Buy Now or Wait?!

ADunk

Hi All! Long time reader, first time poster...

We are looking at some cruises for the December/ January timeframe on an Oasis class ship (Oasis or Symphony preferably). We are torn between locking in the trip at these high prices or wait for things to clear up and see a price break. So here are my main questions:

1. We placed an open ended deposit on our last cruise (I know, we missed our OBC window but life happens). If we book Symphony of the Seas for December 12 and see a price drop, does this affect our ability to rebook? 
  2. Say we go with that December 12th cruise. The payment schedule would be something like 50% by September 28, +25% October 12, +25% November 11. We have never rebooked once booked so how would this work? If the price drops in August for the same cruise, could we simply rebook at the reduced price? We are also traveling with some friends and we have been thinking about doing connecting balconies. Would rebooking jeopardize this?

Thanks in advance! 

2 hours ago, ADunk said:

Hi All! Long time reader, first time poster...

1. Say we go with that December 12th cruise. The payment schedule would be something like 50% by September 28, +25% October 12, +25% November 11. We have never rebooked once booked so how would this work? If the price drops in August for the same cruise, could we simply rebook at the reduced price? We are also traveling with some friends and we have been thinking about doing connecting balconies. Would rebooking jeopardize this?

Thanks in advance! 

Welcome to the forums, @ADunk !!

There is no payment schedule other than your final payment date. For a 7-night cruise final payment date is typically about 90 days prior to sailing (around Sept 12, in the case of a Dec 12th cruise).

747227129_finalpaymemt.PNG.e6dccc17d47a463088335c0623960c61.PNG

If you were to cancel after final payment date there is a scale of how much of your full payment you'd  lose. 

cancellation.PNG.73d357c14207fc92b3247dca82209273.PNG

If you would book now and the price drops in August, you would just let your travel agent know (or Royal, if you book through them - most of us recommend using a travel agent), they would just reprice the cruise.  If you booked connecting balconies with your friend both sailings would just be repriced - the rooms do not change. 

I hope that helped.

So if my June cruise on the Symphony is cxl'd, I am looking at prices in July.  They are so much more!   I believe they have been high over the last couple months because it's summer time but what will make the prices drop?  It's only a week til the 90 day full payment is due for the cruises in mid to end of July.  

4 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

So if my June cruise on the Symphony is cxl'd, I am looking at prices in July.  They are so much more!   I believe they have been high over the last couple months because it's summer time but what will make the prices drop?  It's only a week til the 90 day full payment is due for the cruises in mid to end of July.  

I would fully expect prices to drop on most summer sailings soon if they haven't already.  While nothing is announced at this point, I would be hesitant at this point to book something for July, especially if you're looking at using any possible FCC from your June cruise if canx'd.  If Royal is sailing in July, I definitely wouldn't expect prices to go up at all, so you should have plenty of time to book.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, ADunk said:

Do you guys think we will see some price reductions going throughout the year once cruising resumes?

No one knows for certain, but I believe in the months after cruising resumes, there very well could be deep discounts.  It may be hit or miss.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:21 PM, CLD said:

Repriced my 12 night Dec 2020 cruise on Anthem this morning and saved over $1,000. Always pays to check prices periodically. 

Great move! 

Thanks all for the replies, we went ahead and booked on Monday! Now it’s time to watch. Already saved on our hotel in Miami. 

Tried to find a thread that kinda referred to current prices before starting a new one, Found this one.

I would love to see RCCL start a new sale that really has some great prices on what's left to summer cruising. 

Let's call it "Let's Get Back to Cruising Sale".  Enough of the "Up TO $200 INSTANT SAVINGS" and "OFFER ENDS TOMORROW MAY 5 2019"  being a little fun with the date.  I know that the return to sail date of June 12 might be extended again, but would think any money via FCC or new bookings could help the bottom line somehow.  

Question, on an Oasis class ship what do you think the % of passengers fly in for a cruise?  The reason I ask is those individuals probably would want to cxl sooner then later due to flights and other arrangements.  Or due to the current high prices, doesn't it mean people aren't cancelling and the ships are full from pre covid bookings?

I am bored out of my mind today, its raining in South Florida and I don't feel like working out which is odd.  If I am not making any sense Sorry!