The news

2 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

It’s just getting crazier & crazier. The cruise industry is the scapegoat for the COVID19 crisis. I can’t believe these headlines. What’s next? 

5C4BFD7F-6DA5-40DF-8DC1-1717BA9CFC18.jpeg

That is truly disgusting, truly disgusting. I honestly can't believe the industry is being blamed this much and in such a vicious way. 

3 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Here' a link to Ms. Matei's opinion piece for those who wanna read the whole thing.

Each click raises the writers profile and the websites visitors, thus meaning potentially more income from adverts due to increased visitors...Scare mongering/ Fake headlines is what draws people in..companies/Newspapers are not stupid they know how to raise their profile which results in more $$$$$

Yeah...I know how it works. I worked as a journalist and editor for the first half of my professional career; tactics like these are exactly why I'm no longer doing it. I also believe in being aware of what's being written beyond sensationalist headlines that just make people angry.

At least by knowing what's being written, it can be countered to help reduce public anxiety, frustration, or anger, especially when it's all very unjustly misdirected at one sector -- in this case, a sector that we're all very fond of: cruising.

Here's the link, as it was pointed out that some folks might need it on social media or might wanna read the linked stories within the article.

As an alternative so people don't need to click the link:

image.png.568ff434b899713b9817859a439120f0.png

image.png.28635043c6185308e3a7a2ea30822c7c.png

image.png.fc3df605501b80ea17c6849e9ba61c3f.png

image.png.c8e1b8e067698bddc4b5064ec26df3c3.png

Yes.....lets take something that has never happened in our lifetimes, likely never will again, and allow it to shape and dictate everything we do for the rest of our lives. Good grief. This reminds me of what I call "Hurricane Hugo Syndrome." In 1989, we had hurricane Hugo make it all the way up into Charlotte, still as a hurricane.  Now keep in mind....this had not happened in anyones lifetime, and to date, hasnt since. That, however, doesnt stop the media from covering every hurricane that comes close to the Carolinas from being covered as if it will do EXACTLY what Hurricane Hugo did, and they ALWAYS refer back to it as the example. IT WAS 30 YEARS AGO... ITS INFURIATING to those with common sense. Why must the media use the exception, instead of the rule, as its baseline for coverage and stories???!?!?!?!?!?  Because it gets attention....thats why. Eyeballs, ears, clicks, whatever.....it generates money. Selling their soul for ad revenue. 

RANT OVER.

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

EDITED 3:11 p.m. Eastern: Please disregard this post; the story is posted in its entirety in my next reply so people don't have to click through and give ad revenue to The Guardian or money to Ms. Matei.

Really good point, but I had to see what she was saying so I could voice disagreement on Twitter.

Its amazing how much the cruise industry is on blast. Time after time they are used as an example of COVID-19 disasters or activities that aren't recommended anyway. I get pretty irritated with the people that claim the ships as germ pools or "floating incubators of viruses, bacteria, or disease." It makes me wonder if these people writing these articles have been on a cruise before or if they did and it just wasn't their cup of tea for a vacation per say. I know we are supporters of the cruise industry on here so we may be a little bias on the other side but I feel the Royal ships are quite clean in comparison to normal hotel rooms I stay in, amusement parks I've visited, and quite honestly shopping centers I go to, so why aren't they being berrated like the cruise industry for their actual uncleanliness. And how about Airplanes, they continue to fly even with a lot of non-essential staff on board and wasn't it the other day that 100 flight attendants for American Airlines reportedly tested positive for COVID-19, why was that pushed to page 10 and ignored. Seems the cruise industry is taking the "big kid" role and just taking the punches instead of fighting back or squabbling since that's what it would be viewed as

2 minutes ago, Matt31 said:

Its amazing how much the cruise industry is on blast. Time after time they are used as an example of COVID-19 disasters or activities that aren't recommended anyway. I get pretty irritated with the people that claim the ships as germ pools or "floating incubators of viruses, bacteria, or disease." It makes me wonder if these people writing these articles have been on a cruise before or if they did and it just wasn't their cup of tea for a vacation per say. I know we are supporters of the cruise industry on here so we may be a little bias on the other side but I feel the Royal ships are quite clean in comparison to normal hotel rooms I stay in, amusement parks I've visited, and quite honestly shopping centers I go to, so why aren't they being berrated like the cruise industry for their actual uncleanliness. And how about Airplanes, they continue to fly even with a lot of non-essential staff on board and wasn't it the other day that 100 flight attendants for American Airlines reportedly tested positive for COVID-19, why was that pushed to page 10 and ignored. Seems the cruise industry is taking the "big kid" role and just taking the punches instead of fighting back or squabbling since that's what it would be viewed as

I would say that we are biased because we have had great experiences and know that the risk of getting sick on a cruise is greatly lower than on land...

I love Billy's article at Cruise Habit about this:

https://www.cruisehabit.com/one-step-you-can-take-avoid-norovirus-take-cruise

I still contend I'm more likely to get sick on an airplane than a cruise ship. It never seems to fail that I feel like crud a day or two after I get off a plane. We're all crammed into a space that is MUCH smaller than when we're able to spread out on the ship.

At least if I get sick on my next cruise (even with the sniffles!), I can hang out in my cabin and on my aft balcony and have space to myself and be distanced without being stuck inside.

13 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Really good point, but I had to see what she was saying so I could voice disagreement on Twitter.

I've edited the post where I posted the article in its entirety via screenshots to include a link for anyone who needs it.

9 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

would say that we are biased because we have had great experiences and know that the risk of getting sick on a cruise is greatly lower than on land...

100% correct. We know how hard they work to actually keep the ships clean and love the style of vacation that cruising allows

21 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

"Watching the news only gives me the blues, there's too much wrong goin' on"  Jimmy Buffet song.

Seems appropriate right now.

I have loved cruising since 1996.  But all of the recent narratives have got me singing the blues too.  I am seriously re-thinking my Nov 1st cruise with friends who have less love for the industry than I do.  Very trying times for sure.  I gotta say the positive comments above are nice to read!

This is yet another reason why with the exception of my local news station, I don't watch the news anymore right now.  A lot of hype, misinformation, and over-exaggeration right now.  Since we're drydocked due to work until early next year, I spend my days when not watching Netflix looking at next year's cruises.

That article is inflammatory, way over the top, an unfair characterization, and not exactly false.

The fact is a contagious virus could easily go through passengers and crew like wildfire.  But, 99.999999999999999999999% of the time it ain't a problem.  It's only in a world wide pandemic that it becomes a problem...a once in a generation event.

In the end, that article is just fear mongering and doesn't generally apply...most of the time.

Mike