flights from Ft. Lauderdale

I like using FLL, you can actually see the tops of the cruise ships in the distance from the airline terminal.   Its very convenient and close.  You'll notice that when you board the ship you'll see all the planes taking off very low above you.   We almost always use FLL even for cruises out of Miami.   In our case its almost always much cheaper for us than actually flying to Miami and its a short trip on a shuttle bus, uber, driving, whatever you use to get to Port of Miami.

Us for instance when we have a cruise out of Miami we fly in the day before, rent a car for the day, and drive down the A1A along the coast in between fort lauderdale and Miami.   Theres lots of cool things to see and beaches you can check out.   Very interesting area with lots of money, expensive cars, fancy hotels/resorts, beautiful homes, etc.   Then we will find a place to stay the night, drop off the rental at the airport in Miami the next morning, and take the free rental car company shuttle bus to the port to board the ship.    Renting a car just for that period of time is very affordable and also gives you a place to store and lock your luggage for the day while you are exploring.

If you like seeing some huge fancy yachts and boats Haulover Inlet is a nice place to hang out for a bit and its along the way.   Its constantly busy with a ton of boat traffic coming in and out and its often very wavy and its fun watching the boats maneuver through the tides and waves.   Its right next to a big park and theres even a dog beach right next to it.   Always fun to see the dogs playing fetch and swimming out to retrieve their tennis balls and things.    

One of my favorite things with FLL is that when I fly in the day before if I am sailing on a weekend is to try to time the arrival of my flight with sail away times for the ships in port that day...sit on the right side of the airplane, and you might see an incredible, jaw dropping view of a ship in the Stranahan River making way to sea. I have nailed it twice...once with a sailing from Port Everlgades and another time with a sailing from Port Miami. You increase the likelihood if your sailing is on Sunday, and you fly in on Saturday.

The first time, Freedom had a late sail away, and it was fairly dark, and she was lit up like a Christmas tree...and while she is no longer the largest ship, she is a monstrosity from the altitude just before landing (I saw her from  about where the Stranahan River words are in the pic below). My only regret is that I couldn't get my camera app working in time to take a pic. It happened pretty fast.

The second time, I saw an HAL ship, I think it was a Niew Amsterdam class ship...not Freedom, but impressive nonetheless.

This certainly doesn't answer @NancyL2648's question, but gives a picture of how close the airport is to Port Everglades, and hilites one of the things I love about cruising, and the anticipation of embarkation day. If there are ships docked while you fly in, very often you can see them if they are docked in the northern part of the port from Terminal 18 to the north which I hilited in yellow. You're almost directly above many of the other ships docked in the river, and due to the angle if you are landing on 27R (most likely), you can't see them all from the air. If you fly commuter, you might land on 27L, which would give an amazing view of the entire port, but I haven't done that yet.

(I just realized that this reply reveals that I am a goober)

image.png.f24bc8a1c2f08e36ae9096d6f8a728b0.pngimage.thumb.png.04958c8ae8a58953a55a6be2b469337a.png

46 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

One of my favorite things with FLL is that when I fly in the day before if I am sailing on a weekend is to try to time the arrival of my flight with sail away times for the ships in port that day...sit on the right side of the airplane, and you might see an incredible, jaw dropping view of a ship in the Stranahan River making way to sea. I have nailed it twice...once with a sailing from Port Everlgades and another time with a sailing from Port Miami. You increase the likelihood if your sailing is on Sunday, and you fly in on Saturday.

The first time, Freedom had a late sail away, and it was fairly dark, and she was lit up like a Christmas tree...and while she is no longer the largest ship, she is a monstrosity from the altitude just before landing (I saw her from  about where the Stranahan River words are in the pic below). My only regret is that I couldn't get my camera app working in time to take a pic. It happened pretty fast.

The second time, I saw an HAL ship, I think it was a Niew Amsterdam class ship...not Freedom, but impressive nonetheless.

This certainly doesn't answer @NancyL2648's question, but gives a picture of how close the airport is to Port Everglades, and hilites one of the things I love about cruising, and the anticipation of embarkation day. If there are ships docked while you fly in, very often you can see them if they are docked in the northern part of the port from Terminal 18 to the north which I hilited in yellow. You're almost directly above many of the other ships docked in the river, and due to the angle if you are landing on 27R (most likely), you can't see them all from the air. If you fly commuter, you might land on 27L, which would give an amazing view of the entire port, but I haven't done that yet.

(I just realized that this reply reveals that I am a goober)

image.png.f24bc8a1c2f08e36ae9096d6f8a728b0.pngimage.thumb.png.04958c8ae8a58953a55a6be2b469337a.png

Naa, a true “goober” would know how to get to “the rocks”. Yes, the view of the ships is great from the air but if you have the time & the know how to navigate the Harbour Isle neighborhood & get to the rocks for a sail away you will not regret it. Bring a couple cold beers and a camera. 

95154D1A-1B9D-4A91-B9C6-F89469B22343.jpeg

4 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Naa, a true “goober” would know how to get to “the rocks”. Yes, the view of the ships is great from the air but if you have the time & the know how to navigate the Harbour Isle neighborhood & get to the rocks for a sail away you will not regret it. Bring a couple cold beers and a camera. 

95154D1A-1B9D-4A91-B9C6-F89469B22343.jpeg

While I have been to Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park on the other side during sail aways, I get that it pales in comparison to the rocks...maybe some day soon.