Update from Royal on FCC and Refunds

I was on a call today and we were told that in reality it is taking them more like 45 business days on the first round to complete the cancellations and while they have put that out for the other two rounds, they hope that they can do those faster.  Royal is supposed to be sending an apology to all guests as well.

Not posting this for people to attack on it, or comment really... Just wanted to post it somewhere so people would see this and maybe ask for everyone to be understanding of those that are working on all of these cancellations.  The person that you call in at the call center is not the person that is working on the cancellations.  Your Travel Planner does not have a way to speed the process up.  This is a Pandemic that was not planned for and everyone that is left working is working hard to process these cancellations.

I hate how they do the FCC by person. Rolled forward a booked cruise from May to Sept.

The original cruise was a BOGO style so my name has big $ next to it, my buddy has small $.

I got a big FCC, he got a small FCC.

The new cruise is split evenly , so i cant use my full FCC and his FCC doesnt cover his half.

Stupid crap like this makes me just want a refund and deal with it later ....

So now the balance of my FCC has to go to another reservation and he has to pay out of pocket to make it work instead of saying "yep its a wash".

2 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I hate how they do the FCC by person. Rolled forward a booked cruise from May to Sept.

The original cruise was a BOGO style so my name has big $ next to it, my buddy has small $.

The new cruise is split evenly , so i cant use my full FCC and his FCC doesnt cover his half.

So now the balance of my FCC has to go to another reservation and he has to pay out of pocket to make it work instead of saying "yep its a wash".

Funny thing is.. in the beginning of all this they were trying to do this faster by getting the total for the room and then dividing by the people in the room and people complained.  This is one where I don't think they can win on this one.  Typically it is how it was split by person.

44 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Funny thing is.. in the beginning of all this they were trying to do this faster by getting the total for the room and then dividing by the people in the room and people complained.  This is one where I don't think they can win on this one.  Typically it is how it was split by person.

It would make things quicker, if they would go by those where it was paid for by one credit card or payment method, give that person the FCC then move on to those where it was spit payment method.

2 minutes ago, mworkman said:

It would make things quicker, if they would go by those where it was paid for by one credit card or payment method, give that person the FCC then move on to those where it was spit payment was made.

It would go faster if they had done it in date order too..... they did not even do entire ships at one time.  I hope they figure this out soon....

Hey... stay safe here in the Bragg!

4 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

It would go faster if they had done it in date order too..... they did not even do entire ships at one time.  I hope they figure this out soon....

Hey... stay safe here in the Bragg!

There’s no rhyme or reason how they’re processed. Someone in this group got their FCC for a cruise AFTER my date. That was a May cruise. There are people from March and April who still haven’t gotten anything. Screwy for sure. 

40 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I thought they were allowing FCC’s to be re-allocated among family members on the same cruise, traveling together. So for example, if there are two parents and a child in a stateroom and the parent’s have ‘extra’ credit, it may be allocated towards the child’s fare.

36 minutes ago, TheJones said:

I thought they were allowing FCC’s to be re-allocated among family members on the same cruise, traveling together. So for example, if there are two parents and a child in a stateroom and the parent’s have ‘extra’ credit, it may be allocated towards the child’s fare.

trust me no!!!!    I am out 1088.00 because I paid for two elderly family members to take their "final family trip"  (late 70's and 80's).  Now doctors say they will not allow them to travel and I have fcc's in their names!    No one included Richard Fain of Mr. Bayley's office has been willing to budge on this. 

8 minutes ago, shaydav19 said:

trust me no!!!!    I am out 1088.00 because I paid for two elderly family members to take their "final family trip"  (late 70's and 80's).  Now doctors say they will not allow them to travel and I have fcc's in their names!    No one included Richard Fain of Mr. Bayley's office has been willing to budge on this. 

I think if you wait on this, you could see them change that.  Never hurts to push it later when things have calmed down a little more.  At one point in this (I think around week 3) they were saying that those funds could be name changed but not refunded.

Just received this from RCCL

We were on the Radiance of the Seas 14th March 2020 cruise. Have 3 more cruises booked with Royal. We will continue to sail with them.

Dear Guest,

It’s no secret that the world is going through a difficult time. And while there are many changes going on around us, one that will never change is our commitment to remain transparent and as communicative, as possible.

As we went into our global suspension of sailings, we initially estimated that refunds would take 30 days. Unfortunately, with an unprecedented volume of refunds and credits, we are delayed. We’ve worked diligently to resolve most of the volume issues and are working around the clock to address the backlog to get you your refund, as quickly possible. Currently, some refunds are taking up to 45 days. Please know that each and every request is receiving the same level of care and dedication. And rest assured, your refund will be honored and it is coming – it’s just taking a little longer than expected and we’re very sorry about that.

We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. We’ll have an update for you by May 6th, unless we see that your refund has already been disbursed between now and then. Please be sure to check with your banking institution for an update if you don’t hear from us. Please stay safe!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

They are definitely going in an odd order. Already got back full refunds for 2 of our 3 cabins on a June 6th sailing.  I don’t think it’s even been 10 days since I filled out the forms.  While this was great after seeing it would be up to 45 days, they have only refunded my kids interiors. The JS we were in is still outstanding and was significantly more $. Again, it felt great to see some of it back already. 

My TA was able to get them to "reallocate" the FFC so that i could use the rest of mine to pay off the rest of the second guest rather than send in money ... where this is really going to get fun is if my buddy decides not to go (blah blah blah, my wife isnt sure about me going, blah blah blah) and i have to do a name change and take someone else (if the boat goes i'm going with it ... )

19 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

I was on a call today and we were told that in reality it is taking them more like 45 business days on the first round to complete the cancellations and while they have put that out for the other two rounds, they hope that they can do those faster. 

Still waiting on the front half of my Navigator b2b, but got a full refund to my CC last night for our 3 night sailing.  Wasn't a large amount as it was a cheap cruise, but it's progress and it only took Royal 14 days!  I utilized the online form and it was so easy.  Hoping to get my other sailing soon along with my cruise planner purchases, but at least in this instance Royal moved quickly and I'm not complaining!

19 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

I was on a call today and we were told that in reality it is taking them more like 45 business days on the first round to complete the cancellations and while they have put that out for the other two rounds, they hope that they can do those faster.  Royal is supposed to be sending an apology to all guests as well.

The original published "promise" for the first cancellations was "within 30 days" (NOT 30 business days) - approximately 4 weeks.

The new pronouncement is 45 BUSINESS days - approximately 9 weeks.

The time to get your refund has more than doubled from what was originally announced. The first information we received in the second wave also stated "within 30 days of cancellation" but is now changed as well. No wonder so many are up in arms about the process.

7 minutes ago, codyh21 said:

Still waiting on the front half of my Navigator b2b, but got a full refund to my CC last night for our 3 night sailing.  Wasn't a large amount as it was a cheap cruise, but it's progress and it only took Royal 14 days!  I utilized the online form and it was so easy.  Hoping to get my other sailing soon along with my cruise planner purchases, but at least in this instance Royal moved quickly and I'm not complaining!

Smaller dollar figure refunds = processed almost immediately. Anecdotally, most expensive refunds = delayed.

Heck, even the two cancellations requested for our group on the same cruise (submitted about 3 minutes apart) were processed in the system as cancellations over a week apart (the less expensive one first). No $$$ have made it back yet. Will be interesting to see how many days that takes from each being cancelled in the system.

16 hours ago, shaydav19 said:

Cant the FCC be converted to refund?  Saw a post in another thread about this...

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Smaller dollar figure refunds = processed almost immediately. Anecdotally, most expensive refunds = delayed.

Heck, even the two cancellations requested for our group on the same cruise (submitted about 3 minutes apart) were processed in the system as cancellations over a week apart (the less expensive one first). No $$$ have made it back yet. Will be interesting to see how many days that takes from each being cancelled in the system.

They have learned as they have been processing these and yes those done with the form are coming back sooner than the first ones because refunds can be done now and are not lost in all the other forms of cancellations.

Also, on the statement about business days.  That is my add in as that is what they tell us when we call in to cancel.  Most companies will tell you days based on business days.  While the call centers are open over the weekends, not all departments works those.

I get that this is frustrating and I am hoping that knowing some of the reasons why on the back end help calm everyone down a little.  This is just like the process for unemployment, applying for the small business loan, etc.  there are tons of people and no one was ready for this amount of traffic  - no one saw this coming.

20 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Not posting this for people to attack on it, or comment really... Just wanted to post it somewhere so people would see this and maybe ask for everyone to be understanding of those that are working on all of these cancellations.

I just have to comment that it was nice that you posted this.  I'm beginning to understand the monumental task it is.  For me, part of the problem was that refunds in the past always happened within a few days.  This probably caused an unrealistic expectation on my part.   I do understand how people feel and my patience was tested but it never reached the stage of being angry.  Patience is a virtue.  Easy for me to say because my final refund happened today.  It  just took awhile longer, that's all.

3 hours ago, shaydav19 said:

No it cannot and they will not!

If RCI cancelled your cruise they will will change your FCC into a refund as long as you apply by a certain date. 

• You may request a refund and you’re certificate will be deactivated. You must request your refund by:

◦ December 31, 2021 for sailings departing March 13th – May 11th, 2020, plus Alaska sailings departing May 12th – June 30th 2020, Empress of the Seas June 1st, 2020 & June 12th, 2020 sailings, and May 2020 Voyager of the Seas sailings (excluding May 25th, 2020 sailing).

◦ December 31, 2020 for sailing departing May 12 – June 11th, 2020.

This only applies to RCI cancelled cruises, not if you cancelled yourself.

Royal owns Celebrity and here is  the difference!  Our March 30th Celebrity cruise  from San Diego was cancelled around March 15th, and we still have not got the FFC or refunded taxes port fees.  Whereas our May 3rd Harmony sailing which also cancelled was to sail in two days FFC were received in full yesterday, go figure I guess.

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

Has anyone ever had a refund processed and the cruise fare went back to card used for the booking, but the fees go to a card you used on a previous cruise and never used to purchase anything for this cruise? 

Weird!

I have had $ show up on weird/old cards before ... my neighbour just got his refund for a cruise ... paid in full on one card, refund was split across 3 cards, 1 of which hasnt been active in years. 

On 4/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, Jill said:

There’s no rhyme or reason how they’re processed. Someone in this group got their FCC for a cruise AFTER my date. That was a May cruise. There are people from March and April who still haven’t gotten anything. Screwy for sure. 

Yeah i don't get why they wouldn't be processing things in the order they cancelled the cruises. My Cruise was first batch cancelled and i have only received FCC, but no refunds for purchases, upgrade Big i won, and Port Fees and taxes. A bit frustrating that i have received no refunds, but cruises cancelled after mine have. and soon it will be 2 months since my cruise didn't happen, not what Royal determines as the date they cancelled.

I understand the delay of refunds during these times. No issue there. I finally received a partial refund on both my March, 2020 Sydney, Australian 12 day B2B cruises. Sooooo confused.   Each cruise totaled 2508.76 of which taxes, fees and port charges came to $441.74. Refund was for $1358.76 for each. No other refunds listed separately. I did get refunded for shore excursions last month. After a looonnngg wait time was told by agent that he did not know and would refer to manager who was not in at the time. Any one else get a partial refund AND an explanation? Just wish they would give a breakdown on how they got to that figure and what else, if anything, would still be outstanding. Thanks for hearing my vent!!  Still love my RCL. 

I have cruised many times, but this was to be my first RCCL cruise. Because I got such a great deal when I booked, I chose the refund in lieu of a FCC.

Even before I officially cancelled my cruise, they proactively emailed me to advise the cruise was canceled and then very promptly began to refund all shore excursions and packages that I had purchased. I received all that money back, credited to the cards I used to purchase them, within a few days. 

It's been about 35 business days since I canceled and I have yet to receive the refund for the actual cruise cost, so I decided to call them today to check on it. My hold time was quite low, less than 5 minutes, actually. I got a very professional rep on line who checked and verified that my refund was in process, and for the exact amount I had calculated, but explained they are running behind. I told him that was fine, I just wanted to make sure I didn't fall through the cracks since I could easily see that happening with the sheer volume they're dealing with. He told me to give it another couple of weeks. I'm not in any hurry for it, but I feel better knowing my refund is pending.

I wanted to post an update from an RCCL nobody. Looks like we're all being taken care of. My question to this group is why would you take the FCC on a BOGO? I don't understand how that could possibly be better than a refund. You already saved double when you originally booked. How is 125% credit better? Are you banking on another BOGO?  Am I missing something? 

Regards,

Polly

1 hour ago, DRLPP said:

I understand the delay of refunds during these times. No issue there. I finally received a partial refund on both my March, 2020 Sydney, Australian 12 day B2B cruises. Sooooo confused.   Each cruise totaled 2508.76 of which taxes, fees and port charges came to $441.74. Refund was for $1358.76 for each. No other refunds listed separately. I did get refunded for shore excursions last month. After a looonnngg wait time was told by agent that he did not know and would refer to manager who was not in at the time. Any one else get a partial refund AND an explanation? Just wish they would give a breakdown on how they got to that figure and what else, if anything, would still be outstanding. Thanks for hearing my vent!!  Still love my RCL. 

I've been lurking on this board since December,  after our family decided to take our 1st cruise.  But something similar happened to me so I created a profile to share my experience so far.  1st post! 

We were scheduled for Harmony on March 22nd from Port Canaveral.  We got the cancellation email on March 15th (I think)  I responded the next day for the 100% refund.  Called a couple of weeks ago and they said my request was processed on April 6th and could take up to 30 days.  We received our refund on Wednesday (so less than 30 calendar or business days),  but only for 86% of what we paid.  So I called them and the rep I spoke to put me on hold for about 10 minutes, then came back and said the remaining refund had already been approved/processed and may take another 7-10 days to post.  He had no idea why it was split in 2 like that.   The balance was a random number (no combination of port fees/taxes, prepaid gratuities or passenger fares equaled the missing amount).  Don't know the rhyme or reason,  but glad to get back what we have so far and I'm sure we'll get the rest.  Good luck to you!

@Sweetpolly To answer your question. Many people on this board are avid cruisers, often loyal to royal. They have 5 to a million other cruises on deck so taking the FCC works in their favor big time. They are getting an extra 25% of what they paid, which can be used to pay the balance on other cruises.

I had a cruise scheduled on CCL, insane deal of a grand ocean suite, 4 days only $1085 for 2 people. I took the refund because I don't like Carnival and was only cursing because it was part of a birthday group deal.

On 4/29/2020 at 3:12 PM, jticarruthers said:

The same thing has just happened to me and MY WIFE! Although my understanding is that the excess FCC on my account can be retained for use on yet another cruise, my wife's FCC won't cover half (her share) of the cost of the cruise we're booking, so we'll have to shell out $$. The 125% FCC offer was meant to give us "a little extra", not make us pay more.

We had our June 7th on Oasis canceled by Royal on April 16th. We opted for a full refund and not the FCC. Received email from Royal about the cruise planner cancellations on April 23 and assumed that to be the start of our 30 days. April 24 the cruise planner credits showed up as a refund on our credit card. And on April 29th our refund for the cruise and deposit showed up. Much quicker than expected. I fell for those of you still waiting. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to when they are being processed. We did got through our TA for the cruise cancellation, maybe that had something to do with their quick refund.