certainly legitimate, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Larry Muster said:

Larry

You can have your cruise repriced, even though it is after final payment BUT you will be assessed whatever cancellation fee Is applicable.  It may or may not save you money to pay the cancellation fee and apply the new, lower fare.  I don’t have the cancellation schedule handy but I suspect that it is somewhere between 50-75% of your fare.

I do have another idea, if it’s something that you can swing, financially. If you book brand new reservations using the new fares and simply cancel the old ones under Cruise With Confidence, you would eventually get your money back for the original in the form of an FCC, but it would take many, many weeks...so you would essentially be investing 1 1/2 times the cost of your cruise until you get the reimbursement.   Then there is the very REAL likelihood that this cruise will end up being cancelled anyway, so now your sitting with a great deal of $$ tied up for an extended period of time and still no cruise.  It’s a thought...

Booking new reservations and paying in full makes a lot of sense.  I do have a little anxiety over violating the spirit of the policy.

As someone else mentioned since I am really cancelling just to rebook they could charge me a hefty cancel fee.

I think I’m going to send this to my agent and see what they can work out for me.  Thanks for helping me brainstorm.

LARRY

12 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Just be prepared to become a suite snob! 

Thanks to great prices on upgrades, I managed to work my way up from an interior to a junior suite on a sailing this summer...

...which, of course, became a casualty of the cancellations. ? Now I'm bound and determined to find my way back to the suite life one day!

2 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Thanks to great prices on upgrades, I managed to work my way up from an interior to a junior suite on a sailing this summer...

...which, of course, became a casualty of the cancellations. ? Now I'm bound and determined to find my way back to the suite life one day!

It's hard to go back, at least it is for me. ?

18 hours ago, Chadster said:

I’m with you there - I worked my way up from a Junior Suite on a cruise,  that I had to cancel due to the flu, and moved the cruise to December,  then moved to a Grand Suite, and under the recent sale, moved to a Crown Loft Suite for not too much additional money.  Crazy but that’s what occurred. 

21 hours ago, Larry Muster said:

Booking new reservations and paying in full makes a lot of sense.  I do have a little anxiety over violating the spirit of the policy.

As someone else mentioned since I am really cancelling just to rebook they could charge me a hefty cancel fee.

I think I’m going to send this to my agent and see what they can work out for me.  Thanks for helping me brainstorm.

LARRY

I just read CCL will resume some NA sailings (Miami , Canaveral and Galveston) August 1st. It’s safe to assume RC wouldn’t resume a single day before that so if news is legit unfortunately it doesn’t look good for late June at all. 

30 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I just read CCL will resume some NA sailings (Miami , Canaveral and Galveston) August 1st. It’s safe to assume RC wouldn’t resume a single day before that so if news is legit unfortunately it doesn’t look good for late June at all. 

Hopefully RC make an announcement very soon about June/July cruises so people know whats happening.

1 hour ago, Larry Muster said:

My agent jumped on this for me.  He’s getting me FCC for the rooms and rebooking now at the reduced price. I feel guilty about having him do all this work knowing it looks like the sailing may ultimately be cancelled.

And when you get 125% FCC on the rebooked price for the cruise being cancelled, you'll have enough to really go big!