Disney World

Message added by monorailmedic

Note from Mod Team: To be clear, Disney has not announced any park re-open dates, nor have they said it won't be in 2020.  Ananlysts have speculated that this is a possibility - but not an official announcement.

Disney World announced yesterday that they will not be reopening until next year 2021.  That makes me worry about cruises this fall.  Our cruise is Oct 8th (New England-Canada) and we are now looking into cancelling or waiting it out to see if RCI will cancel.  Hubby had a heart condition and we have decided that it is not worth the risk.  I am hopeful to reschedule with FCC for next fall.  This is so stressful trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

9 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

Disney World announced yesterday that they will not be reopening until next year 2021.  That makes me worry about cruises this fall.  Our cruise is Oct 8th (New England-Canada) and we are now looking into cancelling or waiting it out to see if RCI will cancel.  Hubby had a heart condition and we have decided that it is not worth the risk.  I am hopeful to reschedule with FCC for next fall.  This is so stressful trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

DO you have a link to this news?

Yes it is.  I was getting ready for work when I heard it (listening and not watching) so I missing the part that the analyst was speculating.  However, I'm sure that it will be a possibility. If not, they will have to drastically change how they do things for sure.  My Grandson is getting married October 24th of this year and they planned to do a Disney World Honeymoon so this is why it catch my ear this morning in the first place.

11 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

And they call cruise ships petri dishes.

Heck, The Mouse House can specifically, the Magic Kingdom, can hold 100,000 people at max cap. 

And yet, people will flock back on Day One. And implementing social-distancing rules for crowds like that in a place that is full of lines...that's going to be a monumental task. And yet, people seem to think it's somehow better than a cruise ship. Sadly, I think it's partly because a lot of people have very limited experience with cruises and because Disney World's parks are revered temples of Americana. Going to Disney is a cultural and generational milestone for many.

If Disney and cruises halt until 2021, I can't even imagine what that will mean for the economy of Central Florida. ?

15 minutes ago, Marlena said:

As my husband has said, have a higher chance of catching it at Disney. Bit higher chance of trip getting ruined on a cruise . If someone has it confirmed at Disney you find out after and its like oh well. But 1 sick person on a cruise could screw it up for everyone.

That being said, still hoping to cruise in dec! 

Agree with both points.  This summer we had 4 days at Disney followed by 4 night Mariner cruise.  Sadly, doesn't look like either will happen.

With Disney, you have people going on rides that many people were on right before you. You touch the handrail to hold during the ride on or just when get into your seat, and if anyone before you had it, then it's passed (if you touch your mouth, etc before washing hands, you wipe off sweat, etc ).  Not sure how they can get around that.

But a cruise, everyone is in the same place and can't escape so then everyone is quarantined.

It baffles me how any theme park will open at all after this. I saw emails from universal to pass holders saying they plan to open 20% , 40%, 70% so on and so forth. Maybe for parks like universal only have 20% occupancy may not be that bad but Disney could never do that. The are known to back every park to the brink.

Opening a Disney park at 20% id imagine a good number of rides shows and dining would be closed since with so few people why would Disney pay it's castmembers to all be there. 

Theme parks just seem doomed to me unless covid suddenly disappears forever.

27 minutes ago, Marlena said:

As my husband has said, have a higher chance of catching it at Disney. Bit higher chance of trip getting ruined on a cruise . If someone has it confirmed at Disney you find out after and its like oh well. But 1 sick person on a cruise could screw it up for everyone.

That being said, still hoping to cruise in dec! 

HA! We have been on 4 cruises never ONCE got Norovirus... first time in WDW it ran through our entire family... ? 

12 minutes ago, ellipses127 said:

HA! We have been on 4 cruises never ONCE got Norovirus... first time in WDW it ran through our entire family... ? 

knock on wood for our family as well!!!  The Indy came back in Dec 2017 with 322 and we were on the next sailing for Christmas no less, we did not get it.  It's call good hygiene. 

25 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Agree with both points.  This summer we had 4 days at Disney followed by 4 night Mariner cruise.  Sadly, doesn't look like either will happen.

With Disney, you have people going on rides that many people were on right before you. You touch the handrail to hold during the ride on or just when get into your seat, and if anyone before you had it, then it's passed (if you touch your mouth, etc before washing hands, you wipe off sweat, etc ).  Not sure how they can get around that.

But a cruise, everyone is in the same place and can't escape so then everyone is quarantined.

That's why I think the CLIA has a right to say the cruise line industry is getting pick on vs other industries similar to them. 

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

Our cruise is Oct 8th (New England-Canada)

Leave Disney out of the scenario because Disney is Disney.  You are comparing apples to oranges.

The thing for you is the question when will Canada open up for the cruise lines?  If Royal is back to sailing, but Canada is closed, what will the itinerary look like?  Maybe RCL will say that they will not be going to NE/Canada and instead just go to Bermuda/Bahamas/Coco Cay.

This happens a lot in the late summer/early fall.  We were suppose to go to Bermuda, 48 hrs prior they emailed us and said we were going to NE.  The point being is....if Canada does not open up, and RCL is sailing you can see your route change at the very last moment, are you still willing to sail with whatever they decide?  They may decide to still go north, but just not Canada.  They may decide to go to Bahamas and Coco cay.

1 minute ago, RBRSKI said:

That's why I think the CLIA has a right to say the cruise line industry is getting pick on vs other industries similar to them. 

I agree.

I honestly would have no issue getting on a cruise ship the day after they were allowed to sail.  However, I have a caveat.  I must be able to drive to the port.  I fly often.  No way do I want to travel on an airplane and it is not just about the cleanliness of the plane, it is about the airport cleanliness.  Ask yourself when was the last time you saw anyone wipe down the chairs you sit on outside the gate?  

@Pima1988 that's what gets me I've never seen it. But my family and friends who've traveled with over the years on airplanes can attest that I clean the chairs in the terminal and my husband will roll his eyes while saying yes that I wipe down all three or two seats in our row , window, and tray table. This I've done for years 

They make travel size Lysol wipes for people like me I suppose. I also do a quick wipe down of the cabin each day on the cruise

2 hours ago, whitsmom said:

Saw it on Fox News this morning and a two co-workers saw it on TV yesterday.  I will see if I can find a link.

Sorry but that's Disney LAND.. In California... Not in Orlando.. Disney World in Orlando is still planning to open this year. 

2 hours ago, mook1525 said:

Well, Disney didn't announce anything.  that is just one analyst speculating...  no?

I have the read the article 3 times and there isn't anything in there that says Disney announced they are not reopening.   The title says "may not" and "Wall Street analyst says".  I'm not finding this a credible article.   If someone finds an announcement from Disney, can you please post?

1 hour ago, tcneal said:

I have the read the article 3 times and there isn't anything in there that says Disney announced they are not reopening.   The title says "may not" and "Wall Street analyst says".  I'm not finding this a credible article.   If someone finds an announcement from Disney, can you please post?

I live in South Florida and I am a big Disney Fan.. Disney has made NO announcement that they are not reopening until next year.. In fact the president of Disney Parks is on the Governor's task force along with the President for universal studios on how to RE Open their parks.. That article is pure speculation.. Also it pertains more to Disneyland because their governor is being far more strict than Florida's.. I could see Disney being open July 1 along with cruise lines.. I know Royal said June 11 but I kind of think Cruising won't open until about July 14... Anyway back to Disney if I hear any official Disney announcements I will post but like I said I think they are trying to open in July.. 

3 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I live in South Florida and I am a big Disney Fan.. Disney has made NO announcement that they are not reopening until next year.. In fact the president of Disney Parks is on the Governor's task force along with the President for universal studios on how to RE Open their parks.. That article is pure speculation.. Also it pertains more to Disneyland because their governor is being far more strict than Florida's.. I could see Disney being open July 1 along with cruise lines.. I know Royal said June 11 but I kind of think Cruising won't open until about July 14... Anyway back to Disney if I hear any official Disney announcements I will post but like I said I think they are trying to open in July.. 

It’s another guy just trying to manipulate the stock market for his own gain. If you ever want a laugh just read some of the old Jim Cramer articles where he talks about tossing out random fake Apple news to get the stock down. 

8 hours ago, whitsmom said:

Saw it on Fox News this morning and a two co-workers saw it on TV yesterday.  I will see if I can find a link.

Unfortunately, that network has a lot of misinformation.  You might check another news outlet and see if they have confirmed.  Other networks insist on two sources before they run a story.

But the main point is that travel will likely be limited for awhile--whether to resorts or other destinations.  I hope you can cruise in October or whenever you reschedule.

3 hours ago, Kcusack89 said:

@AGSLC5 every time I see south Florida's covid numbers a cringe and can't imagine anyone cruising out of port Miami or port Everglades any time soon. I'm thinking more September.

Have a cruise in October so def hoping for that

So I live about 15 min from Port Everglades and I obviously stay home as much as possible but here is where I think we have a problem. Florida was really behind in the testing game and we are now trying to catch up. I personally think that's why our numbers keep going up and up because our hospitalization is starting to plateau. I actually think cruising could resume mid July if cruise lines put the proper protocol in place.. I happen to have a cruise booked for end of July and hope to go but at this point who knows. If cruise lines resume and let me I am def going. I am not scared. I know the risks and willing to take them but I respect anyone who is afraid and does not want to go now. My feeling is our government won't allow cruises to resume until they feel its safe enough so once they give the OK I am willing to take the gamble. Will that be in July? I have no idea but I hope so. But like I said anyone who is nervous or doesn't want to go I totally get it I just know for me as soon as cruise lines reopen I am planning on going as well. 

Moderator Note

It's clear now that this was not an announcement from Disney but analyst speculation.  We're all clear on this now and the thread has been annotated up at the top to avoid confusion.  It is of course important to verify information, but mistakes happen.  Now that we're all clear, lets have some friendly chat as I research how to hypnotize myself into believing I'm on a ship.

9 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

So I live about 15 min from Port Everglades and I obviously stay home as much as possible but here is where I think we have a problem. Florida was really behind in the testing game and we are now trying to catch up. I personally think that's why our numbers keep going up and up because our hospitalization is starting to plateau. I actually think cruising could resume mid July if cruise lines put the proper protocol in place.. I happen to have a cruise booked for end of July and hope to go but at this point who knows. If cruise lines resume and let me I am def going. I am not scared. I know the risks and willing to take them but I respect anyone who is afraid and does not want to go now. My feeling is our government won't allow cruises to resume until they feel its safe enough so once they give the OK I am willing to take the gamble. Will that be in July? I have no idea but I hope so. But like I said anyone who is nervous or doesn't want to go I totally get it I just know for me as soon as cruise lines reopen I am planning on going as well. 

Music to my ears. I agree with everything you said. As far as behind on testing that makes.sense. basically the whole country is plateauing even NYC. I'm very optimistic that social distancing my be lifted by July!

20 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Florida was really behind in the testing game and we are now trying to catch up. I personally think that's why our numbers keep going up and up because our hospitalization is starting to plateau.

Agree. Spring break happened, beaches remained open due to local and state governments. No telling how many people may have caught it here but took it to somewhere else. We're definitely behind on testing because testing isn't available to everyone, but catching up. Hospitalizations due to Covid starting to decline in our area, thankfully. Hopefully things done have helped to minimize what happens next.