What is the best Travel Insurance?

Matt31

Hey everyone, 

My fiancee and I are looking at booking our second cruise of the year for our honeymoon at the end of September-beginning of October, just curious what you all have had good experiences with or have found to be good pricing on travel insurance? I've had the insurance through RCI before but have heard many cons lately about getting the insurance directly through the company you are traveling with. Any suggestions to look into would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

There are multiple plans but we use GeoBlue for our travel insurance. Lower cost, multiple plans with low or zero deductible. Covers what Royal insurance does but up to 1,000,000 coverage. Royal gives you 25,000. It is through Blue Cross Blue Shield but you do not have to have BCBS to get the travel insurance. For our kid's family of 4  (they are over 40 and g'kids are 8 and 10) I paid $74 for full coverage and zero deductible.

We use Travel Insured but (knock on wood) we haven't had a need to use their coverages yet. It was $124 for the two of us - trip cancelleation for any reason. The RC wasn't really appealing since I don't believe they give you cash back. Plus, if you go with a third-party, you can use the same company for other types of vacations too.

You will probably get many different answers since there's not really a one-size-fits-all choice. However, I think everyone would mostly agree to make sure that the coverage you choose definitely contains a policy on emergency medical evacuation. Most of them do but just double-check. That is probably one of the single-most expensive item when dealing with a medical emergency - having to be flown on a chopper to the nearest metro hospital and/or finding a medivac flight back home.

Good luck with your research!

On 4/20/2020 at 6:02 PM, Matt31 said:

Hey everyone, 

My fiancee and I are looking at booking our second cruise of the year for our honeymoon at the end of September-beginning of October, just curious what you all have had good experiences with or have found to be good pricing on travel insurance? I've had the insurance through RCI before but have heard many cons lately about getting the insurance directly through the company you are traveling with. Any suggestions to look into would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

We have used Royal's contractor, Allianz, and others.  If you need good medical coverage, as previously stated, avoid Royal's coverage.  However, Royal does have a "cancel for any reason" feature that may be appealing if medical coverage isn't that important.  For frequent travelers, Allianz has an annual premium package.   There are really many providers of travel insurance, especially medical coverage.