White House task force quietly softened cruise ship no-sail restrictions ...

While I'm somewhat relieved to see this news, the reality remains that even if the US allows cruise ships to resume sailings from its ports, that doesn't mean spit if all the destination countries / ports remain closed. Canada could choose to stay closed off through the summer; as could England, Spain, and other countries that normally serve as destination ports for transatlantic cruises. And if the states that own the cruise ports decide they're not ready for that influx of tourist traffic, the Federal government can't stop them from continuing a block.

The governors of NY, NJ, PA, CT, MD, DE, and RI had a big conference call with the press yesterday afternoon, hosted by Andrew Cuomo (governor of NY). They were unanimous in their statement that since the states ultimately had to be in charge of shutting down businesses and enforcing isolation policies when the Federal government wouldn't provide clear guidance or actions, it will therefore be the states, not the Federal government, who decide when and how they reopen for business and resume normal activities. They also stated that it would be done in a controlled and measured manner to avoid causing a second wave like Hong Kong, China, and other APAC countries recently experienced.

So definitely hope for the best, but continue to contingency plan for the worst.

Don’t forget.  The Federal government, for the first time in history, declared a national emergency in all 50 States.  That declaration has not been lifted.  The President has unprecedented authority right now.  Not saying that the Federal government would use it, but it’s in place at the moment.

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

.... shortened by 20 days!! So, now we are looking at early July. Hope springs eternal!!  See article from USA Today below:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/13/coronavirus-cruise-ships-saw-red-flags-amid-chaotic-federal-response/2937001001/

WOW! While the headline is great news for us cruise lovers, the article itself is scathing of the cruise industry......including blaming cruising for the virus entering US cities. SMH

Florida has declared wrestling (WWE) essential.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/04/14/wwe-deemed-essential-business-florida-coroanvirus-pandemic-ron-desantis/2987675001/

If wrestling on TV is essential to the Florida economy surely the cruise industry is as well.  Hopefully the cruise industry in Florida can get the same status at some point as we move forward. 

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Florida has declared wrestling (WWE) essential.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/04/14/wwe-deemed-essential-business-florida-coroanvirus-pandemic-ron-desantis/2987675001/

If wrestling on TV is essential to the Florida economy surely the cruise industry is as well.  Hopefully the cruise industry in Florida can get the same status at some point as we move forward. 

Hold the WWE events on cruiseships ? 

I saw the article last night, gives hope but it is pretty scathing. I read the other day, Just want them to do the right thing so we can go back to life even if it is a new normal.  I understand we can´t get back to early. I know you can´t blame the CDC, but they can´t blame cruising for this outbreak either. I can´t wait to cross the gangway on to the ship and get out on the open sea. I agree if WWE is essential cruising has to generate enough income to open the ports asap.

Maybe I’m wrong (wouldn’t be the first time) but I don’t read this article as lessening the the CDC order to 80 days; rather this article is referring to the original 120 day order being downgraded to 100 (article written April 13)
The document in the public inspection section of the federal register still shows 100 days and is due for publishing at midnight. 

26 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Maybe I’m wrong (wouldn’t be the first time) but I don’t read this article as lessening the the CDC order to 80 days; rather this article is referring to the original 120 day order being downgraded to 100 (article written April 13)
The document in the public inspection section of the federal register still shows 100 days and is due for publishing at midnight. 

That's how I read it too.  I've been wrong before.... ?

Mike

13 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Confirmed on this morning's Cruise Radio News podcast -- extension was originally going to be 120 days and go into August, but got reduced to 100 by the White House. So we're still at mid-to-late July (depending on that final publication date).

29 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Confirmed on this morning's Cruise Radio News podcast -- extension was originally going to be 120 days and go into August, but got reduced to 100 by the White House. So we're still at mid-to-late July (depending on that final publication date).

The publication date is April 15, there is no further debate about that. Without further intervention the order will expire July 24. 

5 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

If its Mid to Late July I wonder why Carnival only paused sailings until June 27th? What is the point of that? Shouldn't they of just made it sometime in July? 

I suspect they're hoping it will be rescinded before the 100 days. If they cancel all the way out won't they potentially be struck with empty ships they've already refunded?

Mike

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

The publication date is April 15, there is no further debate about that. Without further intervention the order will expire July 24. 

I think some are missing the part that says, "which ever come first".

Probably why Royal, as of yet, may not be moving as fast as Carnival; because, "which ever come first", technically could be tomorrow, next week, next month, in 6 weeks, etc.

14 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Probably why Royal, as of yet, may not be moving as fast as Carnival; because, "which ever come first", technically could be tomorrow, next week, next month, in 6 weeks, etc.

The only "whichever comes first" provision is Health and Human Services declaring Covid-19 no longer a public health emergency; I don't believe anyone can think that declaration is coming anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

The CDC list stipulations at earliest, 1, 2, or 3..."which ever come first"

Yes, #1 is what i posted above; #2 is a declaration from the CDC (which won't happen without corroboration from HHS see #1); and #3 is the passing of 100 days

I stand 100% behind my above post, respectfully IMO one has their head in the sand if they believe it is an in-accurate statement.

43 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

But, what's the likelihood it will be any sooner than mid to late June?  If we're successful in flattening the curve then that draws the end out further. 

Not to mention that #2 gives the CDC the authority to extend it beyond the 100 days. I for one do not want this to end any sooner than it needs to be to ensure it doesn't spread any further than is necessary.  IMHO, that's more important than anything else. 

Mike

"If" the CDC makes the call next week, why would it be to soon? I pretty confident they won't make a rush to judgement call. The call wouldn't be much different if they made the call an additional 60days after the 100days. It still has to meet & achieve some criteria for a call to be made.

I understand we look at the media drilling in our minds, how dire the situation is currently; so, on a individual level, many project some amount of time out. However, I'm suggesting, technically, if the matrix deem conclusive, they could call it well before July 24th. That's what the stipulation for...and yes, it work both ways, and can be extended. I'm simply pointing out, the "which ever come first". Neither one of those stipulation possibly may not happen...then you will see another modification as the CDC, has stated.

As far as we know...thing can get better by Memorial Day.