return to cruising

Has there been anything said about what the new norm is going to be for Cruise Ships once they get released. Like will we be required wear masks? Take temp everyday or before we are allow in  common areas? Seating at dinning? Think there will be requirement for a doctor letter for everyone over 50 (WHICH CAN BE ALMOST EVRYONE) Windjammer even be open? Thoughts???

@cookie10*  Wow, I was thinking about this same topic. Will they limit the amount of passengers and sail less full?  Will there be a limit of people on an elevator (I like that one, "hey we can fit," uh no you can't) Tables removed from the dining rooms? Theater seats every third seat skipping rows in between? No more "I washed my hands in my cabin" (when entering the Wind Jammer how many times have I heard that statement;) yuck!  I am sure they are going to implement some new things, but honestly I for one will welcome them. I am hyper aware of behaviors and my family knows when I gently push them in a certain direction to just go with it in silence....I witnessed something I was not keen on sharing. Maybe good clean habits can turn into the new normal, oh now that would be lovely.

Be safe & stay healthy everyone, 

Sick Black And White GIF by Fleischer Studios

I think you take a play book from how Disney started their reopening. You have to do it in waves. The first few sailings will surely not be at full capacity, and honestly many people will opt to not go on their cruises anyway so that works. 

• Spread out all Dining seats and tables. 
  • same goes for the pool area. That have capacity limits 
  • activities like escape rooms may not be open immediately
  • Hand washing EVERYWHERE 

The first few cruises are the most important. The media goes crazy if somethingCOVID related happens on those cruises. Unfair as that may be it’s the unfortunate reality. I just want everyone to be safe and happy. 

One of my biggest concerns is the potential for a societal prejudice against cruises as a result of the media campaign to demonize cruise lines that results in employers and organizations subjecting employees and members to a 2 week imposed quarantine after taking a cruise. I may be way ahead of myself here, but uninformed employers could prevent even the most dedicated cruise afficianados from enjoying their vacation of choice. This could truly be negative for the cruise industry.

9 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

One of my biggest concerns is the potential for a societal prejudice against cruises as a result of the media campaign to demonize cruise lines that results in employers and organizations subjecting employees and members to a 2 week imposed quarantine after taking a cruise. I may be way ahead of myself here, but uninformed employers could prevent even the most dedicated cruise afficianados from enjoying their vacation of choice. This could truly be negative for the cruise industry.

I'm very concerned about this at my workplace.

12 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I can see this happening where I work

32 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Sadly I 100% agree that we will be stuck dealing with that. 

3 hours ago, cookie10* said:

Has there been anything said about what the new norm is going to be for Cruise Ships once they get released. 

I have seen myself, a number of "some" valid speculations or suggestions, of measures that may come in play down the line...but, have not seen anything definite. That's not to say, there's no guidelines in place for the industry to sign off on...I just haven't seen any.

Well based on the plan T*&^% has passed down, we can look forward to scaled down everything. I do believe a lot of companies will place a stigma on cruises, which sucks because those same companies won't be doing the same for amusement parks, concerts or air travel. I don't know if it will be the same as @J-Fitz outlined but I think it will be tests and space. Right now the CTA, Chicago transit, is all about space. No more than 15 people on a bus that normally holds 40+ and I feel like that will go for cruises. Maybe half pax capacity but only if testing data is available. I wouldn't be surprised if they make you take temps and provide starting 15 days before embarkment. This thing is here to stay and if we want cruising to come back something is going to have to give.

3 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

A couple of things that I have thought of with regard to this:  I don't know that your employer can force you to disclose what you are doing on vacation.  Second this could get real crazy real fast with the freedoms we have in the Constitution.  

3 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

A couple of things that I have thought of with regard to this:  I don't know that your employer can force you to disclose what you are doing on vacation.  Second this could get real crazy real fast with the freedoms we have in the Constitution.  

I believe employers may claim they are keeping the workplace safe and may be safe-guarded by OSH Act. There are many new Covid-19 guidelines in place by OSHA. 

I don’t think it will be the employers asking where people are going but after the fact nervous coworkers telling their bosses that someone went on plane or cruise and they feel unsafe.

Being very honest, I think it’s only the people here on this board who want cruising to resume. Everybody else??? “Boy do I need a vacation!” Is NOT what they are saying.. It’s more like “I’d really like to get back to my normal routine of a work week, an occasional movie, a meal at a favorite restaurant, and to go shopping without the worry of death.’

I just don’t see a market for vacations anywhere in the near term.

I apologize for the hurt feelings in advance.

25 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Being very honest, I think it’s only the people here on this board who want cruising to resume. Everybody else??? “Boy do I need a vacation!” Is NOT what they are saying.. It’s more like “I’d really like to get back to my normal routine of a work week, an occasional movie, a meal at a favorite restaurant, and to go shopping without the worry of death.’

I just don’t see a market for vacations anywhere in the near term.

I apologize for the hurt feelings in advance.

This is so true, lots of people will be more concerned with whether they will still have a job not what type of cabin to book once lockdown is lifted. 

Also Social distancing will be here for a long time yet, its been stated that it could be up to 2 years before things return to some sort of normality, i cannot comment on other countries but the company i work for in UK has stated that once lockdown is lifted those employees either working from home or on furlough will not all return at same time! They will be reintroduced to the workplace gradually to reduce the risks involved, you only have to look at Japan and Singapore last week to see that even without restrictions being lifted a 2nd wave can hit at anytime. 

In my opinion the cruises for the rest of this year ( if they happen ) will probably be half full, yes there are those who will cruise as soon as they can because they want to while others wont due to the risks involved,  however RC may also decide to reduce the capacity of ships to further reduce the risks,  as has been mentioned last thing they need is more bad press. 

@Ray One of the many long lasting outcomes of Covid- 19 is working from home and that for many companies it has been a positive experience. Forced en mass working offsite in many cases has turned out effective, adequate, and with great corporate  cost savings. So I think a lot of people will never return to “traditional work environments”.

From here on out a lot of firms will not require the same office space needs and the necessity of automobiles is going to substantially drop. 

So Royal Caribbean your $300M new Miami office building? It’s a complete waste.

Again I apologize in advance, I know the above newsflash is going to be hard for many to take.

4 hours ago, J-Fitz said:

I believe employers may claim they are keeping the workplace safe and may be safe-guarded by OSH Act. There are many new Covid-19 guidelines in place by OSHA. 

I don’t think it will be the employers asking where people are going but after the fact nervous coworkers telling their bosses that someone went on plane or cruise and they feel unsafe.

Unless cruising and air travel are banned, which by the way is what is the goal for some of the political side on this, my work cannot stop me from doing what I want on vacation, and I don't have to tell anyone at work what I am doing on my vacation.  The US Constitution protects Americans from just this sort of stuff (free speech, freedom to associate, ect).

This thing has gone way beyond a contagious illness.  It has become a boogeyman.  If they are going to ban cruising, I will be the first to join a class action forcing Disney to close.  Then sporting events.  Then concerts, movies, theater.  Next bars and restaurants.  Workplaces. 

If I have to, I'll start a Church that meets only on cruise ships.  How are they going to tell me I can't practice the religion of my choice?

My point is, in the end, they can't force Americans off of ships or out of planes for an extended period of time.  During a National Emergency... yes.  There may be new health guidelines, but unless cruises are put out of business, they can't ban American citizens from cruising or force them to disclose where they go on vacation.

19 minutes ago, RCVoyager said:

Unless cruising and air travel are banned, which by the way is what is the goal for some of the political side on this, my work cannot stop me from doing what I want on vacation, and I don't have to tell anyone at work what I am doing on my vacation.  The US Constitution protects Americans from just this sort of stuff (free speech, freedom to associate, ect).

This thing has gone way beyond a contagious illness.  It has become a boogeyman.  If they are going to ban cruising, I will be the first to join a class action forcing Disney to close.  Then sporting events.  Then concerts, movies, theater.  Next bars and restaurants.  Workplaces. 

If I have to, I'll start a Church that meets only on cruise ships.  How are they going to tell me I can't practice the religion of my choice?

My point is, in the end, they can't force Americans off of ships or out of planes for an extended period of time.  During a National Emergency... yes.  There may be new health guidelines, but unless cruises are put out of business, they can't ban American citizens from cruising or force them to disclose where they go on vacation.

Unless you work for a government agency, then the US constitution has nothing to do with how your employer treats you.  It simply doesn't apply to the private employer-employee relationship.  

Your employer might not be able to tell you where you can or can't go on vacation, but they absolutely can impose limits on your return to the office.  So your 7-night cruise might cost you 21 days of vacation.  If you're lucky, your employer will let you work the 14 days of quarantine from home...but they don't have to.  

8 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Unless you work for a government agency, then the US constitution has nothing to do with how your employer treats you.  It simply doesn't apply to the private employer-employee relationship.  

Your employer might not be able to tell you where you can or can't go on vacation, but they absolutely can impose limits on your return to the office.  So your 7-night cruise might cost you 21 days of vacation.  If you're lucky, your employer will let you work the 14 days of quarantine from home...but they don't have to.  

They can not force me to tell them where I'm going on vacation.

Once society completely open, it will be open. There won't be any # of days quarantine if one go somewhere...that would be completely preposterous. Imagine, if you will, if you went to church, a game, Disney Land/World, 6Flags, theater or movie, restaurant, bar, dance club, or party...ride a bus, train, subway, plane, cruise...any number of places where people conjugate in large or small numbers or crowds like at a stadium, arena, or amusement park. The sheer number of people that would have to self-quarantine, on a daily basis is completely not practical & un-enforceable.

Once society opens...it's open. There will probably be some strings attached I'm sure...we seem to have liberties stripped a little at a time; but, keep in mind, many of our Representatives(not leaders) are already trying to open stadiums up for crowds of fans.

24 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Once society completely open, it will be open. There won't be any # of days quarantine if one go somewhere...that would be completely preposterous. Imagine, if you will, if you went to church, a game, Disney Land/World, 6Flags, theater or movie, restaurant, bar, dance club, or party...ride a bus, train, subway, plane, cruise...any number of places where conjugate in large or small numbers or crowds like at a stadium, arena, or amusement park. The sheer number of people that would have self-quarantine, on a daily basis is completely not practical & un-enforceable

Given the extremely bad press directed at cruises right now, you could imagine people who take cruises being subjected to heightened restrictions when they return even if that doesn't really make rational sense.  Sure, all of those other things you named could also expose one to the virus, but none of them are getting hammered in the press like the "floating petri dishes" of the cruise industry. 

Society at large is very anti-cruise right now.  Some people I've spoken with are basically horrified to hear that I'd even consider taking another cruise.  And while in general I don't care about their opinions, I would have to care to some extent if it was my boss.

23 minutes ago, danv3 said:

But they can fire you for not answering.

And they can be sued for discrimination for firing someone FOR GOING ON A CRUISE, BUT NOT FIRING SOMEONE FROM GOING TO DISNEY.  It's not going to happen.  

If cruising goes down all of America will go down.  And I recognize, this is what some want.  Thank God certain recent situations worked out the way they did, because two decisions made by a current decision maker related to who ultimately decides what is allowed and what is not would look very different if some other person made the two decisions as to who ultimately decides what is allowed and what is not.

1 hour ago, MinnesotaCruiser said:

Can they fire me if I lie?  How would anyone know if I never posted pics online or never told anyone where I was going in my workplace?

Are they going to hire a team of investigators to follow all employees who go on vacation?  What happens if they follow me but don't follow my coworker and we find out my coworker went of a cruise?  What happens if there is a chartered Christian cruise?  Are they going to try to control my religion?  Planes? What about ferry boats?  If ferry boats aren't allowed, what about city buses?  Subways?  City trains? What happens if I don't go on a cruise but my wife goes on a girls trip cruise?  Do I have to report this to my employer?  What happens if the boss' in-laws go on a cruise and then host Easter at their house one week later?  Does he/she have to go into quarantine?  I sometimes get semi severe sinus issues that come with a low grade fever in April and May.  Are they going to ban Spring?  There is no end to the possibilities all that are started by artificially singling out one industry. This is not going to happen.  

In the next month or so the National Emergency will end.  New cleanliness, behavioral,  and health standards will be put in place by most of society including cruising.  Eventually their will be a vaccine for this epidemic, but what about the next one? 

Because of the "floating petri dish" mantra propagated those with an agenda and the ignorant, the cruise lines will suffer for the next couple of years.  Out of that suffering will come many good rates for those of us who choose to return.  Unfortunately many new ships, upgrades, and other projects like private island development will be shelved. 

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

Given the extremely bad press directed at cruises right now, you could imagine people who take cruises being subjected to heightened restrictions when they return even if that doesn't really make rational sense.  Sure, all of those other things you named could also expose one to the virus, but none of them are getting hammered in the press like the "floating petri dishes" of the cruise industry. 

Society at large is very anti-cruise right now.  Some people I've spoken with are basically horrified to hear that I'd even consider taking another cruise.  And while in general I don't care about their opinions, I would have to care to some extent if it was my boss.

I agree...there will be some changes, to the requirements, to board a ship; I would say that will mirror the "Airlines". I also expect to see some changes in cruise industry specific procedures, like no more self-serving at buffet style eateries(Windjammer for ex.). Again however, when the country & society opens back up & the engine of the country resumes; it is open...with some loss of liberties we once enjoyed; but no doubt, fully open. The media is already inundating us, "Life in a New America".

I disagree however, that society at large is very "anti-cruise"...the media certainly appear to be. I give you that; but, society as a whole, I disagree. Yes, I expect "class envy" to play even more of a part these days, with employers & fellow employees. Those that have concerns about backlash or suggested frowns, may be valid; I don't know...will it be different if they knew you was attending a sold out game or concert, Disney...another societal attitude one has to deal with.

Like drug testing, it's about what you bring into the work environment not what you did.

Employers have superseding rights to keep their employees and workplaces safe.

FYI, cruise ships also have superseding rights to keep their vessels safe. An argument that you would allow a cruise ship some type of examination or background information before getting on their vessel so that "you could go on vacation" yet not allow the same information or exam when you get back to work because somehow your rights have been violated(???)..... the court orders a summary judgement in favor of the defendant  <gavel loudly hits wood> Next!  And by the way, don't bring this frivolous garbage in front of me again.

4 minutes ago, RCVoyager said:

This is a completely different discussion than an employer stating that employees can't go on a cruise.  

It's the exact same discussion.

You are entitled to be as reckless and stupid as you want to be, but you are not entitled to allow your recklessness or stupidity to affect others.

You've recently been on a beach in Florida? Been on a cruise? Went inside a retirement home?  I'm sorry but that behavior is now endangering all these other people here.

59 minutes ago, bobroo said:

It's the exact same discussion.

You are entitled to be as reckless and stupid as you want to be, but you are not entitled to allow your recklessness or stupidity to affect others.

You've recently been on a beach in Florida? Been on a cruise? Went inside a retirement home?  I'm sorry but that behavior is now endangering all these other people here.

Not on a beach in FL, but how about Disney?  Retirement home?  airplane, subway, city bus?  Movie theater, grocery store, school, ball game, church, restaurant, bar?  Union meeting? Court? Have you dated? Did you have s*x with someone who could have had a fever?  Did you get a list of that person's other partners with contact info so we can check them out?  Do you know anyone who has done any of these things?

Are you going to tell an LGBT or whatever letters are now used they can't go an an LGTB cruise?  Good luck with that.  What about NAACP convention in Detroit?  You going to tell an employee he/she can't go there?  Do you want Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on the sidewalk in front of your house with their bullhorns?

It will not work.

Here's another one:  Do you want to be an employer who sends a young woman home for having a fever and then find out it's related to her menstrual cycle and nothing else?  Can you imagine the actual legitimate settlement that would come from that when you consider that RCCL is currently having to spend millions to defend itself because a grandfather picked-up his granddaughter and dropped her out an open window?  A window he denies he knew was open despite the video of him leaning the top half of his body out said window immediately before lifting the toddler.

The answers will ultimately come from the education side.  Wash your hands.  Don't touch stuff.  If you are sick, stay home.

18 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I already posed this question to my employer as they know I am an avid cruiser. the response I received is that whatever guidelines are in place by the government and health officials are what they will follow. So if no 14 day quarantine imposed by health officials my employer would not impose one on me for cruising.

6 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Preach on! I am a loyal disciple of your new cruise ship church! Take my money and I'll see you on Sunday. (or whatever day is deemed worship day)

1 hour ago, Ray said:

And here lies the problem with the USA , common sense, Morals and ethics go out the window if someone can smell a way to make quick buck!!!!

In this case common sense, morals, and ethics would be supported because of the lawsuits that would come if a harmless legal activity like cruising were outlawed or disallowed by these discriminatory activities.

Even with all its warts, and believe me, I've been subject to some of those warts, the United States of America has done more for the benefit of human kind than any country in the history of the planet.  It's not close.