There is a lot more going on off the coast of Coco Cay...

Apparently there is s a lot more going on off the coast of Coco Cay than you might think. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33090/how-american-and-allied-submarines-regularly-fight-to-the-death-off-the-bahamas

1459FF38-C1C5-4585-8C3B-97F311116C03.thumb.jpeg.e0c7f12b42da67287018990cc4f20df4.jpeg

That’s right, there is a US Navy shallows/mine field training area just to the west of a Coco Cay.  I had known about the much larger deep water training area to the south but the minefield was news to me.  
The facility that support these areas, AUTEC, was used to support the US response to Hurricane Dorian.

6AED4941-AD9B-4C23-893F-4E5ACE4BF332.thumb.jpeg.1e56a17e26ee18e51045b497b7e0dc82.jpeg

How cool would it be to see a sub surfacing while cruising near Coco Cay?

Once upon a time, I daydreamed about being a U.S. Navy submarine skipper, so I've known about AUTEC for a very long time; but, like @StayFrosty, the mine field/shallow testing area was news to me...though it makes sense as an additional testing ground for sub skipper skills with the evolution of warfare to a more littoral setting.

Wandering too far the wrong direction would lead to one Bad Day at CocoCay! ?

17 minutes ago, bobroo said:

I'd love to scuba in a minefield!

But if they ain't real mines, I'll take a pass. I guess I'll have to stay with the same ol' stinging jellyfish to test my buoyancy skills. :0(

I got my deep water certification at a quarry they converted to a scuba lake in east Texas. They have a couple replica mines, in addition to a lot of sunken vehicles and sculptures. Great for compass skills.