Update from Royal on FCC and Refunds

On 5/1/2020 at 1:29 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@Sweetpolly To answer your question. Many people on this board are avid cruisers, often loyal to royal. They have 5 to a million other cruises on deck so taking the FCC works in their favor big time. They are getting an extra 25% of what they paid, which can be used to pay the balance on other cruises.

I had a cruise scheduled on CCL, insane deal of a grand ocean suite, 4 days only $1085 for 2 people. I took the refund because I don't like Carnival and was only cursing because it was part of a birthday group deal.

Thanks, Ampur85, and I get the 125%. Still, 125% is not a fair compensation if you got the cruise on a BOGO. Are BOGOs that common on Royal? I guess you could book a cheaper and shorter cruise and come out ahead. Just like the Carnival cruise you mentioned, it was an insane deal. I don't know how you'd ever win by taking the FCC.

Hearing about how some later cruisers, May and June itineraries, have gotten their refunds faster has gotten me to thinking. That there is some logic to the returns. Think about it... how many of the March and April cruises were 30days or less from cruising when they had to cancel? That means that all vendors, operators, and suppliers have been paid. RCCI now has to get those funds back as well as do the refunds. May and June were still far enough out that they would have less money tied up.

@Sweetpolly It is actually more than fair because RCCI runs a lot of the same promotions that work out well. I have not seen an actual bogo, as buy one fare and get one free. But they will do 60% of second guest which is the same as 30% of both guest., etc. Many people were able to apply the FCC from one cruise to 2 or more. Right now they aren't running some of the greatest promotions but like I said if you have another cruise already scheduled, its a no brainier to take the FCC and pay that off.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, Schoonertwo said:

The same thing has just happened to me and MY WIFE! Although my understanding is that the excess FCC on my account can be retained for use on yet another cruise, my wife's FCC won't cover half (her share) of the cost of the cruise we're booking, so we'll have to shell out $$. The 125% FCC offer was meant to give us "a little extra", not make us pay more.

My TA was able to convince Royal of the stupidity and they allowed me to apply my FCC balance to "her"balance due

11 hours ago, Wnuk said:

We did got through our TA for the cruise cancellation, maybe that had something to do with their quick refund.

Someone on my sailing also received their refund very quickly after the April cancellation announcement.  She also canceled via her travel agent. I filled out that online form and received no confirmation that they even received it. It seems to me that the least they could do is send a confirmation.

Good Morning to another week of waiting for my refund from my 3/15 and 3/22 cruise.  I may have made this opinion or suggestion before but I need to vent decompress a little. 

If consumers are waiting for refunds from the 1st round of cancellations, Royal should waive any required deposit for a cruise that would need one.  They know how much money they owe us so let them give a little.  Or if a sailing requires full payment reduce the amount they owe us!  Never gonna happen but hey, I can dream!

Just thought of another way they could give us a little.  If we book a cruise that requires full payment and the price goes down, they should honor this new price!

Really, what have they done other then give excuses about the system and back log!  Heck, I still haven't received the letter of apology, and I know they have all the necessary correct information to communicate with me. 

On 5/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, KyleW2 said:

Just to confirm I’m reading this right, it is taking 45 business days for FCC from the first round of cancellations?

They hope that it will not take that long, but they are telling anyone in round 2 and 3 that it could take up to 45 days.  I added the business days in my post as for all the years I have been a Travel Planner, they always tell us in the call center that refunds take 7 to 10 business days.... or up to 2 billing cycles (this was before all of this)  So when I am told a day by a company I assume no one is processing on the weekends.  They might be now, but I have yet to see a HUGE jump in FCCS on a Monday when I come in.   Also, many banks hold transactions over the weekends as well until weekdays.  That is why I said it the way I did.

16 hours ago, luv2sail said:

Someone on my sailing also received their refund very quickly after the April cancellation announcement.  She also canceled via her travel agent. I filled out that online form and received no confirmation that they even received it. It seems to me that the least they could do is send a confirmation.

You might want to try to fill out that form again.  They have had issues with the links, so it cant hurt to do it again.  Especially since you didn't get a confirmation.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:10 AM, ebeck88 said:

If we are waiting on taxes refund and refund of cruise planner should I ask for an update from travel agent or RC directly?

I called RC about  my refund that is way overdue.  After  speaking  to an RC rep. about  my situation,  I was advised  to have my travel agent call them. My travel  agent  was able to get things resolved with  one call.

@AnnetteJackson and @Matt I explained on another thread but this is a good to know. Maybe, can you explain the process? I cancelled about 6 items on my cruise planner tethered to my November 2020 sailing on the Odyssey due to much better sale pricing. 5 items were refunded outside of a week with just one item a Chops lunch (I purchased three) so 21.99 still outstanding, I waited thinking maybe the person finished their shift and it would appear, for a week more it did not. So I called. Here is where it gets crazy scary,

The representative told me everything was processed the computer showed this and to call my bank, I was kind and pressed firmly but calmly stated my bank processed everything it received; so she was kind and checked again. 

Apparently while the computer reflected the refund processed she went INTO the system and found my refund had NOT completed the process and she had to get a supervisor.  Honestly I felt a mixture of vindication, wow and weird fighting for 21.99 while others are fighting for so much more but I refuse to just give my money away. 

So discussing and realizing @WAAAYTOOO brought up a great point, can this happen again to someone else? What if it is a sailng refund? So the concern I have is how can something show processed when it is not?  I hope they can get this worked out because this is extra stress,and frustration no one needs.  FYI they processed the amount again and said I would have it in a week. Stay safe and healthy all! Hope this helps and moreover hope this never occurs again. Shout out to my rep from RCCL she was an angel. Thank goodness I was blessed with a great one!

Good Morning,

With mixed emotions, I can say that today I received my refunds related to my cxl'd cruise on 3/15.  The taxes were easy to tie back but the other amount I am not sure about!  Are the taxes and port charges split?

On 5/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, Elirugby06 said:

We received our refund on Wednesday (so less than 30 calendar or business days),  but only for 86% of what we paid.

The cruise (03/15) was cancelled and I submitted the refund form on 03/19

April 4: Received email of "Cruise Planner Cancellation Summary"

April 24: Nothing was received. Called and was told the refund process started on April 4, so the refund was expected to be done by May 4.

April 27: Received the refund on the CC. But, only 89% of what I paid. The remaining amount does NOT match the amount of any tax/fees or purchasing. Called. The CSR checked and confirmed it's not full refund, but she did not know the reason. Waited for around 15 minutes, then she told me a new refund request (for the remaining amount) was submitted, and the waiting time is another 30-45 days.

9 minutes ago, aberfoylespring said:

April 24: Nothing was received. Called and was told the refund process started on April 4, so the refund was expected to be done by May 4.

April 27: Received the refund on the CC. But, only 89% of what I paid. The remaining amount does NOT match the amount of any tax/fees or purchasing. Called. The CSR checked and confirmed it's not full refund, but she did not know the reason. Waited for around 15 minutes, then she told me a new refund request (for the remaining amount) was submitted, and the waiting time is another 30-45 days.

Very odd, isn't it?  It almost feels like they're throwing a dart at the board and refunding whatever percentage it lands on.  There has to be some reason for the odd refund amounts, but I can't imagine what it could be.

Just curious,  what type of room did you have booked?   We were in a crown loft suite.  

29 minutes ago, Elirugby06 said:

Very odd, isn't it?  It almost feels like they're throwing a dart at the board and refunding whatever percentage it lands on.  There has to be some reason for the odd refund amounts, but I can't imagine what it could be.

Just curious,  what type of room did you have booked?   We were in a crown loft suite.  

Regular Balcony room

Royal has always refunded cruise planner purchases in their normal amounts but for whatever reason when I have cancelled refundable bookings the deposit refunds come in various smaller amounts that total the amount of refund expected.  

It may have to do with merchant fees that credit card companies charge and by refunding multiple smaller amounts perhaps they get a break on their credit card merchant fees.  

I wanted to post an update. I just received my cruise refund today. I received an email from RC yesterday advising that they had processed my refund and I verified it today on my CC account. It was for the exact amount I had calculated. So, for me, RC proactively canceled my cruise of April 3 on March 13, promptly refunded my cruise planner monies and then processed my cruise refund 38 BUSINESS DAYS after I requested it. They never sent an apology, but my full purchase price for all monies paid have been refunded down the penny. 

Regards, 

Polly

I’ve been waiting for my taxes, etc defund. I noticed just now that RCCL credited a card that I didn’t make the payment of the cruise on? Check your other cards folks. Still No FCC email yet . I guess they still got a week( according to their email ) I’m ready for a cruise. Let’s get out there !! 

I do not understand RCL.

Refund is a key in confidence building , its should be first priority , company that gives prompt refund is sending a firm message that they are here to stay and not playing any games.

I consider myself as loyal to royal (well I only cruise with Royal and hope to continue to cruise with them soon) but if a month ago  I thought I am going to take advantage on the FCC because its a good deal and because yes I thought leaving the money with RCI is my small contribute , now , with all the refund delays  I  start thinking to take the money back to be on the safe side (even if I will need to wait for it).

14 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not understand RCL.

Refund is a key in confidence building , its should be first priority , company that gives prompt refund is ending a firm message that they are here to stay and not playing any games.

I consider myself as loyal to royal (well I only cruise with Royal and hope to continue to cruise with them soon) but if a month ago  I thought I am going to take advantage on the FCC because its a good deal and because yest I thought leaving the money with RCI is my small contribute , now , with all the refund delays  I  start thinking to take the money back to be on the safe side (even if I will need to wait for it).

I hear Ya!

On 5/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, jticarruthers said:

My TA was able to convince Royal of the stupidity and they allowed me to apply my FCC balance to "her"balance due

A friend who booked directly with RCL on this same cruise spoke with them and was able to do the same. I booked through an online travel agent, but I'm hoping to have the same outcome.

Has anyone received their 125% FCC and was extremely shocked by the low value? How is it that we received only 50% of the original booking price that I paid in full? I know the taxes and port fees come out (where do they go? we just lose that?) but I was expecting to get back at least 100% of what I had paid in FCC between the two of us. $600 won't pay for 1/3 of our replacement cruise. ?

8 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Has anyone received their 125% FCC and was extremely shocked by the low value? How is it that we received only 50% of the original booking price that I paid in full? I know the taxes and port fees come out (where do they go? we just lose that?) but I was expecting to get back at least 100% of what I had paid in FCC between the two of us. $600 won't pay for 1/3 of our replacement cruise. ?

Taxes and port fees are supposed to be refunded to your credit card.   That being said, I'm still waiting for mine.  My cruise was in the first wave of cancellations (early April). 

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have always been vexed by the values for FCCs.  I don’t see how it’s possible for Royal to justify anything less than 100% - or 125% - depending on what has been promised, but they always surprise me with something less than I expected. I hope they will recalculate those who have received less than they expected but I have been disappointed before.

2 hours ago, sleepy425 said:

3 of us were booked in a Suite Guarantee. Total of the cruise was $1950, about $250 of that was port fees and taxes (which were refunded to a credit card). Yesterday we each got $300 FCC. That’s not even half of what we are owed?

yes! our cruise was $1279 total and we both received $302 and no refunded taxes or port fees as of now. I was hoping for at LEAST $1000 FCC for what we paid. Guess I should be calling since I deserve the taxes and port fees at least!! 

Well, this is interesting, i got this email today and it's the only thing that we've received so far from RCL....no FCC certificate to be see or had via any emails...no deposits for the port fees & taxes have been deposited to our accounts.

I guess this is just a blanket email that is being sent out?

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.36.32 AM.png

I have never received a single, solitary correspondence from Royal about my 11 May cancellation (we requested 125% FCC for everything).  I think Michelle has gotten something, but I have not.  Being patient b/c I don't expect my cruise to even be officially "cancelled" until 18 May, which is the date when the 11 May cruise would have terminated.  It's such a shame to see so much chaos coming out of all of this.  It's bad enough that all of our cruises have been cancelled, but for them to have f'ed up these refunds and credits SO badly is just unsat.  

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It's bad enough that all of our cruises have been cancelled, but for them to have f'ed up these refunds and credits SO badly is just unsat.  

It makes me reluctant to cancel any cruise. I still enjoy planning and possibly going on a future cruise.  However, whether I cancel or Royal cancels,  the process of a FCC and/or refund is just dreadful.  I can't say "cruise with confidence" is doing what was intended because I'm not feeling it.

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

It makes me reluctant to cancel any cruise. I still enjoy planning and possibly going on a future cruise.  However, whether I cancel or Royal cancels,  the process of a FCC and/or refund is just dreadful.

Me too!  We are still debating doing the L&S; however, I am cautiously leaning on keeping it and if RCI cancels then we get the FCC 125% for everything.  It has my mind saying "Should we or Shouldn't we" over and over...Oh boy!  However, the FCC is a huge headache so far for everyone that has/is going thru the process.  I guess I will just have to go on my gut when the time comes to decide before our final payment on July 10th if we do the L&S or finish paying and possibly still do the L&S, or just ride it out. 

This stress doesn't help my "gray showing" ? either since we still don't have our hair salons opened up yet! 

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

Me too!  We are still debating doing the L&S; however, I am cautiously leaning on keeping it and if RCI cancels then we get the FCC 125% for everything.  It has my mind saying "Should we or Shouldn't we" over and over...Oh boy!  However, the FCC is a huge headache so far for everyone that has/is going thru the process.  I guess I will just have to go on my gut when the time comes to decide before our final payment on July 10th if we do the L&S or finish paying and possibly still do the L&S, or just ride it out. 

This stress doesn't help my "gray showing" ? either since we still don't have our hair salons opened up yet! 

I was tempted by a L&S but I would still have endure the process of my cruise planner purchases being refunded.  

My hair is totally gray but I prefer to think of it as "sun bleached."  I don't have that much hair to worry about so no need for a salon.  The stress may cause me to lose more hair though. ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 10:20 AM, aberfoylespring said:

UPDATE

May 28: Received the remaining amount. 30 days after last call (April 27). Full refund is completed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, Elirugby06 said:

I've been lurking on this board since December,  after our family decided to take our 1st cruise.  But something similar happened to me so I created a profile to share my experience so far.  1st post! 

We were scheduled for Harmony on March 22nd from Port Canaveral.  We got the cancellation email on March 15th (I think)  I responded the next day for the 100% refund.  Called a couple of weeks ago and they said my request was processed on April 6th and could take up to 30 days.  We received our refund on Wednesday (so less than 30 calendar or business days),  but only for 86% of what we paid.  So I called them and the rep I spoke to put me on hold for about 10 minutes, then came back and said the remaining refund had already been approved/processed and may take another 7-10 days to post.  He had no idea why it was split in 2 like that.   The balance was a random number (no combination of port fees/taxes, prepaid gratuities or passenger fares equaled the missing amount).  Don't know the rhyme or reason,  but glad to get back what we have so far and I'm sure we'll get the rest.  Good luck to you!

Update:

We recieved the rest of our refund on May 30th (it took until today to show up online on the credit card website).  Last call I made was on April 30th to inquire about the missing 14% of our refund.  So it was credited exactly 30 calendar days after I called.  A total of 62 calendar days after our cruise was set to end (March 29th).  Hope the more recent cancellation and refund requests have run more smoothly; just wanted to provide an update for anyone still waiting for a full refund.