Upcoming Cruise - what to do

Hi,

First time to use this site and I was hoping to get some advice - I'm booked on the allure of the seas on the 20th of Sept 2020 and due to the current climate, I was wondering whether to cancel or to try and re-schedule it for a later date.

I have spoken to our travel agency and there advice was to adopt a wait and see approach - was hoping to get some feedback from people in a similar situation.  I know the allure of the seas was meant to be getting amplified but that has obviously been thrown into doubt - this would complicate things as its not exactly the cruise I originally booked.

Anyway any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would definitely wait and see if I was you for several reasons. 
1. Things could get dramatically better.

2. The current cruise with confidence program only runs through 9/1, so if you cancelled now you’d lose your deposit. 
3. While it’s doubtful that Allure gets its amplification this year, there’s always a possibility that Spain reopens for business, but the Mediterranean season gets cancelled, thus opening up a time to get the work done. 

32 minutes ago, roversworld90 said:

Hi,

First time to use this site and I was hoping to get some advice - I'm booked on the allure of the seas on the 20th of Sept 2020 and due to the current climate, I was wondering whether to cancel or to try and re-schedule it for a later date.

I have spoken to our travel agency and there advice was to adopt a wait and see approach - was hoping to get some feedback from people in a similar situation.  I know the allure of the seas was meant to be getting amplified but that has obviously been thrown into doubt - this would complicate things as its not exactly the cruise I originally booked.

Anyway any advice is greatly appreciated.

TA is correct, wait and see. That is a long way off, you'll be just fine to sail. We are planing to sail on our Oasis cruise in early Sept. I think your cruise is totally safe.

3 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

TA is correct, wait and see. That is a long way off, you'll be just fine to sail. We are planing to sail on our Oasis cruise in early Sept. I think your cruise is totally safe.

I suppose I'm worried that we will still be in the throes of this pandemic which then raises the question, will it be safe to go on a cruise this September?

1 minute ago, roversworld90 said:

I suppose I'm worried that we will still be in the throes of this pandemic which then raises the question, will it be safe to go on a cruise this September?

If it’s not I’m sure royal will extend the cancelation program. So acting now only leads to losing money. 

Hi and welcome to the boards.

There are several things to consider that could swing your decision. One very big one is the question of the "amping" that is now extremely unlikely to happen this spring/summer. If that was a primary driver in your choosing a cruise on Allure then you would have to ask yourself whether or not you would be satisfied sailing on a "non-amped" ship.

Flights may be another factor. Do you have flights booked? If so, how easily (if at all) can you change or cancel them?

Whether you booked with a refundable or non-refundable deposit would also come into play.  

Additionally, although the ship is at least on the right side of the Pond, there are only a very limited number of ports it can get into because of its size, so even if the ship is ready (amped or not),  some of the ports may have to be changed anyway.

Essentially, there is a very real chance that the cruise you booked will not be the cruise you get, if it goes ahead at all. However, like others are saying I think it's still too early for you to decide. Final payment isn't due for another couple of months by which time we will all have a much clearer idea of where this is all heading.

So, I would agree with your TA and other posters that you should bide your time for now. We are also booked on the Allure, but for the week after you, and that is very much our strategy at the moment.

11 minutes ago, roversworld90 said:

Please go to this website, I'm gonna leave a link. This is one very scary virus, its not to be taken lightly but its going to dissipate in a month or so. As long as we keep doing our part together but separate. Ha that is funny to say it like that. This website is where I get all my info from, its where I educate myself and keep from panicking. I always try to be realistic but look for the good news, be optimistic. This website helps. You can even check state by state, or the country as a whole.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

I spoke to RC a few weeks ago about a cruise we have booked for Allure in December. All we wanted to do was switch dates and boats -- for a cruise that's 9 months from now (!!) -- and even under the circumstances (the fact that the boat we signed up for probably won't be the boat we get) they were unwilling to waive the $100pp change fee. They've obviously been generous with people who had cruises canceled and, in my mind my cruise also is affected, albeit in a much less significant way. But I also wasn't asking for an 125% credit. I just wanted to switch my cruise for no additional fee. 

That far out and given the boat won't be what we thought we were getting, I really thought they'd just waive the dumb fee, but they were hardcore about it. No way, no how. 

35 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

I spoke to RC a few weeks ago about a cruise we have booked for Allure in December. All we wanted to do was switch dates and boats -- for a cruise that's 9 months from now (!!) -- and even under the circumstances (the fact that the boat we signed up for probably won't be the boat we get) they were unwilling to waive the $100pp change fee. They've obviously been generous with people who had cruises canceled and, in my mind my cruise also is affected, albeit in a much less significant way. But I also wasn't asking for an 125% credit. I just wanted to switch my cruise for no additional fee. 

That far out and given the boat won't be what we thought we were getting, I really thought they'd just waive the dumb fee, but they were hardcore about it. No way, no how. 

That is a tough one. I guess just bad luck because its so far out and things will probably be back to normal by then.