Anthem in February. Should I go or cancel?

We are booked on the Anthem Nov, 29,  we are still planning to go, we will keep track or what is going on. If they say we are ok to sail on we go.  We´re not really worried about the port or the area around it. Masks and gloves, clorox wipes, We stay overnight in Lyndhurst, we wipe down room any way, same with the cabin. I can´t believe that they will let us sail if the virus is still not under some kind of control. Just my opinion.

Same.  We are booked end of Dec of this year.  Really hoping to go, but we'll evaluate where things are as we get closer and go from there.  I doubt there will be a vaccine by then, but depending on testing and what changes they make.  

You have awhile before final payment, so unless you want your deposit back, then you may as well keep it, watch for price drops, and just see where things are in Feb.  

PS - We also need the borders to open up between Canada and the USA (and then have expiring passport issues but that's another story)

56 minutes ago, Spang1974 said:

Just my opinion, but if I wasn't willing to go near NYC next February I wouldn't ever leave the house again. I personally cannot bear to think that this wont be resolved to a large extant by next February, I need a vacation sometime this year:)

I'm more worried about it disappearing in the summer and re-appearing when it gets colder again. That's how most viruses work.

My only fear would be ….weather.  

The weather has been mild for several years, however, it is not uncommon for a huge snow storm to come barreling into the area.   

Plus, it will be cold sailing out regardless for at least the 1st 36 hrs.  Figure you will not hit NC waters until the a.m. of day 2,  it is still going to be cool.  I am just someone that does not like packing for multiple climates.  

Finally, my favorite thing about sailing out of Cape Liberty is going under the Verrazano bridge.  There is nothing like it....looking up under the bridge as it barely clears it and hearing the wheels of the cars whizz by.  No way at 4 p.m. when it is 40 some degrees would I be up there on the pool deck.  

We are booked on 6th Feb sailing (following the cancellation of our Oasis sailing, same itinerary and embarkation port, in what would have been 26 days from now ?).

Like others on here we will be watching developments with interest and looking to make the ultimate call as the final payment date approaches. We are hoping things will be markedly different by then (my wife is a front line NHS care worker and is starting to see the first tentative signs that things are beginning to improve, and whilst we are of course well aware of the dangers of being overly optimistic, it has got to be better than the alternative view, right? ?) Whether the change to colder weather will give the virus a new lease of life remains to be seen of course, and I guess all we can do is hope... and keep everything crossed that the vaccine will become available to the masses toward the end of this year, rather than into next one.

3 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

The weather has been mild for several years, however, it is not uncommon for a huge snow storm to come barreling into the area.   

Plus, it will be cold sailing out regardless for at least the 1st 36 hrs.  Figure you will not hit NC waters until the a.m. of day 2,  it is still going to be cool.  I am just someone that does not like packing for multiple climates.  

Finally, my favorite thing about sailing out of Cape Liberty is going under the Verrazano bridge.  There is nothing like it....looking up under the bridge as it barely clears it and hearing the wheels of the cars whizz by.  No way at 4 p.m. when it is 40 some degrees would I be up there on the pool deck.  

Haven't been on Anthem yet (and missing it in March makes me want to try her even more).  Doesn't the 270 have large windows with amazing views?  I know not the same as being outside but seems like a good compromise.

We have 2 cruises booked out of Cape Liberty coming up:  October on Oasis, and January on Anthem.

If they are sailing we will be on board.  I think it's importatnt to remember how each of us deals with the current health situation is a personal decision.

What works for some may not work for all.

(We did the NYE Anthem sailing out of Cape Liberty......chilly, but being on deck to go under the bridge was fantastic.  )

@WannaCruise Yes the 270 has amazing windows. 

•  Actually for our sailing that was our muster point.
  •  It is also where you will find the famous Kummelwreck sandwich, unless it has changed since our 9/18 sailing.  We opted to eat there over the WJ on one of our sea days.
  • I cannot say what it would be like to sail away in the 270.  I guess for myself and my husband, we always get a balcony.  I think for us, we would probably get a glass of wine,  bring back from the WJ (lunch) cheese, breads, etc. and sit on our balcony as we went under.  That or maybe the Solarium.  The Solarium is adult only, whereas, the  270 is for everyone.

Maybe @WAAAYTOOO could also chime in.  She sails on the Anthem in the winter.

45 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

@WannaCruise Yes the 270 has amazing windows. 

•  Actually for our sailing that was our muster point.
  •  It is also where you will find the famous Kummelwreck sandwich, unless it has changed since our 9/18 sailing.  We opted to eat there over the WJ on one of our sea days.
  • I cannot say what it would be like to sail away in the 270.  I guess for myself and my husband, we always get a balcony.  I think for us, we would probably get a glass of wine,  bring back from the WJ (lunch) cheese, breads, etc. and sit on our balcony as we went under.  That or maybe the Solarium.  The Solarium is adult only, whereas, the  270 is for everyone.

Maybe @WAAAYTOOO could also chime in.  She sails on the Anthem in the winter.

Sounds amazing!  Ah...how I miss cruising.

2 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Not trying to be sarcastic, but the port is in NJ, stick to NJ (fly into EWR, find a nearby hotel, etc) and that could help keep your mind at ease. 

This is exactly what I'm doing in November. Well, actually, even more direct -- flying or taking the train to EWR and then heading right to the terminal morning of. Yes, I know normally people wouldn't advise this, but I've heard it works well for Newark/Cape Liberty. All flights from here are non-stop, so I can grab a super-early one.

I know things might look a bit grim in the New York metro right now, but I believe in the medical workers and the people of New York and New Jersey. Yes, there's a chance a second wave of the virus could strike in late fall/early winter. Or next spring for that matter. Until there's a vaccine, that's a risk. It's also nearly 7 months away for me.

I believe that as long as cruise ships are sailing again by then, I and many others will be on them. And we'll be smart, follow directions, and adjust to any "new normal" aboard. Yes, all of this in spite of the possibility of being told to quarantine for 14 days afterward -- let's face it...at this point, 14 days is a cakewalk! -- and the possibility of people generally scowling at me because I'm "one of those cruise types". Dang right, I am. My first cruise (albeit on another line) was some of the most fun I've had on a vacation!

And at this point, I need that. I need to get away. I need something to look forward to. I'll wear a mask. I'll spend a certain amount of time in my cabin (part of why I'm booking a balcony). I will do whatever I'm told as long as it means I get to be enjoying one of my favorite days -- Thanksgiving -- on Anthem, especially because I've got a friend who might wanna actually go with me!

If I'm told I can't go, then I trust that Royal and others are making the decision that's best. Until I'm told otherwise, I'll look forward to going, and I'll be prepared to do my part to stay safe and well on board and in ports of call.

@alamode123, I hope whatever you do, you don't make any decisions right now, 9 months out. While "Cruise With Confidence" may or may not still be in place to give lots of extra cushion, you still have 6 months before you hit the final payment date, and a lot can happen in 6 months.

29 minutes ago, Chadster said:

This is exactly what I'm doing in November. Well, actually, even more direct -- flying or taking the train to EWR and then heading right to the terminal morning of. Yes, I know normally people wouldn't advise this, but I've heard it works well for Newark/Cape Liberty. All flights from here are non-stop, so I can grab a super-early one.

I know things might look a bit grim in the New York metro right now, but I believe in the medical workers and the people of New York and New Jersey. Yes, there's a chance a second wave of the virus could strike in late fall/early winter. Or next spring for that matter. Until there's a vaccine, that's a risk. It's also nearly 7 months away for me.

I believe that as long as cruise ships are sailing again by then, I and many others will be on them. And we'll be smart, follow directions, and adjust to any "new normal" aboard. Yes, all of this in spite of the possibility of being told to quarantine for 14 days afterward -- let's face it...at this point, 14 days is a cakewalk! -- and the possibility of people generally scowling at me because I'm "one of those cruise types". Dang right, I am. My first cruise (albeit on another line) was some of the most fun I've had on a vacation!

And at this point, I need that. I need to get away. I need something to look forward to. I'll wear a mask. I'll spend a certain amount of time in my cabin (part of why I'm booking a balcony). I will do whatever I'm told as long as it means I get to be enjoying one of my favorite days -- Thanksgiving -- on Anthem, especially because I've got a friend who might wanna actually go with me!

If I'm told I can't go, then I trust that Royal and others are making the decision that's best. Until I'm told otherwise, I'll look forward to going, and I'll be prepared to do my part to stay safe and well on board and in ports of call.

@alamode123, I hope whatever you do, you don't make any decisions right now, 9 months out. While "Cruise With Confidence" may or may not still be in place to give lots of extra cushion, you still have 6 months before you hit the final payment date, and a lot can happen in 6 months.

We drove from south of Pittsburgh to Port Liberty the day of once,  (5 1/2 hrs) never again. LOL We know people that fly in day of and get taxi, it has always worked  great for them. We go over the night before, easier on us. We have friends that we see and we generally stay an extra day when we get back.

27 minutes ago, ehw51 said:

We drove from south of Pittsburgh to Port Liberty the day of once,  (5 1/2 hrs) never again. LOL We know people that fly in day of and get taxi, it has always worked  great for them. We go over the night before, easier on us. We have friends that we see and we generally stay an extra day when we get back.

Is there a park and cruise hotel that you can recommend?

3 hours ago, Chadster said:

I've taken NJ Transit from upstate NY to EWR for a flight before. There is a train station near Cape Liberty not sure how frequently trains go by.

EWR I almost always check United first, they "own" terminal C. Otherwise, lots of other airline options at EWR.

8 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

January 11th 2011 we sailed the NCL Gem out of NYC. Coming from about 60 miles north we weren't concerned about traveling in but it was COLD and a snow storm was predicted for the following day.

We left the terminal late and it was dark, I insisted on leaving the balcony door open to enjoy the NYC lights. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was so cold she wore her wool coat, hat, scarf, and was hiding in the closet. LOL. I have a photo but it's too blurry to appreciate.

With the snow storm coming and a "smaller" ship we encountered some fairly rough seas (the kind where barf bags are available). 

Also as you've stated, it's cold until around NC and your last day or so back it starts getting cold (as you pass NC).

I would totally sail in the winter from NY/NJ again, but weather could be a big con, especially if you're trying to escape the cold.

Sailing under the Verrazano Bridge will NEVER get old!