Will the Big 3 Work in Unison?

Neesa

Thinking out loud here and would love some thoughts. The big three cruise lines Royal, Carnival, NCL (maybe DCL they never seem to be part of the conversation as far as cruise lines go) They all have different resume sailing dates. Do they work feverishly to be the first company sailing when the no sail order is lifted? Do they drag their feet to see how the first one fares? Are they all working together to put in place similar or identical mitigation? Basically, are they united in the common goal of bringing everyone back staff as well as patrons?

At a time like this do they root for each other? They are all lumped together when the ignorant masses call them floating p. dishes (I hate even typing that, so untrue) I am hoping they ban together and re emerge healthier then ever before, and now that the masses are even more aware of the hygiene working together; can come back better then ever. I just think together they can be a force not to be messed with.  Be safe and stay healthy! 

cats sailor GIF

I think we, the general public, don't really see them working together, but I (perhaps wishfully) think that's what CLIA is for; they can all come together as members of the industry and work together on some sort of united response as they as a whole seek a return to normalcy. And it's gotta be extra hard, considering all the "FPD" comments from folks who don't or hardly ever cruise.

I like to think that they're rival companies, but not so cut-throat that they wish one of their numbers to fail, simply because in this case, the fallout could spread.

13 hours ago, J-Fitz said:

Pure speculation from me but I don’t think any of the major cruise lines want to be the first ones that return to sailing. It just seems way more advantageous to let someone else go first and either adopt things they are doing or learn from mistakes made in the first sailings. 

I agree.  No one wants to be first.  The absolute worst case scenario here is having another outbreak on an early sailing after re-starting.  The press coverage would be apocalyptic.  Honestly, I doubt the affected cruiseline would survive.  I truly believe it would be that bad.  

On 4/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, Neesa said:

At a time like this do they root for each other?

Yes, to some extent I think they do.

I don't think it is any coincidence a lot of the decisions lately about cancelling cruises from the Big 3 come within days of each other. The work with the CDC for new cruise lines is absolutely done in tandem.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, Neesa said:

maybe DCL they never seem to be part of the conversation as far as cruise lines go

That's because Disney thinks they are special and can do their own thing because they are Disney. Don't get me started on their "holier than thou" attitude.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:56 PM, J-Fitz said:

Pure speculation from me but I don’t think any of the major cruise lines want to be the first ones that return to sailing.

To some extent, I agree, but I also believe that cruises will resume after other aspects of regular life start up again. 

We're already seeing some rumblings about certain things reopening (See the Stage of Georgia for exhibit A). So by the time cruises resume, they should not be the first business back.

That probably wont stop the media from treating it like Godzilla moving across the ocean towards Japan, but it may soften the blow if the pendulum of everyday life is swinging back.