Hygiene issues on Voyager

Thought i would include some concerns about Voyager and Hygiene in particular. Many days the hand sanitisers were empty and just pushed to the side or not available at all. The kids club, they were always empty. In Singapore they did not exist at all when returning to ship at Security screening back on board, once inside near Deck 4 lifts they were empty. Flagged this a number of times on ship and it seemed this did not get better. Also thought I would share pics of my mini bar in our Junior Suite. This was on day 1 when boarding and was the same when we departed. This was left in this state from previous guest as we did not eat cake or use fridge at all. Again highlighted with no outcome........

post-3410-0-68356200-1463176770_thumb.jpg

post-3410-0-83061700-1463176785_thumb.jpg

This is sad to hear and I hope you include this in the post cruise survey as that will do more good to resolve the situation than posting here. As for the kids clubs, I don't recall ever seeing sanitizer machines there not are they needed as they require the kids to wash their hands as soon as they enter.

I'm not surprised by the pictures or the post.  It is Asia and what is considered unacceptable in the United States is just normal life here.  Even simple things from everyday life. I'm sure Royal ordered enough hand sanitize to take care of the whole ship. But it was sitting in transport or customs, or in the warehouse and not delivered yet. Royal does try but you will never get the same standards on a cruise from Asia as you get on a Miami cruise. I was in a  very nice hotel restaurant (Worldwide Hotel Chain)  last night here in the Philippines, and a Greco Lizard about 5" long ran across the wall.... No reaction from anyone in the place, it was nothing. Vs have this happen in the United States and the Board of Heath would have been doing a inspection and clients would be demanding refunds.

So while Royal should do  a better job and is trying to do so you really need to understand is they are trying to apply first World Standards in the Third World.

I'm not surprised by the pictures or the post.  It is Asia and what is considered unacceptable in the United States is just normal life here.  Even simple things from everyday life. I'm sure Royal ordered enough hand sanitize to take care of the whole ship. But it was sitting in transport or customs, or in the warehouse and not delivered yet. Royal does try but you will never get the same standards on a cruise from Asia as you get on a Miami cruise. I was in a  very nice hotel restaurant (Worldwide Hotel Chain)  last night here in the Philippines, and a Greco Lizard about 5" long ran across the wall.... No reaction from anyone in the place, it was nothing. Vs have this happen in the United States and the Board of Heath would have been doing a inspection and clients would be demanding refunds.

So while Royal should do  a better job and is trying to do so you really need to understand is they are trying to apply first World Standards in the Third World.

Todd, this was a repositioning Cruise from Australia to Singapore. The ship had been based in Australia for 6 months. The cruise line needs to take full reponsibility for the ship. My mini bar fridge was just laziness, given it was checked during the cruise to see if I consumed anything.Thanksfully rest of cabin was clean. CDC regulations would still apply given its US flagged, regardless RCCL is not a 2 star Cruise line. It is unacceptable, and cannot be compared to a hotel. I think its offensive to say its dirty or un hygenic because it went to Asia. Singapore is far from third World.....

CDC regulations would still apply given its US flagged, regardless RCCL is not a 2 star Cruise line. It is unacceptable, and cannot be compared to a hotel. I think its offensive to say its dirty or un hygenic because it went to Asia. Singapore is far from third World.....

No Royal Ship or any of the cruise ships in RCCL are flagged in the United States all are flagged in others counties. None of the ships within the line are subject to the rules and standards of US Flagged Ships. The ship is registered and flagged in: 

Port of registry: Nassau23px-Flag_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas

And while Singapore itself is not a third world country the area that the ship was sailing in and most of the other ports are third World, after leaving AU.  What is truly amazing here is how many people just book cruises and travel and really know very little about what they are booking and the service providers.  We all know what happens when you assume.....

No Royal Ship or any of the cruise ships in RCCL are flagged in the United States all are flagged in others counties. None of the ships within the line are subject to the rules and standards of US Flagged Ships. The ship is registered and flagged in: 

Port of registry: Nassau23px-Flag_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas

And while Singapore itself is not a third world country the area that the ship was sailing in and most of the other ports are third World, after leaving AU.  What is truly amazing here is how many people just book cruises and travel and really know very little about what they are booking and the service providers.  We all know what happens when you assume.....

I am assuming nothing. The ship was not at the standard of cleanliness it should have been, plain and simple fact. No Port can be responsible for the lack of hygiene on a ship. A dirty fridge or sanitiser on board is the ship crew  responsibility.

Unfortunately, the ships are only held to CDC standards when sailing from U.S. Ports. Presumably, the port they sailed from would regulate hygiene standards and inspections as I'm fairly confident that the Bahamas aren't going to be regulating or enforcing anything on ships flagged in their country.

I would agree that the head housekeeper was not doing his or her job as he/she should have been inspecting cabins to make sure they were up to standards.

I am assuming nothing. The ship was not at the standard of cleanliness it should have been, plain and simple fact. No Port can be responsible for the lack of hygiene on a ship. A dirty fridge or sanitiser on board is the ship crew  responsibility.

Well it seems to me you are assuming a lot just look at the facts:

"CDC regulations would still apply given its US flagged, .."

You have only a few choices here: 1) You assumed, 2) You lied, 3) You don't care about facts. 4) You made a mistake.

But since you said you assume nothing and the ship is clearly not flagged in the United States then option four is out for you.

Then you posted "No Port can be responsible for the lack of hygiene on a ship. "

​Again did you assume this or do you like being wrong? Every ship anywhere in the World is always subject to the laws and rules within the ports they enter and the countries territorial waters they sail in. 

As DocLC pointed out the ship is not sailing in US Waters or into US Ports so the US rules have very little effect. 

Maybe a little more research is in order here.

Actually Todd is correct. Our local Port in Dunedin New Zealand held a cruise ship in port overnight a few years back until it cleaned it's kitchen and storage area... 

The Captain at the end of the day is responsible for the ship, it's crew and well on board customers and it is he or she's responsibility to ensure that the ship meets hygiene standards set eby both law where she sails and I imagine company policy (of course like any manager the captain will delegate that responsibility to various staff... who likely delegate it to other staff... who probably delegate to someone else with a mop).

theweets is also right that it is not the standard 'we' would expect of RCL and I am sure nor would head office and probably the captain of the Voyager if s/he was aware of it (I imagine they would be ex-captain if RCL had too many complaints like that or if they failed a por inspection etc). As Todd sai things in some parts of Asia are a bit more lax... it's not to say they are necessarily  unhealthy, once you've lived in parts of Africa or Asia you really that the western world is often a little uptight about a few things that really don't matter... (and other things we are uptight about for a darn good reason). IN this case while the picture maybe aren't surprising... they are not what one 'should' expect and  don't think does their brand any good and certainly wouldn't be the picture RCL would want around the internet if they had their choice.

As to the fridge, in my opinion, this is simply a housekeeping issue and should have been immediately remedied by the steward.  If not, then I would march my butt right to guest services and complain vehemently until it was fixed.  

That mess, and the lack of cleaning, should be the sole responsibility of the ship's hospitality officer.

Regardless of which ports of call or flagged nationality, RCCL should have basic regulations in place for sterility.  This makes perfect business sense in that no Cruise Line wants to be responsible for yet another noro outbreak.

Just like the lights on your car should be in working order, any and all sanitization stations should be as well.  No excuses.

IMO - this falls directly on the Captain.  If he's not aware, then his officers should make sure it's taken care of.

Over time I've come to feel that while the Captain has his name at the top, the person most responsible and having the biggest impact on a person's cruise experience is the Hotel Director.

You see threads following who the Captain is or who the cruise director is but think about it: the Captain makes sure the power is on and the ship gets from point a to B. The cruise director tells his jokes and introduces the entertainers. Everything else is due to the hotel director.

Over time I've come to feel that while the Captain has his name at the top, the person most responsible and having the biggest impact on a person's cruise experience is the Hotel Director.

You see threads following who the Captain is or who the cruise director is but think about it: the Captain makes sure the power is on and the ship gets from point a to B. The cruise director tells his jokes and introduces the entertainers. Everything else is due to the hotel director.

I agree with you, Paul.  The Hotel Director is a position largely overlooked by cruise fans, but critical to how a ship works.  

The reason most fans do not consider this crew member is because they are not a guest-facing position.  The hotel director never makes announcements or shows up at activities.  Other than a Crown and Anchor event or Captain's Corner, they are quite hidden.

Hi All. Today I recieved a call from a Supervisor st RCCL Miami. He was incredibly professional as well as apologetic. This call was on the basis of my post cruise evaluation upon my return home. I can appreciate things go wrong at times and will say I feel the actions outlined today are suitable and appropriate. My intention was not to complain but just highlight my cruise experience. Thanks for your feedback and thoughts.

I agree with you, Paul.  The Hotel Director is a position largely overlooked by cruise fans, but critical to how a ship works.  

The reason most fans do not consider this crew member is because they are not a guest-facing position.  The hotel director never makes announcements or shows up at activities.  Other than a Crown and Anchor event or Captain's Corner, they are quite hidden.

The Captain (Master)  is the overall leader in charge of the entire ship and responsible for everything that happens on his ship.  Anything having to do with the operation of the ship, movement of the ship, entrance into ports, changing the route because of weather etc, all are handled by the Captain and his staff. At the right hand of the Captain is the the Hotel Director, he/ she is the highest rating officer under the Master, and anything having to do with the passengers, food, drink or services to the passengers come under the Hotel Director. Yes the Master can overrule him but would only do that for safety reasons and in private. 

At the left hand of the Master is his staff Cabin and Chief Engineer for the ship. The Staff Cabin and Chief Engineer handle for the Master everything having to do with the operation of the ship not involving the hotel side. Most of the time the only officers who meet daily with the Master are the Hotel Director, Staff Cabin, and Chief Engineer.  If a passenger ever has a problem and it gets to the Hotel Director the problem is solved most of the time.   It is very rare the Master is ever involved in passengers problems. 

One thing I have always done on cruises is talk to the Hotel Directors, I find them to be very interesting, all older with long careers, in the military (mostly Navy) Merchant Marines and the Hotel Resort Industry.  Most Hotel directors could be the GM in any World Class 5 Star Hotel.  I enjoy learning from their vast knowledge and almost everyone of them has been very nice, friendly and open. A few times I have found myself roaming the ship late at night to have them call me over to a table with officers drinking coffee,  the conversations and vast knowledge and information senior offices have is priceless.

Matt and Paul are 100% right, these officers are overlooked. I would recommend any passenger get to know the Hotel Director and senior offices as cruising becomes much more enjoyable.