New Year Eve

Guest toodle68

Guest toodle68

We are considering a cruise that sails on 12/31 ..  My assumption is that there will be some event / party into the midnight hour but don't see anything special listed..  is that the norm for New Year Eve?

I have sailed twice on New Year's Eve and Day. But it was a long time ago. On my cruises, New Years eve had a party in one of the lounges, but at midnight the Atrium had a champagne waterfall that the captain stood on a ladder and poured the champagne into the top glasses, then they made him get down. New Year's day was relatively quiet, we had a sea day, and there was special meal in the dining room, that was about it.

I was very disappointed on my Christmas cruise because everyone I knew that had cruised at this time of year said the ships were decorated beautifully and they had special programs for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, nothing, the ship was decorated but not elaborately, just basic decorations. Atrium had champagne on Christmas Eve and then a roasted turkey dinner in the dining rooms.

You might call the cruise line and ask what they do for New Years Eve on the ships.

Candie

I can't speak to Royal Caribbean on this one, but I did sail on princess new year 2014. although it was a great cruise, I will not choose to pay the holiday premium price to hear Christmas music for 7 straight days. they had a very nice party up on the pool deck with fireworks and of course the ship's horn

Looking forward to hearing your report later in the year WAAAYTOOO. We have a 14 day cruise booked out of Sydney 30/12/17 so looking forward to it. We have a friend coming with us who is always keen to do something special on New Years eve so hopefully this will count as special (We once had 2 New Years, one in New Zealand and then the next in LA which was pretty cool and of course being in NZ we all stayed up to be the first to see the dawn of the new millennium as the sun hit NZ first each day due to the date line and our timezone).

As long as it doesn't inlcude watching TV while someone else is celebrating I think we'll be ok 

I have heard some stories of very expensive upcharges at some locations on the ship for NYE.  I don't like that much...so we'll have to see what the situation is on NAV.

I can imagine... I guess it is just like most popular venues etc (And in this case a captive audience). I remember paying nearly 200% more for a hotel room in NYC one New Years eve. To be fair it was a block away from Times Square but it still hurt....

Guest toodle68

Our initial goal was New Years Eve on a cruise.. but we opted instead for a 1/2/17 sailing since it was a newer ship and the balcony was affordable.. maybe next year..

I've done two NYE cruises, one with Royal and one with HAL, and another coming up on the MSC Seaside next year. In both cases, there was a special formal dinner that night, parties in various lounges, and a countdown and some special event in the atrium and/or pool deck. In addition, on HAL, extended child care was complimentary and maybe on Royal, but I did have a kid at the time.

Personally, I think it's the best holiday to celebrate at sea.