Over 70 and cruising

DanielB

My mother will be 71 in September and has diabetes.  Under the current restrictions she would not be able to cruise with us in December.  I asked my MEI agent about these restrictions and what we should do.  She stated that these are CDC guidelines but I do not think that is accurate and can not find the age restriction on the CDC website.  

What is people above 70 doing???  Cancelling????  I can't imagine not brining her, this is a family trip that we do with my niece and her family as well.  We lost my sister to cancer almost a year ago and like to vacation together.  

Thanks!

It is not a CDC restriction...it is a CLIA restriction that came from CDC recommendations (read this, "blackmail").  The cruise industry made a very bad bargain (IMO) to appease CDC and now they have to live with it.

Personally, I think these kinds of restrictions will EVENTUALLY be quietly overlooked or even rescinded completely, but at least at the beginning of cruise resumption, I think it will disappoint and disenfranchise many and cause the cruise lines to lose a lot of much-needed and never-to-return business.  Of course, time will pass and they will acquire new fans and devotees, but for a time, it's going to be a poison pill.

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Personally, I think these kinds of restrictions will EVENTUALLY be quietly overlooked or even rescinded completely, but at least at the beginning of cruise resumption, I think it will disappoint and disenfranchise many and cause the cruise lines to lose a lot of much-needed and never-to-return business.

I agree Waaay...consider our situation. We will be in NJ in November and have a cruise planned out of Baltimore over Thanksgiving. Most of our doctors, including both PCPs, are in FL, where we live much of the year. Since we are both in our mid-70's, we would have to fly to FL and back within a week of the cruise to obtain the certificate, then drive to Baltimore. An alternative would be to go through the hassle of getting a PCP in NJ, including any testing the PCP would require. The third alternative would be to cancel the cruise and that is probably what we will do!

We love cruising and have enjoyed every cruise we have been on, but after a certain point, it just isn't worth the aggravation.

22 minutes ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

I agree Waaay...consider our situation. We will be in NJ in November and have a cruise planned out of Baltimore over Thanksgiving. Most of our doctors, including both PCPs, are in FL, where we live much of the year. Since we are both in our mid-70's, we would have to fly to FL and back within a week of the cruise to obtain the certificate, then drive to Baltimore. An alternative would be to go through the hassle of getting a PCP in NJ, including any testing the PCP would require. The third alternative would be to cancel the cruise and that is probably what we will do!

We love cruising and have enjoyed every cruise we have been on, but after a certain point, it just isn't worth the aggravation.

Carrying through with what Eaglesfaninfl stated I would be very surprised if any PCP would go out on a limb and sign off on your health unless you would agree to sign a release of responsibility (or whatever it is called) if something went wrong while cruising.  

Glad to hear that the doctors letter requirement has been rescinded. Looks like the cruise lines realised that it would cost them many loyal customers ...... possibly for ever. My wife and I were seriously considering cancelling the 5 cruises that we had booked for late 2020 and early 2021. We will now wait to see what happens over the next few months.

I am pretty sure that CLIA's legal advisors told them that they will never get a doctor to sign the release. What I find interesting is that this apparently was rescinded back around April 3, I believe, but it is just now being reported. Obviously, there were no cruises affected so no need to quickly release the announcement but it seems to be dribbling out by word of mouth. Just seems a little strange, but what doesn't these days?

9 minutes ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

I am pretty sure that CLIA's legal advisors told them that they will never get a doctor to sign the release. What I find interesting is that this apparently was rescinded back around April 3, I believe, but it is just now being reported. Obviously, there were no cruises affected so no need to quickly release the announcement but it seems to be dribbling out by word of mouth. Just seems a little strange, but what doesn't these days?

This is a moot point now. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/04/29/royal-caribbean-says-no-doctors-note-will-be-required-cruise-once-sailings-resume

47 minutes ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

I agree.  It could certainly have precluded a lot of anxiety.