Recent Airport Problems

Hi Everyone and Happy Weekend,

I just wanted to know if any of you have seen these stories and pictures that just recently happened at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The TSA Security

line at Seattle was over a three hour wait and the luggage problem at Phoenix had four cruise lines passengers without luggage because it was sitting in a parking lot in Phoenix waiting to be transferred to San Diego and Los Angeles.

What do you think about all of this? I have waited at security at McCarren in Las Vegas for two hours but it was under construction at that time.

I guess they will be asking passengers to come to the airport four hours before your flight.

Candie

seatac_airport_crowded.jpg1463098916468.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

For some reason our tickets came up TSA PRE so we got in the short line and processed quickly. But on the way home from our cruise, we were on the tarmack at least an extra hour waiting for luggage that had not yet arrived from TSA.  I had never seen a plane wait for luggage. When we got off the plane, our luggage was the first to go on the belt , so we wondered if ours were some of the luggage that held up  the second leg of our flight home.

I'm also TSA precheck and that helps a lot.  While I haven't experienced the delays mentioned above, I have seen serious security crowds at Miami after cruises and the worst in Seattle, where it took us nearly two hours just to check into our flight on a Saturday morning and another hour to get through security.  Fortunately, we had a late afternoon flight, so we didn't have any time pressures.

Keep in mind that most of these issues have been related to system glitches, so this isn't the norm.  In addition, you can go to the TSA's website and see estimated wait times so that you can plan ahead.  Some airports also post real time wait times.

I'm also TSA precheck and that helps a lot.  While I haven't experienced the delays mentioned above, I have seen serious security crowds at Miami after cruises and the worst in Seattle, where it took us nearly two hours just to check into our flight on a Saturday morning and another hour to get through security.  Fortunately, we had a late afternoon flight, so we didn't have any time pressures.

Keep in mind that most of these issues have been related to system glitches, so this isn't the norm.  In addition, you can go to the TSA's website and see estimated wait times so that you can plan ahead.  Some airports also post real time wait times.

I am a little nervous about our flight out of FLL in November. 11:00am, we will self disembark as soon as we are permitted but I hadn't accounted for the staffing issues the TSA has come out and admitted they are going to have

Sorry everyone but I think I posted this twice. This is what happens when you get old.

I am TSA Precheck but they mentioned in the articles even being precheck isn't going to help. Talks are going on about using contractors to do this job, don't see how that is going to help.

Since I have to fly for every cruise this is really disturbing to me.

Candie

I am a little nervous about our flight out of FLL in November. 11:00am, we will self disembark as soon as we are permitted but I hadn't accounted for the staffing issues the TSA has come out and admitted they are going to have

If you do self-assist, you'll be fine as you'll get to the airport before the crowds arrive.  Just make sure to head straight for security and get through before the masses arrive.

As an aside, I heard on the news today that the TSA has authorized overtime to help with the situation and has freed up funds to hire additional agents.  What really annoys me, though, is that our airline tickets pay for these services, whether we're receiving them or not.

Unfortunately, the first photo posted is just about what MIA looked like this morning at 8 AM. Got there 3.5 hours early and it took about 2.5 hours to get to the gate. That being said, flying to MIA early morning last week before the cruise was no problem. We flew out of 2 different airports on the first flights and it was a breeze.

Unfortunately, the first photo posted is just about what MIA looked like this morning at 8 AM. Got there 3.5 hours early and it took about 2.5 hours to get to the gate. That being said, flying to MIA early morning last week before the cruise was no problem. We flew out of 2 different airports on the first flights and it was a breeze.

Glad you made it through ok !

Here is my beef with TSA:

This intense flight security has now been going on for years. Yet the security checkpoint areas are still just roped off areas of former hallways. Scabbed in temporary fixes that have remained for years.

If this was so important it seems to me that special security areas would have been added to airports years ago. Security areas that are designed to efficiently process large volumes of people and their luggage. Taking pointers from your local amusement park, security areas that provide visual interest or important information while in line. Security areas that monitor passengers while they are in line. Security areas that are designed by queuing theory. When I go to McDonalds I know exactly where to go to order and receive my food with no signage or retractable safety belts what-so-ever. Why is TSA such a puzzle?

***And here are the two biggest pet peeves of all***

1) TSA wants me to take off my shoes, belt, and empty my pockets but makes little effort providing an area for me to put myself back together. And just not the  token spare benches or extra chairs, but an area for all the folks who go through security should be provided.

2) If bringing in coffee, water, hygiene items over 4 oz, or other liquids is so damn potentially dangerous; why are they just thrown into a garbage can??? WHY AREN"T THOSE OVERFLOWING GARBAGE CANS OF WATER BOTTLES, STARBUCK'S CUPS, AND MOUTHWASH TREATED LIKE THE LETHAL WEAPONS WE ARE TOLD THEY WERE??????

I want airline flight to be safe. I am willing to go through some discomfort and inconvenience for this. However, I truly feel TSA contributes to part of the problems and have not necessarily done their share to properly execute this important process.

Exactly.

TSA provides no more than the illusion of safety.  

The garbage can full of discarded items is a perfect example of such.  Lets face it:  If someone wanted to cause mass chaos and destruction, why bother trying to sneak something onto a plane and harm 200 people, when you can waltz into the airport with a standard size carryon or two of explosives and shrapnel, unimpeaded, and put yourself into the middle of 2 to 4 THOUSAND people all crowded together to be xrayed.  

They are nothing but a reaction to something that has already been done.  Someone tries to ignite a shoe?  lets remove shoes.  I'm really surprised that some group hasn't made a show of pulling dentures out at 35,000 feet and "igniting" them.  Within a week we would see the TSA with their blue-gloved hands in everyone's mouth and forcing all dentures to be removed and x-rayed.  Hell, the same could be done with eyeglasses, hearing aids, so many ways to make life miserable all because of the reactionary way the TSA tries to justify itself.

OK, I'll put the soapbox away and show myself out...

PRC and bobroo,

This is why I wanted to start this post, I wanted to see if other people are as upset/angry as I am about the TSA. PRC don't get off your soapbox, you made some great points.

bobroo, I want to get on my soapbox now about your #1 point.

1) TSA wants me to take off my shoes, belt, and empty my pockets but makes little effort providing an area for me to put myself back together. And just not the  token spare benches or extra chairs, but an area for all the folks who go through security should be provided.

MY COMPLAINT All of the stuff you take off is just shoved in one or two bins, your wallet, cell phone, handbag, shoes, jewelry, etc., and no one watches what happens to your stuff and you can't because you are going through the body scanner. My last trip to Las Vegas, I won a $5000 jackpot, which I tried to convert to a travelers check or cashiers check but it was Sunday and I couldn't find a bank that was open. I traveled with that money in my purse to the airport. When I got there I asked who I could speak to with TSA about a problem I had. I was directed to an office and sat for about 30 minutes before someone helped me. I was told that the purse has to go through the scanner. I didn't have a problem with that, what I had a problem with was letting that money out of my sight and go in to a scanner and I couldn't see what was happening to it. Finally a supervisor walked with my purse through the scanner and held on to it until I went through the body scanner.

Do you realize that money, credit cards, etc., are left for anyone to pick up from the scanning machine. It is the most unsafe practice I have ever seen. I Googled to see if people had stuff stolen from the TSA scanner and there are thousands of people that do every year. Over 400 TSA employees have lost their jobs for stealing passenger's stuff as it goes through the scanner. I think a complete revamping of the TSA is in order.

Candie

Last Thursday at MCO, I had one if them completely lock up because he was ordering me to put my phone thru the x-ray but also to have my boardng pass in hand. Boarding pass is in the phone there Slick, make your choice!

The deer in the headlights look was priceless...

Just a general cruise related TSA FYI:

What I have found 100% red flags my carry-on backpack is the cardboard tube with the two rolled up magnetic signs for our cabin door.

TSA has never disclosed what they are looking for, but I have figured it out after a few times of getting my hands swabbed, an extra pat down, and a manual search of the backpack. I don't know if they don't like the magnets or the shape of them being rolled in a cylinder. But now I make sure to put the tube into a bin separately so they can quickly examine it and I can be on my way.

Just a general cruise related TSA FYI:

What I have found 100% red flags my carry-on backpack is the cardboard tube with the two rolled up magnetic signs for our cabin door.

TSA has never disclosed what they are looking for, but I have figured it out after a few times of getting my hands swabbed, an extra pat down, and a manual search of the backpack. I don't know if they don't like the magnets or the shape of them being rolled in a cylinder. But now I make sure to put the tube into a bin separately so they can quickly examine it and I can be on my way.

Best gues is that they obscure the image and can't clearly see what is inside.

We paid the $85 for TSA pre-check. It's good for 5 years which works out to be less than $4 per flight if we travel as anticipated. Well worth in my opinion.

Yes this is a good idea and worth he money.  But as more and more people sign up the numbers uses it will go up and the service will slow down.  The real answer is to move everyone faster.

TSA Pre question: If I have TSA Pre and am traveling with my minor child or even my 16yo child, can they go thru TSA Pre with me?

Thinking of getting DH and I TSA Pre as we'll have some travel over the next 5 yrs but we'll only have 1 trip with the kids.

I do not know the answer to your questions about your child but I have a strong inclination that he/she would be covered by your status.

I will make another recommendation for anyone considering TSA pre check. If you are going to go to the trouble (and expense) of getting Precheck, get a Global Entry instead. It only costs a little bit more ($120 vs $85 or something like that) and GE is so much more useful - especially for those who travel abroad or cruise ! GE automatically gives you Precheck plus it substantially expedites reentry into the US. Port Everglades provides GE holders expedited entry (even though I don't think the kiosk is in place yet) and other ports are coming online with GE as well.

I travel abroad quite a bit and I love GE. It saves so much time in the customs lines.

Both Precheck and GE are good for 5 years.

Waited 75 minutes Sunday flying home from Denver, and we were the lucky ones.  

It's 2016 and we don't have any better technology to help the screening process be more reliable and faster?  Blows my mind.  Saw a poor lady with 3 small children being searched.  They were taking apart her diaper bags, going through her stroller, etc etc.  People started to turn on the TSA, questioning why they were even bothering with this young mother.   Things started to get pretty heated!  Yes, I realize that there is a minimal chance she could have been a terrorist or something, but honestly the entire check in, and TSA process needs a complete, modern overhaul.  

The facts are that under cover agents were able to pass through roughly 85% of check points last year with items we aren't supposed to have on flights.  It's a terrible system!

Just wait until we adopt screening processes just to get into the airport. Talk about major delays!  

It's unfortunate, but in our lifetime the air travel industry is going to become much more complicated.  

Eventually, getting on a cruise ship will become much more difficult, as it should!  The screening process to get on these ships is minimal at best!  

TSA Precheck sounds like a standard government program.

Went to check it out again this week and found the following few statements:

1, It is no longer being honored consistently because the lines are too long at the regular lines to keep the separate pre-check line staffed.

2. The number of people enrolled in precheck is far lower than expected which is why the lines are so long at the regular lines

3. People who have not signed up for precheck can be sent through precheck by TSA staff either on purpose or randomly (As someone above indicated they were assigned precheck without signing up for it).

So ... summing all that up .... you want me to pay money for a service that you may not honor and may give to me for free if I don't pay for it. Yet you are surprised that not enough people are giving you their money ... and cant figure out how to push people into the "empty" express lane just to keep it moving.

Definitely a government program.

And all the while, Israel is the most targeted country in the world,yet they have none of these issues.

Of course they're not afraid of offending anyone, not trying to create a jobs program, and not trying to pull the wool over their own citizens eyes either.

We could learn a lot from them.

Children 12 and under can go through with their parents TSA PreCheck. I looked on TSA site and that it what it said. I have never been happier with anything than precheck. I never wait at the airport for more than 5 to 10 minutes and watch people stand for 30 minutes to an hour to get through. I wish I could say I feel bad when I get to go by everybody but maybe for only 10 seconds.

I knew that they had implemented GE at Port Everglades but I didn't know they had a kiosk yet.  When I last used it, you kinda had to know to ask someone where the GE line was.  Basically, they put us into the Suites line.  If there is a dedicated line for it now, that's a big step forward.  I think that other ports are implementing it too.  My company pays for my GE so it wasn't an expense I had to incur...but knowing how much the program has helped me, I WOULD pay for it myself if I had to.  Probably the biggest imposition of the program is that you have to go to a Borders and Customs in-person interview.  For me, it was very easy. I just went to Dulles International Airport - a short trip.  I have heard that it is not always so easy to get to that interview location in some parts of the country.  That's an issue I did not have to deal with.

I don't really want to start a political discussion here...but I believe all of this SUDDEN mob mess at the airport is a TSA ploy to get increase funding.  I think it's a manufactured crisis that they know will get the public's attention.  JUST MY OPINION !

I knew that they had implemented GE at Port Everglades but I didn't know they had a kiosk yet.  When I last used it, you kinda had to know to ask someone where the GE line was.  

This is still the way it is.  Several people at the port have told me (for what it's worth) that they have no intention of putting kiosks.  That's fine with me, I don't mind talking to a customs agent for 45 seconds, it's the massive line I'd like to avoid.  You're right in that you have to know it's there, very odd, and because of the lack of kiosks, you seem to need your GE ID, which many don't carry.  I just swore that I had mine (which I did) but I don't *think* we actually produced them.

Would be great if they add GE lines to other ports.  It makes a bad day just a little easier.

Probably the biggest imposition of the program is that you have to go to a Borders and Customs in-person interview.  For me, it was very easy. I just went to Dulles International Airport - a short trip.  I have heard that it is not always so easy to get to that interview location in some parts of the country.  That's an issue I did not have to deal with.

Last time i checked I'd have to go to Fort Wayne, Indiana - "only" an hour and half 126 mile drive from here.  

Do you happen to know if I signed up for this, are my kids grandfathered in, or are they required to be interviewed as well?

Kids are required to be interviewed as well in a separate interview from their parents interview but with their parents at the interview ....

I have been kicking it around in my brain this week trying to decide if I want to sign up the family. We have a Europe cruise in July, not sure if we will have it approved by then and then the Thanksgiving on Adventure (your still on that one right bc?) so probably going to get the us out of it.

Kids are required to be interviewed as well in a separate interview from their parents interview but with their parents at the interview ....

I have been kicking it around in my brain this week trying to decide if I want to sign up the family. We have a Europe cruise in July, not sure if we will have it approved by then and then the Thanksgiving on Adventure (your still on that one right bc?) so probably going to get the us out of it.

We had random Precheck given to us on our last flights down to FL and it made travel so much easier, so I'm thinking about just spending the money and doing it just for the decreased stress level.

Yes, I'm still going to be on Adventure.  Booked one excursion (catamaran from St.Kitts to Nevis) for me and my wife, and on Antigua Stingray CIty for Emily and the kids. I'll be occupied with the Rum Cruise http://miamirumfest.com/Cruise.html excursions at other ports.

Guest toodle68

Well.. people also do not help the situation. Last time we flew a person had brought their entire makeup bag through security. Several bottles of stuff, creams etc..  Credit in some way to the TSA, they spent about 30 minutes going through it all and checking it and allowed her to keep it..    it kept us waiting for a free agent.. I would have tossed the entire lot into the garbage or sent them back to the main airport to sort it out. 

I don't understand how they have a massive shortage of staff when they earn between $12 and $20 / hr with full benefits, paid vacation, sick pay, 401k, etc  and overtime and we supposedly have massive unemployment. You only need a high school diploma to apply. 

Overall, I agree.. they have had 15 years to address this issue.  Taking off my shoes had to be the point where I about flipped at the stupidity of it all..

Couple of TSA stories ...

Both from way back when the whole ordeal began ...

Wife and I are on a trip, think it was our 1 year anniversary. We get through the regular security and are at the gate waiting to board. This was back when they were still coming up with "the plan" and back then they had random second screenings at the boarding ramp as you went to get on the plane. We walk up to board and one of the security guys gives me the gesture to step aside and be searched again ... without thinking I hand my wife our carryon bag and tell he to board without me and I will catch up .... nobody says a thing, searching me takes about 5 seconds since I no longer have any bags to search .... only later do I realize how stupid that whole episode was.

Separate time, travelling by myself on business, in the TSA line waiting and the lady in front of me is apparently a Mary-Kay sales rep who didn't get the memo on the new rules. From her bag she pulls a massive plastic bag filled with about 200+ individual lipsticks .... each of which is technically a liquid and has to be hand checked by the TSA rep ..... line came to a dead stop for about 20 minutes as the lone TSA rep took the top off each lipstick, checked that it looked like lipstick, put the top back on, checked the next one, etc. ..... Lady was lucky she wasn't found dead under the xray machine !