Embarkation Lunch - Chops Grille

Hi, all!  I was wondering if anyone knew how the lunch worked for Chops on Embarkation day?  I know the Key lunch menu is served in the MDR, but the Cruise Planner shows a more robust menu for Chops lunch.  I have heard it go both ways that Chops serves the Key menu on embarkation day (not on others) and that it does serve the menu listed on the Cruise Planner.  Can someone who has cruised recently let me know?  If it helps, this is for Enchantment of the Seas in September 2020.  Thanks in advance for all of your help as always!

I have not been on Enchantment so I cannot confirm but on MOST ships, the Chops lunch (not including the Key) is served in the restaurant and uses the normal Chops lunch menu.  I do know that on Oasis, Chops is no longer open at all on embarkation day (unless this has changed since December).  So if you have purchased either a Chops lunch or the Unlimited Dining Package, you should be able to have lunch in the Chops restaurant on embarkation day, except on Oasis.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:10 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have not been on Enchantment so I cannot confirm but on MOST ships, the Chops lunch (not including the Key) is served in the restaurant and uses the normal Chops lunch menu.  I do know that on Oasis, Chops is no longer open at all on embarkation day (unless this has changed since December).  So if you have purchased either a Chops lunch or the Unlimited Dining Package, you should be able to have lunch in the Chops restaurant on embarkation day, except on Oasis.

Thank you!  Would you recommend paying for a specialty for embarkation lunch?  I have heard that the Windjammer is kind of nuts on day one.....Like we will not get enough food over a cruise....LOL.....We just want to be chill....

Thanks!

J

38 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

Thank you!  Would you recommend paying for a specialty for embarkation lunch?  I have heard that the Windjammer is kind of nuts on day one.....Like we will not get enough food over a cruise....LOL.....We just want to be chill....

Thanks!

J

You are very welcome.  Yes, I do think the Chops lunch on embarkation day is worth the money.  I don’t know if you can make a cruise planner reservation for embarkation day or not, but even if you cannot, I’m sure you can go on a walk-up basis and pay on site. I would recommend you go fairly early if you do it that way.  I think they’re usually open until 1:30 or 2:00.  It’s a very special, relaxed way to start your cruise. They normally open at noon.

Update:  I just looked online and I would have been able to book Chops for lunch on embarkation day if I wanted to do that.  That is somewhat confusing to me as the last time I was on Oasis, they had closed Chops completely on embarkation day....so I don't know if this is just a legacy glitch that still shows Chops available for embarkation lunch or if they have changed it back again so that Chops is actually open on embarkation day.  The price for embarkation day lunch was $21.99 PP.

So who knows if you can really have lunch at Chops on embarkation day or not.  It allowed me to put it into my cart but I did not try and complete the transaction.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Update:  I just looked online and I would have been able to book Chops for lunch on embarkation day if I wanted to do that.  That is somewhat confusing to me as the last time I was on Oasis, they had closed Chops completely on embarkation day....so I don't know if this is just a legacy glitch that still shows Chops available for embarkation lunch or if they have changed it back again so that Chops is actually open on embarkation day.  The price for embarkation day lunch was $21.99 PP.

So who knows if you can really have lunch at Chops on embarkation day or not.  It allowed me to put it into my cart but I did not try and complete the transaction.

On one of my cruises that's been cancelled now, I was able to both put it in my cart AND complete the transaction; I'm wondering if Chops was closed for "The Key" luncheon, which has now moved to the MDR?

3 hours ago, Chadster said:

I'm wondering if Chops was closed for "The Key" luncheon, which has now moved to the MDR?

Yes, that’s how it was explained to us.  Our Genie told us that they did not have the staff to cover both the Key lunch in the MDR and full service in the restaurant so they decided to just close the restaurant on embarkation day.  Maybe they have changed their minds or maybe they just never removed Chops day 1 from the options in the CP.  it will be December before I will see for myself.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, that’s how it was explained to us.  Our Genie told us that they did not have the staff to cover both the Key lunch in the MDR and full service in the restaurant so they decided to just close the restaurant on embarkation day.  Maybe they have changed their minds or maybe they just never removed Chops day 1 from the options in the CP.  it will be December before I will see for myself.

If I go forward on my June cruise, I'll book Chops for lunch on embarkation day through my Cruise Planner and report back.

The things we do in the name of research!