NY Times -- Studies show NY Outbreak originated in Europe

From yesterday's Times, in my news feed today: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that it was brought to the region mainly by travelers from Europe, not Asia.

“The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at N.Y.U. Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

Bet you dollars to donuts that those European transmissions were by airplane and not cruise line. But will the Times, or any other news publication, or any scientists, say that?

I realize that cruising wasn't even brought up in this article, but that's kind of the point. This would be a chance to at least suggest that the pointless dog-pile on cruising was the canard that all of us have been saying it is. Cruising became a scapegoat for easy spread of the virus, instead of pointing the finger at all forms of mass (sometimes intercontinental) transportation. I want this stupid, pointless stigma against cruising to be dropped all gosh-darned ready!

And on a separate note from this particular article -- if I have to hear the phrase "floating petri dish" in association with cruising from a medical professional one more time in a news broadcast or video add-on to an article, I may well scream out loud at them as much as I want to slap stupid people I see on TV.

And no, for those of you who've gotten to know me, I'm not drinking Zinfandel. This is two bottles of Belgian Tripel talking. ??

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Makes a lot of sense given the dozens of flights between NYC and Europe daily.  From an airline perspective, NYC is the European gateway while major airports on the West coast are Asian gateways.

100% correct

Cities in Europe such as Rome, Milan, Madrid, Barcelona and London are also very popular with Asian Visitors on vacation, all major cities that Europeans also visit, along with NYC which is on a lot of females bucket list of places to go. So the chances of virus spreading in Airports such as Heathrow, Rome etc or on flights to NYC is probably higher than on any cruiseship

17 hours ago, JLMoran said:

From yesterday's Times, in my news feed today: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html

Bet you dollars to donuts that those European transmissions were by airplane and not cruise line. But will the Times, or any other news publication, or any scientists, say that?

I realize that cruising wasn't even brought up in this article, but that's kind of the point. This would be a chance to at least suggest that the pointless dog-pile on cruising was the canard that all of us have been saying it is. Cruising became a scapegoat for easy spread of the virus, instead of pointing the finger at all forms of mass (sometimes intercontinental) transportation. I want this stupid, pointless stigma against cruising to be dropped all gosh-darned ready!

And on a separate note from this particular article -- if I have to hear the phrase "floating petri dish" in association with cruising from a medical professional one more time in a news broadcast or video add-on to an article, I may well scream out loud at them as much as I want to slap stupid people I see on TV.

And no, for those of you who've gotten to know me, I'm not drinking Zinfandel. This is two bottles of Belgian Tripel talking. ??

This could be true, but I've trained myself the believe the opposite of anything written in the NYT.

17 hours ago, JLMoran said:

… and airplanes are flying petri dishes;  the subway is a rolling petri dish; and the Atalanta/Valencia Champions League game that contributed to the Italian and Spanish covid-19 explosions was a petri dish in a bowl.  

38 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

… and airplanes are flying petri dishes;  the subway is a rolling petri dish; and the Atalanta/Valencia Champions League game that contributed to the Italian and Spanish covid-19 explosions was a petri dish in a bowl.  

I'm much more worried about catching something while flying, or riding the bus or train on a daily commute than while I'm aboard a ship. Sadly, it doesn't help that so many people seem to see cruising as some sort of extravagance. ?

47 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

Floating Petri Dish sound like the perfect name for a new Quarantini.  Time to start working on the recipe! ????

Airplane toilet.  Yuck.  One of the most disgusting places on earth, second only to a Porta-Potti in the summer heat. I used to plan my trip to avoid using an airplane toilet, at least on domestic flights.  

When I used to fly a lot for business I would frequently catch something from a sore throat, sniffles, common cold or the flu.  Not sure if it was the airport, airplane, hotel room or rental car shuttle but since I've stopped flying so much and began cruising a lot my infection count has decreased significantly.  

In 2019 I had 140 nights with my head on a Royal Caribbean pillow and I didn't have a single ill moment.   A cruise ship bathroom is infinitely better than an airplane bathroom.

Oh how I miss cruising...

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Airplane toilet.  Yuck.  One of the most disgusting places on earth, second only to a Porta-Potti in the summer heat

I agree completely. It makes me recall a very recent flight in which I witnessed an individual attempting to appear over prepared for the current situation heading the to the airplane bathroom... equipped with a mask, rubber gloves and .... bare feet. ????

8 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I agree completely. It makes me recall a very recent flight in which I witnessed an individual attempting to appear over prepared for the current situation heading the to the airplane bathroom... equipped with a mask, rubber gloves and .... bare feet. ????

I guess the next pandemic will be bunions ???

On 4/10/2020 at 2:08 AM, JLMoran said:

Just wondering,

1. When did the US start testing and contact tracing, it they haven't then how do they come to this conclusion. 

2. I didn't realise that NYC airport only receives flights from Europe,  from what I've seen and read there was no isolation / segregation and testing done at any airport in the early days so couldn't it be just as feasible for infection contact to be made between many travellers from many parts of the world in arrivals and that contamination carried outwards.

I'm not trying to defend anything but just questioning the logic that they could identify ground zero this way.

14 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

2. I didn't realise that NYC airport only receives flights from Europe,  from what I've seen and read there was no isolation / segregation and testing done at any airport in the early days so couldn't it be just as feasible for infection contact to be made between many travellers from many parts of the world in arrivals and that contamination carried outwards.

JFK gets flights from all over the world

Without doubt this is probably how it spread, you could have someone from China traveling to Milan for a week, they come into contact with an Italian who's visiting Madrid the week after, once in Madrid the Italian hops on the Big Red Bus and sits next to a Guy from Brighton over for a weekend, Guy from Brighton heads home on a  flight to Heathrow where he bumps into a friend who's heading to New York. 

5 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Slight mutations of the virus. The virus all over NYC is more similar to the one found in Europe, vs the west coast cases which are more similar to the ones found in China. 

This. As of last week the scientists tracing the virus have found 8 dominant "strains" that are concentrated most heavily in specific parts of the world. None of the strains differ in terms of severity, morbidity, or infectiousness; the mutations are in non-functional / unimportant / unused parts of the genetic code, and just help the scientists as markers to trace who got which strain as they get swabbed and tested.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/27/scientists-track-coronavirus-strains-mutation/5080571002/?fbclid=IwAR2Ru3XGzW-O7QBxlwS3k07cLguj2KQ-S4ILLZuT2TJeX33OAQL6i3Dbk1Q