FCC HELP!

Please forgive me for this topic. I was reading past posts about the FCC and I just feel overwhelmed (and still slightly confused). My husband and I are very fortunate to have his parents pay for a family cruise vacation (for 7 of us). We are (fingers crossed) expected to leave September 27 from NJ on Oasis. With everything going on, my mother-in-law really wants to cancel the cruise and reschedule for a later date. They only paid for the deposit right now (which I think was around $1,800 for 7 of us (4 staterooms, 2 interior and 2 balcony). The final payment is due at the end of June. I do understand that we have until September 1 to cancel to get the FCC.

My questions are: 1) Can we still cancel without the final balance being paid or do we have to pay the final balance in order to receive the FCC? 2) Is the FCC based on each person or stateroom/reservation (ie, will my husband and I each receive a credit or is it just one for the two of us). 3) If we do cancel and re-book at a later date, can we book ourselves through the website or do we have to call RC and book over the phone to apply the FCC? 4) My mother-in-law thinks she can get the deposit back but we have explained to her that (unfortunately) we chose not to have a refundable deposit. She thinks if she calls and complains, she will get her money back. Does she even have a chance (I think she does not)

Again, I am sorry for beating this topic to death. I am really hoping we can set sail in September but I understand my mother-in-law's concerns.

I will try to answer this to the best of my abilities. I am sure more people will help.....

If you know you want to cancel, it would be much better to NOT make any final payments. Since that would tie up your funds and because RCCI did not cancel the cruise you would be subjected to any fees. There is no way they will give you a refund with a nonrefundable deposit, it is imho a waste of your MILs time to even try. The FCC would be given to each passenger listed. However, I am told people have had success by removing a passengers name so they can get the FCC in their name only.

Now keep in mind the FCC for your September 27th cruise would fall under standard RCCI rules because it is past the cruise with confidence date of September 1st. You need to refer to your cruise contract.

This id Cruise with Confidence

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before September 1st, 2020 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines. Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

What kind of refund am I entitled to if I cancel my cruise booking?

A

For sailings departing on or before September 1st, 2020: 

Cruise with Confidence: Cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and get a future cruise credit good through 2021. Learn more.

For sailings departing after September 1st, 2020: 

Cruise with Confidence does not apply. Please see below for the Cancellation policy for all sailings departing after September 1st, 2020. 

Select fare programs require the payment at the time of booking of a nonrefundable deposit. That deposit amount shall not be refunded at any time after it has been paid. Change fees will apply to bookings for which the deposit is nonrefundable.

Cancellation of Cruise or CruiseTour. Cruises that are cancelled prior to the sail date, and CruiseTours that are cancelled prior to the first day of the CruiseTour, may be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of the cancellation charge shall be determined as shown in the table below and shall vary depending on how far in advance of the sail date (or first day of the CruiseTour) the Operator receives notice of cancellation.

FOR 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES
(including Holiday sailings)
IF CANCELLATION IS MADE
CANCELLATION CHARGE
75 days or more prior to the first day of the Cruise No charge (except for Nonrefundable Deposit amounts)
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price (No refund)

FOR 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER CRUISES
(including Holiday sailings and Cruisetours)
IF CANCELLATION IS MADE
CANCELLATION CHARGE
90 days or more prior to the first day of the Cruise No charge (except for Nonrefundable Deposit amounts)
89 to 75 days 25% of total price
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price (No refund)

Amend here's the regular refund for FCC**

Non-Refundable Deposit Fares

Outside of final payment, when a non-refundable deposit cancellation occurs, you will receive a Future Cruise Certificate in the amount of their designated cruise deposit, less a $100 per guest change fee. Such Future Cruise Certificates can be applied towards your future Royal Caribbean cruise vacation when reserved within 1 year of the issue date. Thereafter, the Future Cruise Certificate will expire and becomes invalid.

I think everything is going to change because it will be no selling for probably until August 1. And with that I am sure RC will need to extend time until people can cancel cruise. I am sure they will do it any moment now . That was per CDC from yesterday . 

2 hours ago, Kayleigh said:

I do understand that we have until September 1 to cancel to get the FCC.

This doesn't currently apply to your September 27 cruise since it falls after the September 1 date for the Cruise with Confidence policy.  Right now in your situation, the only date you need to cancel by is your final payment date.  At that point you get the FCC for the deposit already applied less a $100 change fee per person.

3 hours ago, Kayleigh said:

2) Is the FCC based on each person or stateroom/reservation (ie, will my husband and I each receive a credit or is it just one for the two of us).

FCCs are issued out in a single person's name and can only be applied to a cruise in that person's name.  If you cancel now there will be 7 separate FCCs issued for the deposit less the $100 change fee.

3 hours ago, Kayleigh said:

3) If we do cancel and re-book at a later date, can we book ourselves through the website or do we have to call RC and book over the phone to apply the FCC?

You can book yourself online or use a travel agent.  If you book online you do have to call Royal to apply the FCC.  There's a space on the payment screen when you book yourself online where you can enter in the FCC, but it states:

Note: Cruise Credits and Future Cruise Certificates will not be reflected in your payment summary today. We'll credit your account in 30 days.

Trust me with Royal IT, you definitely want to call or apply.  If you use a travel agent they will be able to apply your FCC when you book.

47 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

If you know you want to cancel, it would be much better to NOT make any final payments. Since that would tie up your funds and because RCCI did not cancel the cruise you would be subjected to any fees.

This is absolutely the best advice here.  If every single person in your cabin would not 100% go on the cruise if it were to sail as planned, then do not make that final payment.  The future outlook for cruising may be more apparent by the end of June when your final payment is due, but if that date comes and anyone is on the fence about it, you would be better off canceling before sinking any money in.  

We have a cruise booked end of August and got an email the other week about Cruise with Confidence.  Now this currently only applies for cruises up to Sept 1st, but am just mentioning in case they extend the same to cover your date (end of Sept) for your first question.

For us, it states that we can cancel up to 48 hrs of the cruise and lists a couple scenarios

1. If we booked with non-refundable and we cancel before our final payment, then the deposit would go towards FCC (i.e. normally you would lose $100/person). Any additional funds paid will be refunded.
  2. If we are past final payment date, then we get credit as a FCC for a cruise before Dec 31, 2021

No way of knowing if they will extend this offer (i.e. if you have yet to reach your final payment) but that is the current offer.

Just received my FCC April 10, 2020 from a canceled March 15, 2020 sailing.

The March 15 sailing was moved to July 4, 2020. Another deposit paid and also told I had to pay for the balance of the July 4 cruise (90 day rule) by April 5th, 2020 and then apply my FCC when I received it both from RCL and travel agent.

I read in my RCL FCC email that my FCC CAN NOT be applied to a cruise paid in full..which was done 6 days ago....or I would have my reservation canceled!

Called travel agent, I called RCL. Both declined to apply FCC to the July 4, 2020 paid in full cruise.

I now have a paid in full rescheduled "new" cruise for July 4, 2020 and an FCC from the canceled March 15, 2020 cruise which expires 12/2021.

To top it off, if the July 4, 2020 cruise is canceled due to the new CDC 100 day rule and FCC is issued for the July 4, 2020 cruise, I will have 2 FCC certificates that CAN NOT be applied to just one new future cruise.

Multiple FCC for the same person are required to be used separately on 2 DIFFERENT cruises.

If I request refund for the March 15, 2020 cruise I lose the $1000 rooms deposit.

Can’t really get ahead…..or break even.

Cruiser beware.

12 minutes ago, Matt Stayman said:

Just received my FCC April 10, 2020 from a canceled March 15, 2020 sailing.

The March 15 sailing was moved to July 4, 2020. Another deposit paid and also told I had to pay for the balance of the July 4 cruise (90 day rule) by April 5th, 2020 and then apply my FCC when I received it both from RCL and travel agent.

I read in my RCL FCC email that my FCC CAN NOT be applied to a cruise paid in full..which was done 6 days ago....or I would have my reservation canceled!

Called travel agent, I called RCL. Both declined to apply FCC to the July 4, 2020 paid in full cruise.

I now have a paid in full rescheduled "new" cruise for July 4, 2020 and an FCC from the canceled March 15, 2020 cruise which expires 12/2021.

To top it off, if the July 4, 2020 cruise is canceled due to the new CDC 100 day rule and FCC is issued for the July 4, 2020 cruise, I will have 2 FCC certificates that CAN NOT be applied to just one new future cruise.

Multiple FCC for the same person are required to be used separately on 2 DIFFERENT cruises.

If I request refund for the March 15, 2020 cruise I lose the $1000 rooms deposit.

Can’t really get ahead…..or break even.

Cruiser beware.

Since you've posted this in two different places, could you please provide the text of the email you received from RCCL that included your FCC? There have been multiple reports that, at least under "Cruise with Confidence", these FCCs have been accepted toward cruises paid in full, and in fact, my travel agent said she will be applying one for me in the next few days.

• 3 months later...

We used a fcc to pay for our cruise for may 2020. It got cancelled because of covid19. Rc tells us they will not give us a refund because the cruise was paid for with fcc. Now we are out all our money and no cruise. Is this right? I feel this is not fair because we did not cancel the cruise, it was due to covd19 and some exceptions should be made on the 12 month rule for ffc

2 hours ago, Pmckenzie said:

We used a fcc to pay for our cruise for may 2020. It got cancelled because of covid19. Rc tells us they will not give us a refund because the cruise was paid for with fcc. Now we are out all our money and no cruise. Is this right? I feel this is not fair because we did not cancel the cruise, it was due to covd19 and some exceptions should be made on the 12 month rule for ffc

I believe you should be receiving the FCC back (with an extra 25%) but with as many rule changes as there have been i could be applying the wrong logic.

2 hours ago, Pmckenzie said:

The FCC that was used should be reissued.  It can then be applied to another cruise.