Airport Transfers from Port Everglades Ft. Lauderdale

Has anyone done airport transfer using RCC from Port Everglades? If yes was it pretty smooth process. If No did you use another service? I am playing traveling agent for this cruise which happens to be our first away from our home port in Galveston. Normally I hope off boat, get in car and drive home in record time.

I am worried we may get to airport to early (flight is at 4pm) but that maybe a blessing in disguise.

The airport is less than 1 mile from the cruise port. I am local to Fort Lauderdale and recommend taxi cab to and from. On the outbound that's a lot of time (4pm departure). Your better off taking a cab to the beach and having lunch before heading to airport. I see tons of cruise passengers with luggage in tow all over Fort Lauderdale beach each and every weekend so you won't look out of place. Good thing to keep in mind is that Fort Lauderdale is not a traffic inflicted nightmare like some of the other metro ports, you can pretty much get to the airport from anywhere in greater Fort Lauderdale in less than 20 min. Enjoy.

I too took a taxi upon arrival in FLL to Port Everglades. It cost 23 $ but there was a little bit of waiting at the first security gate. And then, a lot of outgoing trafic has we were trying to come into pier 18. At the end of the cruise, the taxi back to FLL only cost $ 13.

• 1 year later...

@tonyfsu21 , what about transfer to Miami for FLL pier? Flight was cheaper going home from Miami than it was from FLL.

Cost is really not an issue, Transfer service, Limo? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I read that is about a 45 minute drive from FLL to Miami airport?

Cruise will be disembarking on a Sunday morning.

15 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

@tonyfsu21 , what about transfer to Miami for FLL pier? Flight was cheaper going home from Miami than it was from FLL.

Cost is really not an issue, Transfer service, Limo? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I read that is about a 45 minute drive from FLL to Miami airport?

On a Sun you can get from PE to Miami international airport in 30-40min. I would recommend Uber or a taxi cab for sure w/ Uber being the preferred option.

We took an Uber and it was under $10 for the 2 of us.  We chose the carpool option and two others joined us for the ride.  The ship transfer was around $17pp.  

Originally, we had a 7pm flight and were supposed to meet friends for lunch who were going to then drop us off at the airport.  Our friends had to cancel, and we decided we had no interest in dragging luggage around with us all day so we moved our flight up to 3pm and just hung out at the airport.  We were thinking about going to Las Olas for lunch first, but the thought of the luggage was just too much of a bother for us.

14 hours ago, tiny260 said:

John, we just did this 2 weeks ago.  We took the ship's bus service from the port to MIA but probably next time I will just do a taxi.  

We are flying in/out of MIA again at Thanksgiving for an Allure cruise b/c the airfare was not only cheaper but nonstop as opposed to a layover.

Not that long ago it was almost always cheaper to fly into FLL than MIA and now that has reversed.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

15 hours ago, tiny260 said:

John, we just did this 2 weeks ago.  We took the ship's bus service from the port to MIA but probably next time I will just do a taxi.  

Thanks Raye, I started thinking back, last time I cruised out of Port Everglades was 2012 so I'm a little rusty...

I have a question also about transport we will be on IOS TA on 29th October and when we reach Port  FLL we are going to stay in Miami on Ocean Drive for a few  days before we fly back to the UK. So we were looking for advice about transport as we are not sure 1/ How long it takes to get through Customs  2/ what the cost would be or would we just be able do get a taxi outside the Terminal . I would book a car but not sure how long it will take us to get through passport control. 

Thanks in advance for any help

All great help.  Haven't sailed since my honeymoon, 17 years ago.  bringing the wife and kids on a cruise in June.  Coming from LA to PE though, so we're gonna come a day early, leave a day later as well.  Is it easier to fly into/out of FLL or MIA??  I was only looking at FLL until i realized MIA was only 30-40 minutes away.  Any recommendations?

15 hours ago, miotti said:

1/ How long it takes to get through Customs

Depends on when you dis-embark, if it's busy or not, I would allow at least an hour, by the time you walk off the ship, claim your bags and go through customs.

2/ what the cost would be or would we just be able do get a taxi outside the Terminal .

You should be able to get a taxi outside the terminal, one of the locals may have to tell you the cost, but it was quoted to my original post that a taxi ride from the pier to Miami airport would cost approximately $100, I don't know how much closer or further Ocean drive is to the pier. I decided to hire a private car to take me from the Pier to Miami airport and it was $90.

I have a question also about transport we will be on IOS TA on 29th October and when we reach Port  FLL we are going to stay in Miami on Ocean Drive for a few  days before we fly back to the UK. So we were looking for advice about transport as we are not sure 1/ How long it takes to get through Customs  2/ what the cost would be or would we just be able do get a taxi outside the Terminal . I would book a car but not sure how long it will take us to get through passport control. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Customs times vary quite a bit, and can be a bit longer on TA repositionings.

As far as the cost of a taxi, this article breaks down the costs via taxi, uber, and cruise line transfers, and goes over options for getting between several South Florida destinations.  http://www.cruisehabit.com/uber-lyft-cabs-shuttles-how-get-and-your-cruise-easily-cheaply

21 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Depends on when you dis-embark, if it's busy or not, I would allow at least an hour, by the time you walk off the ship, claim your bags and go through customs.

You should be able to get a taxi outside the terminal, one of the locals may have to tell you the cost, but it was quoted to my original post that a taxi ride from the pier to Miami airport would cost approximately $100, I don't know how much closer or further Ocean drive is to the pier. I decided to hire a private car to take me from the Pier to Miami airport and it was $90.

A $100 taxi ride from PE to MIA seems very unreasonable. Uber from my house (downtown Fort Lauderdale next to PE) to South beach is only $30.00.