Drones

Does anyone have any experiece with bringing drones onboard? Does royal have any policies regarding the use and if your even allowed to bring them? I don't won't to show up at the pier with a drone I paid close to $1,000 for and then have them take it.  Any info is much appreciated.

Looks like if you want to use a drone you will need to stay off Royal. But if you did bring I do not believe you would loose it. It is not like bring illegal drugs on the ship, drone ownership is not prohibited under US law, use of them is in many cases. SO I believe Royal would keep until the cruise is over and then return.

I am not telling you to try to take on the ship only that I do not believe you would loose it.

As a balcony person, I certainly would not want a drone flying by my window. :-D

I was thinking more along the lines for in port. 

It's a shame because a drone could get some amazing shots in port! I don't think I would risk my Phantom but there are a number of cheaper options I would try out just in case they were confiscated or sacrificed in the water.

I was thinking of the same thing. Beautiful port and water shots.

All well maybe someday.

On a side note. When I was on a beach in Mexico someone was selling personalized videos from a drone, he would fly around getting a good view then hover over the customer as they swam. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

From the cruise lines side I can see how they would not want drones flying around the ship. It could be a major safety issue. The drone could fly into something, someone, or on the security side someone could use a drone to see things they should not. Not just looking into cabins, but ships security. And since they are radio controlled that to could be a issue. Private communication systems (except cell phones) are not allowed on cruise ships.

While I do not think the OP had any negative plans it just seems to be a bad idea.

• 4 months later...

We just came back from a fabulous cruise through western Norway. On more than one occasion I thought about how incredible it would have been to bring my Phantom 4 with me. As a photography and video hobbyist, the opportunities for outstanding footage were endless. 

While RC prohibits bringing drones on board, I have to speculate that would be to prevent anyone from flying them off the ship while at sea or in port. That's obviously a good reason. However, it is a shame that they've put a blanket prohibition on even bringing them at all. Carnival Cruises do let their customers bring them, but are not allowed to fly them off the ship.

Using drones for aerial photography is becoming more widespread. The technology has improved substantially, and the regulations that govern their use (in many countries) are designed to enhance safety while not stifling the ability to use these tools to create truly spectacular photos and videos.

I'm thinking it might be worth the effort to formally ask RC to allow people to bring drones on board, but with specified and strict rules. Examples would be, for example, having the ability to securely store the equipment while on board and be able to "check out" the gear during port calls.

Other cruise lines allow it, so I can't think of any particular reason why RC chooses not to.

Thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Major update from Royal Caribbean, after my inquiry. I am told that drone photography equipment may be boarded, but stored on board, and released to passengers at port calls. Drone pilots are solely responsible for complying with individual country's laws. Their website will be updated to reflect the change.

Major good news, especially for those of us who enjoy this burgeoning hobby.

Major update from Royal Caribbean, after my inquiry. I am told that drone photography equipment may be boarded, but stored on board, and released to passengers at port calls. Drone pilots are solely responsible for complying with individual country's laws. Their website will be updated to reflect the change.

Major good news, especially for those of us who enjoy this burgeoning hobby.

Thanks for the update!

• 1 year later...

It appears Drones are now allowed with certain restrictions:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-guests-bring-drones-onboard

Can guests bring drones onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?
Yes. Guests are welcome to bring drones on their cruise for use on land only and outside of the port area. However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean’s private destinations: CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti.

While onboard, drones must be stored safely in the stateroom. Drones used on the ship will be confiscated until the end of the cruise. A Guest Conduct Policy warning will be issued and guests may be subject to disembarkation at their own expense for onboard drone usage.

Guests assume full responsibility for understanding all local authority rules related to drone usage and for obtaining any required permissions for drone operations. Different countries may have different rules. Any liability, including environmental damage from drone usage is the guest's responsibility. Royal Caribbean assumes no liability for guest drones that may be confiscated by local authorities for violating local laws or for any accident or injury resulting from a guest drone flight.