Covid 19 Test On The Spot

My Husband and I are scheduled to cruise in June. However I'm still concerned about being in an environment, where large crowds and the thought of someone sneezes or cough. OMG! are they sick have they been sick? And we are stuck on this ship for seven days. Only to find out that someone boarded with this virus. So my question to everyone that is schedule to cruise, in the next few months. Would you feel better if Royal had a way to rapid test ever person before they checked in?  Im not talking about asking the questions if you are anyone been sick or taking a temp.  Swab your nose and throat. 

I haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised if RCI began having people come to port early for more thorough screening. However, I don't really see a feasible way to get tests to every single person that boards a ship without taking supply away from medical facilities unless RC started making their own. Overall, I don't think I would feel better. The virus can survive for days on all kinds of surfaces and there isn't a way to guarantee not getting it if you go on vacation. There's always some risk when you leave your house. I guess it depends on each person to decide if it's worth it? ?   

I like the idea and even made a thread about this a few weeks ago but I'm not sure now. I mean you would have to test at every port too. So if you stop at 4 or 5 ports you would test on Embarkation day, and then getting back on at each port. Unless its instantaneous and cheap it'll be tough. Now if someone comes up with a swab of the mouth, stick into a vile, shake it and if it turns blue or some other color to say its positive or negative I'm not sure this would be feasible. Cruises are going to start in my opinion in July or August but I'm not just not sure what protocols will be in place. What will make it safe.

Wife and I decided not to cruise until April 2021 - after therapeutics, vaccines, and herd immunity are improved.  The only way we will sail sooner is if  we both contract it and survive before then.  We just don't want to be away from home and catch a potentially fatal illness.

38 minutes ago, ptc-cruise said:

Wife and I decided not to cruise until April 2020 - after therapeutics, vaccines, and herd immunity are improved.  The only way we will sail sooner is if  we both contract it and survive before then.  We just don't want to be away from home and catch a potentially fatal illness.

I assume you mean April 2021, as there's only one day left in April 2020....

• 2 weeks later...

It's ok saying test everyone but if they are going to do it then it has to be done correctly, no point testing only once when we first board ship, it must be done every time we re-board from a port of call and before we disembark, which if in UK expect 14 day quarantine rules to be applied tomorrow for all Brits and visitors!   

So how do we account for time? I mean in order to test each embark/debark there would have to be time windows in order to ensure there is no contamination. A 5 min test creates too large of a strain on boarding. To ensue it does not affect sail away, you would have to pull employees from other venues or employ a ton of extras at each dock. That is a ton of extra expenses that take away from vacation time. I am sorry..... but I am of the mindset that vacation is a time to do things I might not be able to do at home and to relax and enjoy. Having to subject myself to constantly testing, whether its as simple as a mouth swab or as harsh as nose or blood, is not worth it. Imho if RCCI wants to get back to cruising so soon, it needs to be a cruise to nowhere.....3 or 4 nights on a ship that does not dock at any port. A COVID-19 test before boarding and one when you debark.  Everyone on the ship would be virus free and able to enjoy, not have to worry about wearing mask or social distancing. That way they can have some revenue coming in without having to worry about all that extra cost.

Wow,   I totally agree with AMPURP85 YAY!  RCCL could add sailing to COCO CAY to those sailings, as RCCL owns the island and could easily test all the employees on the Island...which honestly, all employees probably have been tested there because they live on the island. I would consider that a SAFE stop too! The island is large and could be limited to half capacity with only one ship stopping at a time. It is outside, clean, and great for a day off the ship in Paradise!! Also id Disney opens in Orlando...it is the same thing as Coco Cay only huge with many more people...if they can Social Distance at Disney, it can easily work at COCO Cay. Limiting the number of people on the island and th enumber of people enjoying a ride is KEY! RCCL is so organized and they pay attention to detail....I Know they will figure it out!

Edited by Aslan
addition of info

1 hour ago, Jill said:

My sister’s company is supplying antibody tests to FEMA for the next 5 years. All 3 major cruise lines have called about antibody tests. 

I doubt this, antibody testing is very controversial currently, and the re-infection possibilities are highly questionable 

1 hour ago, Jill said:

My sister’s company is supplying antibody tests to FEMA for the next 5 years. All 3 major cruise lines have called about antibody tests. 

What does antibody test have to do with testing each traveler before they board a cruise? Nothing! We are here discussing what safety measure will take place when the industry starts to sail. How are we going to be protected. It's no safe and effective way to protect each and everyone of us, on a ship that holds up to 6600 thousand  travelers with 2200 staff members. It only takes one person to slip through the cracks and all heck breaks loose. So I can appreciate your sister checking up on the antibody test. But that's not going to solve the burning question. 

31 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

So how do we account for time? I mean in order to test each embark/debark there would have to be time windows in order to ensure there is no contamination. A 5 min test creates too large of a strain on boarding. To ensue it does not affect sail away, you would have to pull employees from other venues or employ a ton of extras at each dock. That is a ton of extra expenses that take away from vacation time. I am sorry..... but I am of the mindset that vacation is a time to do things I might not be able to do at home and to relax and enjoy. Having to subject myself to constantly testing, whether its as simple as a mouth swab or as harsh as nose or blood, is not worth it. Imho if RCCI wants to get back to cruising so soon, it needs to be a cruise to nowhere.....3 or 4 nights on a ship that does not dock at any port. A COVID-19 test before boarding and one when you debark.  Everyone on the ship would be virus free and able to enjoy, not have to worry about wearing mask or social distancing. That way they can have some revenue coming in without having to worry about all that extra cost.

You can't account for the time. And I would still be concerned about a cruise to no where. Lets say for the sake of a fair argument, that a test was given and all came back negative. And then when it's time to debark and one of those asymptomatic  cruisers test positive. Now that 3-4 day turns into a month's stay. Then what?

1 hour ago, Ray said:

It's ok saying test everyone but if they are going to do it then it has to be done correctly, no point testing only once when we first board ship, it must be done every time we re-board from a port of call and before we disembark, which if in UK expect 14 day quarantine rules to be applied tomorrow for all Brits and visitors!   

Ray, How do you propose the testing being done correctly? Who will pay for said testing? If the cost are placed back on the traveler what do you feel is a pair price for said testing? I can assume that a family of 4 would be very costly for a 7 day cruise. Three or four ports a test at every stop. Let's say it cost $50 per person =$200 boarding test then $50 at every port for every family member. And if one test positive, does the entire family stay in the Bahamas or wherever the ship has ported? And the travel insurance doesn't cover that part. This is something we all have to think about. I love cruising but at what cost my friend.

Not to mention how do you social distance at coco cay. 

2 minutes ago, Diamondntherough said:

Ray, How do you propose the testing being done correctly?

Not a doctor or an expert so cannot comment, my post was simply pointing out that it would be a waste of time just doing it when people embark at start but not when they have been on land at a port of call

Who will pay for said testing? If the cost are placed back on the traveler what do you feel is a pair price for said testing?

As stated not an expert but do know how to use spell check ?

I can assume that a family of 4 would be very costly for a 7 day cruise. Three or four ports a test at every stop. Let's say it cost $50 per person =$200 boarding test then $50 at every port for every family member.

Cant comment on figures and wouldnt even guess as this just adds to rumours etc 

And if one test positive, does the entire family stay in the Bahamas or wherever the ship has ported?

Not my decision thats for those who make the rules to determine 

And the travel insurance doesn't cover that part. This is something we all have to think about. I love cruising but at what cost my friend

Personally i couldnt care about tests, way i see it if im going to get i would rather it was somewhere hot with a cold beer ( not corona ) in my hand

Not to mention how do you social distance at coco cay. 

How do you social distance anywhere? Not just on a cruiseship! 

As i mentioned at start i dont have the answers in fact no one does, if they did we wouldnt be discusing here!

All i stated was that it would be a complete waste of time only testing once at start then allowing someone off ship at a port of call and they get infected by a local and are not tested when reembarking. 

Costs, legal requirements, PPE, Social Distancing thats for the experts and those in charge to work out, if we are not happy with the results we simply dont cruise

1 hour ago, Ray said:

@Ray. Please accept my apology. I was not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I was merely asking questions that maybe everyone on my original post could take part in. I should not have addressed you personally. Thank you for checking me and my lack their of for not checking my spelling. Im human, just not a perfect human.

As i mentioned at start i dont have the answers in fact no one does, if they did we wouldnt be discusing here!

All i stated was that it would be a complete waste of time only testing once at start then allowing someone off ship at a port of call and they get infected by a local and are not tested when reembarking. 

Costs, legal requirements, PPE, Social Distancing thats for the experts and those in charge to work out, if we are not happy with the results we simply dont cruise

@Diamondntherough That was my question, how to justify all the time it would take to complete such a task. I was merely asking and pointing out the flaws within trying to cruise so fast and banking on the validity of on-the-spot COVID-19 test. There are far too many variables to consider and visiting ports multiplies them. A cruise to nowhere is the best bet, IF they are in desperate need to make money by cruising asap. I have no plans to cruise until this is under control; I am going to L&S my Jan and March 2021 cruises to 2022. Making my next cruise Oct 2021. I work for a small law firm, they have decided to work from home until March 2021. More than half of us have had/has the Coronavirus, yet we still are being cautious. Too little is known so cruising now is 100% risky...sure a lot of travel is risky but the problem is this requires each person to do their part.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, Diamondntherough said:

What does antibody test have to do with testing each traveler before they board a cruise? Nothing! We are here discussing what safety measure will take place when the industry starts to sail. How are we going to be protected. It's no safe and effective way to protect each and everyone of us, on a ship that holds up to 6600 thousand  travelers with 2200 staff members. It only takes one person to slip through the cracks and all heck breaks loose. So I can appreciate your sister checking up on the antibody test. But that's not going to solve the burning question. 

My sister didn’t do anything. The cruise lines contacted them inquiring about the tests. 

I don't see it happening ..... if they were to test all passengers before boarding, it would kill the business.  Nobody will book a cruise, make the investment in airfare, hotel, etc and run the risk that they could be turned away at the last minute....and if someone tests positive, what about those in the terminal near that person?

People (myself included) will just say, No Thank You, not worth the hassle, I'll just use the $$ for a land based vacation, or, perhaps, an all inclusive.

Now, as @whitsmom just mentioned, for crew, not passengers.  That makes a lot more sense.