Any luck with Walkie Talkies on board?

Has anyone had any luck with walkie talkies working on board any ships? What brand would you recommend. I just was wondering if they would work from a room to a deck, or if they only work if both parties are out on the lido deck. Maybe even if they worked room to room????

Anything helps. 

Objective:  This is especially challenging given the metal of the hull, water-tight doors, electronics, etc.  (Source btw: many cruises, am an amateur radio operator, and used to repair commercial radio-communications equipment)  Less likely but also a consideration is that FCC allocated FRS frequencies in the US may be used for other more essential communication in other countries, which you may inadvertently interfere with.  So this approach, on newer, larger, more complex ships will be minimally effective, and could cause problems for others.

Subjective: There is no good way to use radios like this in a quiet manner and many guests find them disruptive.  I completely understand why you'd wanna keep in touch, though.  The low-tech solution that isn't great, but served cruisers well for decades is a notepad in the stateroom, or a white-board on the door.  More high tech?  Use phones or iPods (even old ones with broken screens bought on eBay for under $50) to connect to WiFi, get the appropriate WiFi package and use Hangouts, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, Kick, Telegram, etc.

Tried them our first couple of cruises, surprisingly we generally were able to get "signals", however, we quickly learned that a lot of other people had the same idea and the channels can get crowded.

I spent about an hour one morning listening to some crazy lady bitching out her husband for not answering her (in between lots of other side conversations) ... turned out the crazy lady was my wife ..... walkie talkies no longer travel with us.