FCC and Deposits

tcneal

Hello all,

I have read many posts on this topic but I haven't seen my specific question, so I thought I would ask.  Forgive me if it has been covered.

My cruise was canceled in Mar on the Oasis.   I found another cruise in Nov on the Harmony and booked with a $500 deposit.   My FCC came in about a week ago.  The FCC is more than enough to cover the entire cruise (2 actually).  If I apply the FCC to the cruise, say the cruise fare is $2000 total, will I be able to get the $500 deposit refunded?  Or apply the deposit to the taxes and fees (about $250) and get the remaining cash back?  If I keep adding additional money for deposits, it will take me 3 cruises to use up all of the FCC.

I'm trying to figure out if it is easier to keep my Nov booking or cancel and re-book it with the FCC?

Thanks

Thank you for the response.

I understand that any FCC over the cost will be reissued in FCC.  I'm trying to find out if I can get my deposit refunded back to my credit card since my FCC is enough to cover it all.  Since, I have enough FCC to cover 2 cruises, I'm trying not to add any additional money at this time.

25 minutes ago, tcneal said:

Thank you for the response.

I understand that any FCC over the cost will be reissued in FCC.  I'm trying to find out if I can get my deposit refunded back to my credit card since my FCC is enough to cover it all.  Since, I have enough FCC to cover 2 cruises, I'm trying not to add any additional money at this time.

What others told me is that your deposit will be shifted to port fees and taxes and the leftover deposit amount, if any, will be refunded. FCC does not cover port fees or taxes. 

I applied a portion of my $1900 FCC to the remaining balance of a cruise that was already booked. There was about $600 of FCC remaining and I was told it would be refunded.  When I got the vacation receipt, it only showed that the cruise fare had been reduced by $1300---it didn't reflect that it was reduced by the FCC.  The vacation receipt did show that the deposit I paid covered the to taxes/fees and gratuities.  I wonder if the $600 of remaining FCC will really be refunded. 

It has been almost a month since the cruise was cancelled and still no refunds for the cruise planner purchases, port fees, taxes.  I was originally told 5-7 days for the refunds to be processed ... then 10 business days ... and then 30 days.  My plan is to use the refunds to rebook the cancelled cruise for next year.

28 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

You can only apply the FCC to one cruise at a time.  So plan accordingly on this.  You will get the remaining FCC AFTER you cruise on the first cruise you apply it to.  So keep this in mind when applying the FCC to a cruise.

Now that is interesting!!! Maybe they applied the entire $1900 FCC and are refunding my deposit and some additional payments that I made.  I won't know until I start seeing the refunds.  This is very confusing.

7 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Now that is interesting!!! Maybe they applied the entire $1900 FCC and are refunding my deposit and some additional payments that I made.  I won't know until I start seeing the refunds.  This is very confusing.

Your FCC cannot be used for port charges or taxes and fees.  But it can be applied to that amount and yes anything you have already paid on the reservation would be refunded back to the card you used to pay toward your cruise.

21 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Your FCC cannot be used for port charges or taxes and fees.  But it can be applied to that amount and yes anything you have already paid on the reservation would be refunded back to the card you used to pay toward your cruise.

Thank-you!  Now I see what they did. They told me that the remaining FCC would be refunded but actually they are refunding part of what I paid for the deposit and additional payments made.   The cruise fare was reduced by the entire FCC.  The cruise receipt doesn't itemize the FCC though.

1 hour ago, AnnetteJackson said:

You can only apply the FCC to one cruise at a time.  So plan accordingly on this.  You will get the remaining FCC AFTER you cruise on the first cruise you apply it to.  So keep this in mind when applying the FCC to a cruise.

Thank You.   This is very interesting.  I was thinking about 2 cruises close together (Thanksgiving and Christmas).   This can't be done with the FCC.   Thanksgiving and Spring Break might be doable but it will be close.   I guess you need that new FCC before final payment is due on the 2nd  cruise.

I have booked a dozen cruises on my own but I think it's time for a Travel Agent.   There are too many loop holes with this credit.  I wish I could have gotten the refund but I Literally canceled 8 hours before the refund policy was offered.

1 hour ago, AnnetteJackson said:

Thanks, this is what I hoped.  So, I should be expecting about 1/2 of the deposit back after the fees are covered.

2 hours ago, tcneal said:

I was thinking about 2 cruises close together (Thanksgiving and Christmas).   This can't be done with the FCC.   Thanksgiving and Spring Break might be doable but it will be close.   I guess you need that new FCC before final payment is due on the 2nd  cruise.

Typically you can apply the FCC to a cruise that's past final payment and then you would get refunded from what you had already paid towards the cruise fare.  It may take up to 30 days after you take the first sailing that you used the FCC on for the remaining FCC balance to be reissued.  I wouldn't think Thanksgiving and Christmas cuts that too close but Thanksgiving and Spring Break is probably doable if you don't mind fronting the final payment until the reissued FCC comes in.

And highly, highly recommend you use a TA.  It's such a time saver when it comes to dealing with keeping track of the refunds and FCCs and all that!  

3 hours ago, tcneal said:

I have booked a dozen cruises on my own but I think it's time for a Travel Agent.

Ditto for me. At least I somewhat understand Royal's FCC.  Now I can move on and figure out my flight credit from United Airline.  Then the England rail pass will be next.  Fortunately the hotel cancelled me and I didn't have to do anything to get that refund.

I have a twist to this same line of thinking. We have a May 24th HOS sailing that hasn't (yet) been canceled.  We are trying to be proactive in planning ahead for another cruise and found a HOS sailing July 5.  According to @michelle, this curise is past final payment and if we want to book this we cannot put down a deposit we would have to pay in full.  If the May 24th cruise gets cancelled we would take the FCC.  After paying in full for the July 5 sailing, can we apply the FCC and get what we paid refunded?  Thank you all. 

9 minutes ago, Frogfanatic said:

If the May 24th cruise gets cancelled we would take the FCC.  After paying in full for the July 5 sailing, can we apply the FCC and get what we paid refunded?  Thank you all. 

The only problem I see with this plan is that you well may not even get the refund much before the ship sails on July 5.  They are VERY slow to be processed.

30 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The only problem I see with this plan is that you well may not even get the refund much before the ship sails on July 5.  They are VERY slow to be processed.

Are you saying that you don't think I would be able to get the FCC before this July sailing to put toward the trip or that I wouldn't get the refund from the initial payment that the FCC is replacing?  This whole Cruise with Confidence is confusing. haha...

8 minutes ago, Frogfanatic said:

Are you saying that you don't think I would be able to get the FCC before this July sailing to put toward the trip or that I wouldn't get the refund from the initial payment that the FCC is replacing?  This whole Cruise with Confidence is confusing. haha...

Depending on when they actually cancel the May cruises, it could take almost until July for that money/FCC to get to you.  They are proving to be very very slow

6 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I wouldn't think Thanksgiving and Christmas cuts that too close but Thanksgiving and Spring Break is probably doable if you don't mind fronting the final payment until the reissued FCC comes in.

The Thanksgiving cruise returns Nov 29th.   I doubt I would have the additional FCC by Dec 26th and I wouldn't want to risk it.   Depending on when final payment is due for Spring, that might work.   Usually our Spring Break final payments are due beginning of Jan so that might be doable.