What should happen so we can safely resume cruising ?

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

They've made the ship's pizza into a Covid-19 cure?!? OMG, I don't care how unlike NJ pizza it is, I'll eat that $*%& all day if it keeps me safe! ?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ?

I'll eat it all day but the only thing it will cure for me is my hunger. ?

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

I do have the link but unfortunately its not in English ... 

Here is an article on what you were talking about. Surfaces seem to be a way to get infected but very likely.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc-coronavirus-mainly-spreads-through-persontoperson-contact-and-does-not-spread-easily-on-contaminated-surfaces-153317029.html

5 hours ago, JLMoran said:

They've made the ship's pizza into a Covid-19 cure?!? OMG, I don't care how unlike NJ pizza it is, I'll eat that $*%& all day if it keeps me safe! ?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ?

I'm  one of those odd people that hated pizza for decades, then i moved to jersey now i love it. Don't think putting the cure in sorrentos would change my mind on me eating that. Tried it once on the last cruise and I wont ever again. If the wife and daughter went to get some i would go elsewhere.

Put it in a lava flow and now we are talking.

34 minutes ago, bossdog421 said:

I'm  one of those odd people that hated pizza for decades, then i moved to jersey now i love it. Don't think putting the cure in sorrentos would change my mind on me eating that. Tried it once on the last cruise and I wont ever again. If the wife and daughter went to get some i would go elsewhere.

Put in a lava flow and now we are talking.

Those Lava Flows are quite yummy. I agree Sorrento's isn't anything spectacular, but something about 4 or so of those little slices and a stack of cookies at 2AM! YUM. 

2 hours ago, bossdog421 said:

Put it in a lava flow and now we are talking.

As someone that was born and raised in NJ and eaten a lot of pizza I can say Sorento's pizza is ok for a quick bite. Its not the great pizza you can get in NJ or NYC. We usually have it a few times on a cruise. Our 7 year old son likes it as a treat on Anthem. But yeah its not quite as good land based mom and pop pizza shop pizza. 

One of my coworker sent in a work email about an Korean country and double exposure findings. It stated that according to some test people who caught the virus twice could no longer spread it.....so there is hope that immunity is gained. It was basically an article in Korean pushing for immunity passports. Which means this virus could follow suit like many others, injecting a healthy host with it to build immunity.

On 5/10/2020 at 7:59 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

I want to cruise on our Oasis cruise in Sept. I don't want to social distance on a cruise and I don't want to wear a mask/face covering so things need to be figured out. I'm not smart enough to know the answers but social distancing and face coverings on a cruise is not the answer. If I have to personally buy 7 of these tests for each day of the cruise I will do that and take one each day. I do not want to be restricted in who I interact with or how man people I interact with and I do not want to wear a face covering everywhere I go on the ship. 

My wife feels the same and I can see her point.  We aren't scheduled to cruise until NOV 1st.  She would wear a mask on the airplane to get to our cruise port, but having to wear a mask on the ship is a NO GO for her.  Does anyone have any definitive information of what the new on-board rules will be?  Especially WRT masks?  Thanks...

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

My wife feels the same and I can see her point.  We aren't scheduled to cruise until NOV 1st.  She would wear a mask on the airplane to get to our cruise port, but having to wear a mask on the ship is a NO GO for her.  Does anyone have any definitive information of what the new on-board rules will be?  Especially WRT masks?  Thanks...

Not even Royal does at this point unfortunately. 

I think if they open up cruising any time before enough people have built immunity and/or we are still asked to wear mask to largely populated activities, they will require masks. Regardless of whether you believe that mask are effective, the CDC and reopening contingencies requires them to absolve liability. There is no way a ship will cruise any time soon without requiring mask, it is their smoking ace to avoid lawsuits. Every reopening plan I have read seems to include mask wearing until the end of the year....most are 15 month plans. I can understand RCCI not being transparent about the new rules because they don't want to increase chaos. It has become apparent that people will focus intensely on dates and numbers as if they are absolute. I.e expecting to cruise August 1st because the CDC restriction ends July 24th...despite the fact that borders are still closed, planes are grounded, and there have been mass cancellations. Everything at this point is hopeful speculations, even when it comes to businesses themselves. I am sure RCCI has thought of multiple courses of action but as they are the LEAST essential item they will have to see how restaurants, amusement parks and other forms of entertainment do before implementing them.

I could see one useful way to handle mask-wearing is if you have proof of prior exposure / immunity -- either documentation that you've already had a positive swab test followed by recovery, or an antibody test (maybe the latter only when they become more accurate than the present ones, which still seem to have a high rate of both false negatives and false positives). Present such documentation and you get a wrist band that identifies you as immune / unable to re-transmit, allowing you to roam the ship mask-free. Keep it worn prominently so people who see you don't assume you're flouting the rules, kind of how kids who board are given a muster station bracelet that they have to wear at all times.

Honestly, I think until we have a widely available vaccine something like this may be the only way to identify progress toward herd immunity in any community gathering, not just on board a cruise ship. But we need some better confirmation that antibodies do indeed confer immunity, or at least that they ensure you can be re-exposed and not become a carrier again.

7 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I read this a few days ago. Isn't this really good news for cruises? I mean still need to wash up, wash hands and be vigilant but this seems like excellent news for cruises and in general. What do you think?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cdc-says-coronavirus-mainly-spreads-170652157.html

The main body verbiage of that CDC page is 100% identical to what it was before they changed the headline. The Washington Post also covered this and said the following (emphasis added):

But the previous version of the website, archived May 1, includes the same statement about surfaces as the current version: “It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.”

So the only difference is that before May 1, this page had a headline / main bullet point that said surfaces were as much a transmission factor as airborne droplets, caveated by the quoted statement. Now it says surfaces are not a driving factor in transmission, but they are still issuing the caveat that they may be and and it's still not fully known.

And because it's ambiguous both before and after, it's still just as open to interpretation as it was before. Which ticks me off. Going to leave it at that.

16 hours ago, JLMoran said:

The main body verbiage of that CDC page is 100% identical to what it was before they changed the headline. The Washington Post also covered this and said the following (emphasis added):

So the only difference is that before May 1, this page had a headline / main bullet point that said surfaces were as much a transmission factor as airborne droplets, caveated by the quoted statement. Now it says surfaces are not a driving factor in transmission, but they are still issuing the caveat that they may be and and it's still not fully known.

And because it's ambiguous both before and after, it's still just as open to interpretation as it was before. Which ticks me off. Going to leave it at that.

Oh I didn't know because all I heard was surfaces were kinda deadly and then touching your face. Like it was kinda scary the way it seemed. Plus there is the BS about the Princess ship having the virus found on surfaces like 3 weeks after the initial breakout. That was misleading though. I'm just glad that aspect is not as big deal or at least I guess I'm finding out its not that big a deal late. ?

12 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh I didn't know because all I heard was surfaces were kinda deadly and then touching your face. Like it was kinda scary the way it seemed. Plus there is the BS about the Princess ship having the virus found on surfaces like 3 weeks after the initial breakout. That was misleading though. I'm just glad that aspect is not as big deal or at least I guess I'm finding out its not that big a deal late. ?

Frankly it's much scarier being airborne than being able to catch it from a surface.  I can easily control what I touch, and I've made it a point to not touch high-touch surfaces with my hands for YEARS (you learn that when Norovirus spreads like wildfire through your workplace twice a year for 10 years).  I cannot as easily control where and what I breathe.  

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

Frankly it's much scarier being airborne than being able to catch it from a surface.  I can easily control what I touch, and I've made it a point to not touch high-touch surfaces with my hands for YEARS (you learn that when Norovirus spreads like wildfire through your workplace twice a year for 10 years).  I cannot as easily control where and what I breathe.  

Oh I agree very much. I think I should have explained better. It's good news to me because it takes one way to get it, not off the table but less worrisome. To me it's a little relief I guess. The fact this thing is transmitted so easily is really the scary part. The fact they say 30-40% are asymptomatic is frightening. 

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@RCIfan1912 Exactly why I'm a smidge afraid. I can go all day without touching my face, things and people...some animals are too cute to resist. But someone coughing in my face right as I round a corner or reach the stairs

scared south park GIF

Coughing in someones face right now should be a federal offence in my opinion. Really no excuse for it before this, but now, uh no way, that is a crime. 

I am living  in a place that is currently at the end of the first wave (and hopefully the last wave) so now we started  open facilities and services  steps by steps with some restrictions , that might give some clue how things can work  on a ship : 

Work place : 

From March to end of April I was going to the office  were we maintained 1-2 % of the people to make sure everyone can work from home , on the last few weeks we increased  the numbers from 15% to  30% and  now 70% (people will work 3 days from office and 2 days from home).
The process - Every day each employee is filing online health declaration form  , in the parking garage I am wearing a face mask  and use alchogel , elevators to the reception were my temperature is being  taken using an ipad and a heat  sensitive camera , if there is a queue of people there are stickers on the floor to show were you need to stand . Once I am done with the temperature check  I am swapping my card so they can verify that I sign the declaration , after that I am getting a colored bracelet (each day different color) so I do not need to to go through this process again.. This is something that can be done also on the ship , the security can take your temperature at the morning and give you a daily bracelet . Alchogel again and to the office were I am taking off my mask . At the the   kitchen we suppose to wash our hands and  use disposable  gloves before touching any food or prepare a drink. in the meeting Rooms we suppose to have empty chair between each other. Lunch went from buffet style to take away in disposable trays were you can add also some prepacked salads.

Shops : 

Temperature is being taken before you can get in , alchogel station and gloves are available. shops are limited to a precedent that driven from number of available cashiers   , masks are require to be wear all the time.

Restaurants and bars  :

If the bar/restaurants can contain more than 100 people they are allow to have up to 75% of their max capacity , tables should have a 4 feet distance between each other,  Mask is required to be wear until you are seated , from this point you can take them off . Only when you seat your table is being maid .

Theaters:

Only online tickets are allowed , everyone that bought the tickets together can  seat together , between groups there should be an empty seat, that can work with RCL theaters also , maybe they will need to add another show or two 

Masks in public area : 

People require to wear masks in public areas unless they are in a middle of sports activity or if the temperature outside is above 90 , a 60 $ fine can be given for people who caught not wearing one, currently its not highly forced but most of the people still wear  a mask.

Beach /pools : 

People allow to go to the beach and a six feet distance is expected between groups , masks are required but not heavily forced. Pools are open but the population is limited, water parks are still kept closed.  

Schools /kindergarten: 

Schools are  100% opened as long as no new C19 cases are found which in that case the school can be closed for two weeks. older kids require to wear a mask while seating at the class , windows are kept open (while air condition is working). 

Flights : 

Limit flights continued during all this period , from next month more and more companies starting again to operate , the main issue is that anyone that land here is required to get into  quarantine for two weeks . There is a discussion to lift the quarantine requirement as long you are flying to/from a "green country" which has lower level of the C19  cases such as Austria , Iceland , Seychelles, Greece , South Korea and some more .  Cruise might stats for places like Greece Islands ...

So far we are OK , but the status of the C19 is monitored very closely , if too  many cases are located in a neighborhood it might be quarantined for few days , if a case is found in a work place , the work place will be shut for two weeks. 

For me wearing the mask outside is tolerable but I am very happy every time i can take it off.

Here are some update on countries that are going to be open for tourist including some in the Caribbean :

Mexico - Cancun , Riviera Maya and Tulum - going to be open for tourist at Jun 10 

Cyprus - 15 June for "green countries" the interesting thing is that they will pay your health cost encase you will catch C19 during your vacation.

Iceland - 15 June but every tourist will need to do a C19 test while in the airport and to wait for the results.

Aruba - until 15 June.

US virgin Islands - Suppose to be opened today.

Saint Lucia - 4 June.

Antigua and Barbuda - 4 June

Italy - June .

Spain - Until Mid July.

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

Iceland - 15 June but every tourist will need to do a C19 test while in the airport and to wait for the results.

Which means zero chance of cruises going there; by the time the results come in, the should would have to leave. ? 

10 hours ago, Traveler said:

Here are some update on countries that are going to be open for tourist including some in the Caribbean :

Mexico - Cancun , Riviera Maya and Tulum - going to be open for tourist at Jun 10 

Cyprus - 15 June for "green countries" the interesting thing is that they will pay your health cost encase you will catch C19 during your vacation.

Aruba - until 15 June.

US virgin Islands - Suppose to be opened today.

Saint Lucia - 4 June.

Antigua and Barbuda - 4 June

Italy - June .

Spain - Until Mid July.

Adding Jamaica is opening June 15th! I have a land vacation to Montego Bay in August so I have Google alerts on Jamaica + International Travel.

1 hour ago, Marlena said:

Question about temp checks and ( rumor ) of thermal scans....after a day in the sun wont it show an elevated temp for sure?

Not unless you developed heat stroke or a bad sunburn. The body actively works to maintain internal temperature in hot weather via sweating, flushed skin, etc; so even on a 104 degree day you'll still come back right around 98.6 (or 97.8, or whatever the average "normal" just got updated to).

5 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Not unless you developed heat stroke or a bad sunburn. The body actively works to maintain internal temperature in hot weather via sweating, flushed skin, etc; so even on a 104 degree day you'll still come back right around 98.6 (or 97.8, or whatever the average "normal" just got updated to).

I even tested it.

I checked my temp at work then I had to be outside for few hours and did some physical activity came back and check the temp again (on the same device) there was a change but a minor one , not something that could trigger any alarm.

Some news : 

Started with not so good - it seems that heat is not effecting the C19 , after opening the restaurants and shopping centers here we can see some increase in number of cases (not yet dramatically ) .

Good news : 

New Zealand announce they are C19 fully cleaned , they did not found any new cases in the last weeks , they lift any restrictions but the border to satay closed for now.

And for the best news , WHO expert claiming the asymptomatic C19 patients are not likely to infect others    - https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html  

This is very important , if it will proven to be true , it will be much easier to make sure major outbreak will not happen during cruises.

9 hours ago, Traveler said:

And for the best news , WHO expert claiming the asymptomatic C19 patients are not likely to infect others    - https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html  

This is very important , if it will proven to be true , it will be much easier to make sure major outbreak will not happen during cruises.

WHO was not entirely clear on that, and there was a Twitter thread I found (sorry, don't have the link) where a journalist confirmed they spoke directly with WHO reps and that "asymptomatic" in their statements mean truly, 100% asymptomatic. That is, they get the virus but never get sick at all, not even the sniffles. Such individuals were declared extremely rare, and those are the ones who are highly unlikely to spread the virus.

Everyone else talking about "asymptomatic" patients being major spreaders have meant (and WHO was distinguishing from) those who are either presymptomatic (will eventually show symptoms in a few days), or very mildly symptomatic (sniffles, persistent but mild cough) and don't realize they have the virus and are spreading it everywhere they go.

Lot of those I follow in science circles are more than a little peeved at WHO right now, because of this hyper-precise definition they've chosen to use vs everyone else's "everyman" understanding of what asymptomatic probably means, and causing confusion in its wake.